Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Daily Skincare - what are you using?

Often people ask for recommendations on a skincare routine or for specific products/combinations.  This might be a place to share your everyday skincare, both AM and PM.  A skincare "what are you wearing" as it were.  Hope this is useful.

*Age - 40

Skin type - oily/combination

Current skin condition - quite dehydrated (winter/indoor heating)*

01/17/16 - AM skincare in the order I used

1. Nude Jelly cleanser (love)

2. Pixi Glow tonic (5% glycolic toner - love)

3. Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Spritz (sample)

4. Radical Skincare Youth Infusion serum - hydrating and anti-ageing (new to me.  Testing)

5. Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream (like)

6. Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine cream (really like as an AM moisturizer)

I will try to post PM skincare tonight so the post can be comprehensive.

General comments - Okay skin.  Apparently the age between 38-42 is a transformational time in hormones (dehydrated skin/spots), so I am more aware of how my skin performs/reacts .  My skincare definitely has more "actives" now than before.

Re: Daily Skincare - what are you using?

I agree with greenchilli on everything. It's counterintuitive, but using an oil based cleanser will help soften the oil in your pores. Following that with a BHA has been effective for me (I use COSRX, it's thin and lightweight so it's easy to use before heavier products.) 

More exfoliant options for you: I also like the FAB radiance pads, and Pixi Glow pads. Glycolic acid works on the top layer of your skin while lactic acid sinks a little deeper to refine from below. Dr Dennis Gross is my favorite for retinols right now, although I just placed an order from The Ordinary because a $10 retinol was irresistible. 

You need a good oil! Patting a few drops on in the PM makes a huge difference in AM glow. 100% argan or cold-pressed sweet almond are good starters. My advice would be to avoid anything heavy on mineral or coconut oil to avoid further clogging your pores. If you want to go straight to the big guns, greenchilli introduced me to Aurelia cell repair oil and I'm obsessed with it.

@fairlywell

Thanks for all the advice!!  I have heard that adding oil is actually the way to go and was considering an oil based cleanser  (in tandem with a BHA) but was also recommended the  Anthony's Brand... 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/AM-PM-skincare-routine/m-p/2707015#M92317

What kind of oil based cleanser are you using or do you recommend?  Do you use this in addition to your PM oil? 

I for sure want to start adding an oil into the regimen... haven't decided which one yet (the Aurelia sounds awesome though) .  Having more trouble finding a sweet almond one.

Thoughts on Josie Maran or Sunday Riley? Those seem to be the popular ones?

Questions- would you put this on before or after your retinol or BHA ?So you use a combination of Oils, AHAs, BHAs, and retinol... and that isn't too harsh? 

@scarletb I haven't tried the Anthony cleanser! I've used the Boscia oil and liked it except that it felt so messy to use. I prefer a balm texture. Lately I've been using Nude Jelly Perfect Cleanse (sadly sold out everywhere), Banila Clean It Zero, and I've been playing around at making my own emulsifying balm with oils my skin particularly likes. 

The oil cleansing step is in addition to your treatment oils. If you are prone to breakouts, avoid shea butter and coconut oil. 

A note on second cleansers: if your second cleanse makes your face feel tight, dry, or squeaky clean - it's not a good one. Your oil cleanse should remove dirt/oil/makeup, leaving your second cleanse the easy job of floating any residual oil cleanse away. 

Sweet almond oil is a health food store staple. It's really only a fatty hydrator, but not knowing your budget it's a very inexpensive way to try adding the oil moisture step. I really really love the Aurelia, it's special! There are so many oils out there, and in many cases the brand will send a sample if you contact them directly. 

Depending on your skin you could add an AM oil as well, especially one that sinks in quickly. Indie Lee squalene is excellent for that.

I have the Josie Maran argan oil and it's very nice - but honestly not special. I do like Sunday Riley, and you can go to Sephora for samples of their oils before buying. I have too many on deck right now, but I would like to give Flora a try. 

Adding steps to your routine: the rule of thumb is to go light texture -> heavy. For me, that means:

-oil cleanse

-second cleanse

-toner, if using

-peel or mask, if using

-AHA/BHA (wait 10-15 minutes)

-essence

-serum

-retinol oil/serum

-SR Good Genes, if using (it's a lactic acid treatment but the texture is more like a lotion)(wait 10-15 minutes)

-Aurelia or other hydrating oil

-moisturizer if needed

In the morning I do a lot less:

-"second" cleanse

-toner/spritz

-essence/serum 

-light oil (for me, squalene) or moisturizer

-sunscreen

-coffee, then makeup (the only wait time here is for the sunscreen to set)

I obvioisly don't do all of the night stuff every day! If you add to your routine, incorporate a single new product no more often than every two weeks. It's good to build slowly and be cautious about being harsh. You, like me, may decide to shorten the wait period for things that are less intense. Definitely give your skin time to adjust to anything with retinol or a treatment like SR GG. 

Looking forward to seeing how your routine changes over time. 🙂

@scarletb

My input:

You are using a lot of drying products that are stripping your face of oil and leaving it more sensitive to breakouts and blackheads.  Oil is not the enemy, even for oily skins.

Caudalie Cleansing Water - This seems like a makeup remover and nothing more.  I don't recommend using it in the AM as a makeup remover is unecessary.  And it is definitely not a cleanser.  I recommend a gentle cleanser like Ren Evercalm Cleansing Milk. 

M61 Perfect Cleanse - When I looked this up, all I saw were surfactants.  Surfactants strip your skin of oil and give you that squeaky feeling (which is not good).  For your evening 2nd cleanse, try  NUDE Omega Jelly, or Tata Harper cleansers, or Ren cleansers.

Truth Serum is Vit C and Dr. Brandt is Retinol.  They do different things.  Test how your skin likes these.  If you would like to use both, use Vit C in the AM and Retinol in the PM.

Eradikate is a spot treatment for acne and not an exfoliant.  I don't use it, but friends have liked it.  For exfoliators, I like DDG alpha beta peels a lot myself.  And even FAB radiance pads.

I have not used Anthony's cleanser, but I looked it up.  Based on the ingredients, it isn't attractive to me.

I am personally not a fan of Boscia, Paula's Choice, Murad, etc.  Although I have liked perhaps one Murad product.  If you like these, go ahead and use it.  It is personal.  I

Be gentle with your skin and use hydrating products.  If you are able to, I suggest a good facial with extractions that will take care of the blackheads.  A good skincare routine will maintain a clear skin.

@greenchilli 

about the caudalie cleansing water... I've read some articles and was advised by another BTer that washing your face in the morning isnt a necessity and can actually be helpful to not over dry the skin. So while I know I don't have any makeup on when I wake up I have been using this as just a little pick me up opposed to washing my face.  That being said.. I've always been confused by Micellar  Water is marketed as a cleanser if everyone just calls it only a makeup remover.  As for Ren I have tried their vitamin C  radiance serum on a break from my truth serum and it was not my favorite. However looking at this product I am intrigued by the gentle " Cleansing milk" aspect and from the ingredients it seems like this is oil based (I understand that im not that oily and that some oil can be actually be good). I think the idea behind Anthony's was that. It is a gel/cream hybrid which would benefit my combination and the AHA not being too harsh because it is not on the skin for long. Any reason in particular it doesn't sound good to you?

I use my AHA product more often than the retinol. I'm looking to incorporate it sort of as needed. I use my vitamin c every morning. My question was weather I should use it again after a treatment to sort of return the moisture and antioxidants. Perhaps the aragan oil would be a good fit instead?

My apologies I meant exfolikate not eradikate!

I definitely do not do not want to strip my skin too much.  adding a toner to my routine was a new idea I had but this Origins one doesn't feel stripping it just doesn't feel useful. And I've used it only on my tzone. Same with the retinol

@scarletb

Caudalie Cleansing water has no skincare benefits.  It serves to remove makeup.  If you are not removing makeup, then you are using something harsh unnecessarily.   

Ren Cleasning Milk is ideal for sensitive skin.  Your skin is sensitive as a result of using so many drying and stripping ingredients.  Your AM cleanser and your PM 2nd cleanser should be gentle on your skin.  A good oil cleanser (like Tata Harper) are great for removing makeup and also cleansing skin.  So you can use this anytime.

I would suggest not seeking out products for "combo/oily" skin.  Unfortunately most products that cater t this strip your skin.  Anthony's cleanser has a surfuctant and alcohol in the top ingredients.  Thee is glycerin to counter the alcohol, but I would pass.

Anonymous Insider

PM 

I did a mask tonight by mixing Leahlani Mermaid mask and Leahlani siren serum. (The serum

by itself I'm not too thrilled about) 

IMG_3731.JPG

@Anonymous have you tried the Leahlani Champagne serum? It's on my want list but I'm not sure if it is more novelty than staple item. 

Anonymous Insider

@fairlywell

No I haven't tried the champagne serum. The only product I will repurchase from this brand is the mermaid mask. 

Anonymous Insider

PM 

IMG_3696.JPG

Skin Type: Combo

Concerns:  Aging and fine lines/wrinkles

AM 3/12

1) Murad Refreshing Cleanser

2) Murad essential C toner

2.5) Rodan and Field Microdermabrasion 

3) Shiseido Ultimune Power Infusing Concentrate

4) IT Bye bye Undereye cream

5) Philosophy Miracle Worker Cream

PM 3/12

1) PTR- Glycolic Face Wash

2) Murad- ESsential C toner

3) PTR- Retinol Fusion PM

4) Murad- Hydro-dynamic quenching essence 

5) PTR- Cellular Eye Cream

6) Lancôme- Energie de vie overnight mask

IMG_0041.JPG

AM, feeling a little less parched. The Kypris antioxidant dew is a total guilty pleasure. I'm not sure exactly what it's doing but I love it. 

Hi, I've been really enjoying seeing everyone else's skincare routine and just wanted to share my routine. I would really appreciate any feedback or suggestions that the skin experts may have 😊

Skin type: dry with oily T zone

Current skin condition: getting back to normal after experimenting with Sunday Riley Good Genes and Tidal which left my skin super dry with flakey patches on my nose and chin. 

PM skin routine

IMG_3213.JPGBioderma micellaire water

Amore Paific treatment cleansing foam

Nude omega cleansing jelly (alternate this with Amore Pacific cleanser)

Biologique Recherche Lotion P50T

Biologique Recherche Masque Vivant (twice a week)

Amore Pacific Future Response Age Defense Serum

Amore Pacific Future Response Age defense Creme

Welcome! I spy a fellow Nude Omega Jelly fan. 🙂

Thank you @fairlywell! I recently added this to my routine based on how many times I've seen it appear on everyone's routine. I'm just worried about the apparent shortage of this lovely stuff😅

Anonymous Insider

PM

IMG_3621.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

PM, trying to hydrate after being sick all week. My rosewater toner didn't make it into the picture, but it should be right between the su:m cleanser and the sheet mask. (I have a thing for roses.) Letting things sink in slowly between steps as I finish up some work tonight!

@fairlywell

It warms my heart to see Aurelia in your routine.  Feel better soon...

I haven't posted an AM routine in a while.  But I do have mornings....early mornings.

AM skincare - 03/10/17

Age - 42

Skin - Fine

20170310_AM (Large).jpg

1. Tata Harper Refreshing Cleanser - I have used all TH cleansers,  but the Refreshing and the Nourishing Oil are my very favourite.

2.  Biologique Recherche P70 PIGM 400

3. S-man Velvet Skin Brightening serum

4. Collin 5 Expertise Eye Cream

5. Tata Harper Rebuilding Moisturiser - this has been great since its warmed up.  My skin likes it.  It is a lighter moisturiser (lotion like).

yesterday: 3/9/17. a.m. 

• NUDE omega jelly cleanser
  • MURAD essential-c hydrating toner
  • VICHY aqualia thermal serum
  • ORIGINS ginzing eye cream
  • AVEDA botanical kinetics hydrating lotion

came home mid-day, knowing i was going out again later. took makeup off and did a hydrating facial:

• CLINIQUE TTDO balm
  • NUDE omega jelly
  • PETER THOMAS ROTH rose stem cell mask.
  • REN vita mineral omega oil
  • AVEDA moisturizer

a good 8 hours later, p.m.:

• CLINIQUE ttdo balm
  • NUDE omega jelly cleanser
  • FAB facial radiance pad
  • ANDALOU NATURALS 1000 roses mist
  • SUNDAY RILEY good genes
  • (just a hint, like a tiny drop) REN vita mineral omega oil
  • KIEHLS midnight recovery eye cream
  • pump of AVEDA botanical kinetics moisturizer to seal it all in

this is a lot for one day (albeit mostly quite gentle and hydrating). i would not do allllll this every day, but it's what my dehydrated (i should stop drinking !) skin called for and my skin is remarkably happy this morning. it was an intervention of sorts.

3/10/17 a.m.

• REN evercalm cleansing milk
  • FARMACY dew mist
  • CLINIQUE pep start eye cream
  • LAURA MERCIER flawless skin infusion de rose nourishing oil (just a couple drops pressed mostly into my inner  cheeks and forehead)
  • AVEDA botanical kinetics moisturizer.

@jemly do you like the Keihls  midnight recovery eye cream? I'm currently using Benefit It's Potent but when I'm done I want to go back to Origins GinZing for the day and I've been looking for something more powerful for the night for my dark circles

1 Reply
testing