Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Daily Skincare - what are you using?

Often people ask for recommendations on a skincare routine or for specific products/combinations.  This might be a place to share your everyday skincare, both AM and PM.  A skincare "what are you wearing" as it were.  Hope this is useful.

*Age - 40

Skin type - oily/combination

Current skin condition - quite dehydrated (winter/indoor heating)*

01/17/16 - AM skincare in the order I used

1. Nude Jelly cleanser (love)

2. Pixi Glow tonic (5% glycolic toner - love)

3. Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Spritz (sample)

4. Radical Skincare Youth Infusion serum - hydrating and anti-ageing (new to me.  Testing)

5. Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream (like)

6. Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine cream (really like as an AM moisturizer)

I will try to post PM skincare tonight so the post can be comprehensive.

General comments - Okay skin.  Apparently the age between 38-42 is a transformational time in hormones (dehydrated skin/spots), so I am more aware of how my skin performs/reacts .  My skincare definitely has more "actives" now than before.

Re: Daily Skincare - what are you using?

@Anonymous

I did the whole ML facial routine tonight 🙂  I planned it for last Friday, but instead I went out for movie and meatballs.  Fair trade off.

Type:  Oily/Combination with Redness on cheeks

AM
Vanicream cleanser
Sunday Riley Good genes
Algenist Sublime Defense Anti-Aging Blurring Moisturizer SPF 30
Algenist Complete Eye Renewal Balm

PM
Neutrogena makeup wipe
Purity on my clarisonic
Sunday Riley Lina OIl
Fresh Seaberry Oil
Belif Aqua Bomb

combo skin, a little dry lately 

I pulled an all nighter yesterday, which means no skincare last night or this morning. haven't felt so bad for a while! I am making a promise to myself to never ever do this again. 

- Banila Balm to remove make up

- ML Problem Solver and Honey Mud mixed together. Let it dry for 45'

My skin is generally pretty good with acne. I maybe have one or two spots every once in while. If I sleep w my

make up on or leave it on for too long, it's a different story. So after yesterday, there is some redness on my nose, so let's see if the mask will help.

- Son&Park Beauty Water

- May Coop Raw Sauce

- La Mer eye concentrate

- DE TLC night serum

- DE marula oil

- DE lala cream

- La mer lip balm

it's my first time trying DE, so I am pretty excited to see how it goes. I have been using the Sunday Riley Tidal, and it seems like it's not enough for my skin, so in the drawyer it goes to wait for warmer days.

This was my solo mid-day skincare routine today.  It has been one of those fabulous days of nesting and being completely unproductive.  Why are such days not ALL the days?

Skincare routine 01/21/17

Age - 41

Skin type/condition - oily and slightly dehydrated.  Otherwise good.

20170121_PM2.jpg

1. Tata Harper Refreshing Cleanser

2. FAB Radiance pads - these are quite gentle.  I used them today because I plan to add another "leave on" acid later.

3.  Sunday Riley Good Genes - Lactic acid treatment.  This is the only SR product I use/like.  Unfortunately I have been underwhelmed by her other products (didn't suit me personally).

4. Dr. Dennis Gross Ferulic+Retinol eye cream - I rotate daytime eye creams often enough.  But at night I find myself just using this.

5. Aurelia Cell Repair Night oil - cuz you know I will marry this.

6. Puppy kisses - solves all skincare ailments due to magical properties.

Anonymous Insider

Puppy Kisses❤❤❤❤❤

@greenchilli Good Genes is the only SR product that works for me too. I liked Luna at first but then I noticed it would make my skin red and warm after applying - not good.  The same thing, to a lesser degree, happens with Tidal.

Unrelated to your post, but I've been meaning to ask you what you think of the cotton pads that come with the Dr. Jart Micro Milk Peel.  I like the actual peel but I don't think I care for the pads.  They absorb so much product and the exfoliating side doesn't do anything for me.  I'm considering ditching them and just applying with my hands or using a thinner pad that won't waste so much product.  Even though it's on the cheaper side of most skincare products, I don't like waste.

Hi @kso1225

I find the Dr.Jart pads okay.   I find myself dumping too much product from the bottle sometimes, but I think the pads seem similar to other cotton pads in terms of absorption.

Also, the exfoliating side actually feels a bit rough on my skin, the edges feel "sharp".  So I only use the soft side.  I typically use the Dr.Jart milk when I am seeking a mild exfoliation anyway. 

11/18/2017 PM

Condition: meh, average

-Farmacy Green Clean

-Pixi Mud Cleanser blended with Graydon Clinical Scrub/Mask

-Drunk Elephant TLC serum

-ML Jasmine Garden

-Odacite Autumn on the World, Bl+C, Jo+L, Ac+R

ML Blue Cocoon

-Dr Jart Watermax Sleeping Mask

-Farmacy Eye Dew

-Beauty Chef Beauty Fix lip/skin balm

Last night I decided to try out a new scrub.  I've trialled products from Graydon Clinical (a Toronto brand) on and off during the past 6 months.  Some I've liked (Detox+Renew Serum) and some I've been indifferent about (Green Cream, Face Food Mineral Mist) but I recently picked up their Scrub/Mask because I thought it sounded like a novel concept.  It's a jar of powder (like a lot of these dry-mix-it-yourself masks) but the powder is contained in little pill capsules so you always get the proper dosage and it's easy to travel with.  They say you can mix it with honey or yogurt, blend with a cleanser and apply as a scrub, or leave it on as a mask.  I chose to go the cleanser route and the mixture felt smooth and moussey on the face. When I rinsed it off 15 minutes later there was gentle exfoliation and I noticed a slight brightness to my skin.  I'm intrigued.  I will continue to use it and may pick up a few of the other products I haven't yet sampled from the brand.

Also thinking it's about that time for me to switch from my Odacite 'Autumn' serum to the 'Winter' one.  The indoor heating and cold air have been killing me lately, no matter how much water I drink.  

The capsule idea is very smart! Certainly takes the guesswork out and no need for measuring spoons.

Type:  Oily/Combination with Redness on cheeks

AM
Vanicream cleanser
Drunk Elephant Firma C
Algenist Sublime Defense Anti-Aging Blurring Moisturizer SPF 30
Algenist Complete Eye Renewal Balm

PM
Neutrogena makeup wipe
Purity on my clarisonic
Drunk Elephant Glycolic Acid
Fresh Seaberry Oil
Belif Aqua Bomb

Condition: Slightly dry to normal. Irritation just below lower lash line. I think my Retin-A has gotten to close to my eyes when I apply moisturizer on top.

Kept the routine simple and gentle today so I could try Drunk Elephant TLC Sukari Babyfacial this evening.

AM:

Cerave Foaming Face Cleanser

Timeless 20% Vitamin C, E + Ferulic

DDG Clinical Hydration Booster

Murad Hydro Dynamic Moisturizer

PM:

Cerave Foaming Face Cleanser

Drunk Elephant TLC Sukari Babyfacial - leave on 20 mins and rinse

DDG Clinical Hydration Booster

Murad Hydro Dynamic Moisturizer

Drunk Elephant Marula Oil - against my better judgement and already regretting that decision.  

@kso1225  what are your thoughts on the DE baby facial so far? i'm so curious!

@unfungirl I am really impressed with it so far and am so excited to have this in my routine.  I wasn't sure if I'd see significant results using this once a week since I use Framboos every night (or almost), but I certainly do so far.  I like to reserve full judgement until after I've used skincare products for a few weeks at least, but I can certainly tell you more about my first impression.

DE advises to not use acids/retinols the day before and after using this treatment. Of course I didn't listen to that.  I know I at least used the DE Framboos serum the night before. I think I skipped Retin-A and my PTR Glycolic Moisturizer, but can't remember for sure. 

I applied 2-3 pumps to clean, dry skin. I don't know if that was the right amount or too much, but it felt like the right amount for a mask.  It has a grainy texture and with less product I would have had to rub it around more, potentially risking irritation from physical exfoliation.  I did experience pretty intense tingling at first and thought that I might have to wash off the treatment. However it stopped after a minute or so and I didn't notice anything for the remainder of the 20 minutes I had the mask on.  I washed it off using a wash cloth and was expecting my skin to be sensitive and maybe red from that initial tingling but it wasn't at all. My skin was just clear and very smooth.  It seem to have cleared out the remaining congestion in my pores.  The smoothness of my skin reminded me of using Ole Henriksen's Power Bright or Power Peel, but I experience redness for a little after using those (maybe from the fragrance...I'm realizing fragrance often causes redness and warming for me).

Overall I am very impressed that they were able to make such an intense and effective product as gentle as it is.  IMO if you can use the Framboos serum, your skin should be okay with this one as well and you'll see bigger results with babyfacial. The tingling I experienced might be normal because it's mentioned on the "how to use" tab, but it also could be from using Framboos the night before.

Price isn't everything in a product, but I'm pretty happy with the price on this. $80 for 1.69oz compared to $90 for 1oz of Framboos serum. Framboos seems to last me forever (1 pump most days of the week) so I'm expecting similar longevity with babyfacial (2-3 pumps once or twice a week).

As a side note, DE includes a tiny sample of marula oil with babyfacial. I thought that was a really nice touch since they recommend using it after the facial.  However, it makes my skin break out in itchy bumps, so use with caution. I'd hate for someone to use this product and think babyfacial was the culprit rather than the marula oil. Their C-Firma serum also contains marula oil and it also caused a lot of congestion and bumps for me, though not as bad as the pure marula oil. I've seen several reviews on C-firma causing breakouts and congestion, so I know it's not just my skin.

Hopefully that helps, but of course if you have any other questions let me know.  I'll be updating my thoughts after I've used it for a few weeks.  

Wow, thanks so much for the detailed response @kso1225!! 

I am a big fan of the Framboos serum, so I think the baby facial would work quite well for me. My skin isn't very sensitive to acids or rentinols, and I do get congestion in my T-zone, so I'm always looking to combat that.

Oddly enough, marula oil causes me to itch like crazy too! I couldn't figure out why the firma-c was making me itch until I tried a sample of the plain marula oil and it made me itch even worse! 

Thanks for pointing out the economic aspect too- I don't mind spendy skin care products if they work, but it's always good to consider the value too.

I can't wait to try this! Many thanks for the info 🙂

I second this question!  I'm wavering on weather I "need" this right now. I love all my DE products, but I'm trying to cut back my spending a bit the first part of the year, and am trying to decide if I should wait for the spring sale...

@missjeanie I put my full thoughts above, but I wanted to specifically comment here about getting it now vs waiting. I think as long as you have a good routine going now you can wait for it and save a few dollars. Since you only use it 1-2 times a week, I think it's an excellent add-on, but not as important as your daily routine.

However if your skin is feeling especially dull and your current exfoliating acids aren't doing the trick, it might be worth splurging on now.  It's a truly personal call, but the product itself is excellent and I will definitely keep it in my routine if the results I've seen so far continue.  I decided to buy now rather than wait because my skin really seemed like it could use a "pick me up" and this did the trick.

@kso1225. Thanks so much for your reply!  I actually am unsure how I feel about skincare routine these days.  It's not horrible by any means, I just feel like it could be more effective somehow.   I started using only DE products about a week ago after flirting with the cleansing bars off and on for a year and a half, and using up a bottle of the night serum.  I saw something somewhere where DE was challenging not people to use only their products for a few weeks to see the difference it could make.  I have at least samples of the full line so figured why not.  It's only just clicked for me after reading your post above that this was the first time I'd been using the vitamin C serum, and the texture on my skin has gotten noticeable. It's never really been bad but is now worse.  I was giving the credit to some purging, but the texture was something I had after trying the Marula oil as well last year. The oil was the only product I haven't been using.  I'm pretty simple in my skincare, a cleanser, night serum and moisturizer twice a day.  exfoliant and masks once or twice a week so the DE 'system' sounded appealing.  I'm going to cut out the vitamin c and use up the 5 or 6 ole power peel packs I forgot I even had, along with some possible new pixi products before jumping onto the baby skin facial thanks to your suggestion.  I know I'll end up purchasing during the next sale, but I'm kinda excite don't to try something a little less expensive and to shop some of my stash!   Thanks so much for the review and suggestions!  

Skin state - oily and a bit dehydrated.  Otherwise fine.

01/18/17 - PM skincare:

20170118_PM (Large).jpg

1. Cleanse - Emma Hardie Moringa balm

2. May Lindstrom Clean Dirt - physical exfoliator.  I don't often use a scrubby product, this is a rare deviation.  Only cuz I trust May.  

3. MV Organic Rose Hydrating Mist - a fave

4. Aurelia Revitalise and Glow serum

5. DDG Ferulic +Retinol eye cream

6. Aurelia Cell Repair Night oil

7. Puppy kisses

Long night of work ahead of me.  I plan to rinse and repeat #3 and #7 for the next few hours.

SKIN TYPE/ISSUES:

Normal to Dry Skin

Sensitive

Acne Prone (mainly chin/forehead area)

Dark Spots

AM Routine:

1. Philosophy Purity Cleanser

2. Son & Park Beauty Water toner

3. Missha Essence

4. Belif Eye Cream/Moisturizer

5. Sunscreen

PM Routine:

1. Banila Co - Clean it Zero Cleansing Balm

2. Philosophy Purity Cleanser

3. Skin Food - Rice Mask (every other day)

4. Son & Park Beauty Water toner

5. Missha Essence

6. Drunk Elephant - Night Serum

7. Face Mask (every other day)

8. Belif Eye Cream/Moisturizer

I used to have really dry skin and now I can say that it's more normal to dry now. I'm still trying to work on lightening my dark spots and a solution for my hormonal acne but it's very hard to "fix" 100%. But if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'm open for ideas.

I've read that taking Omega-3 vitamins helps regulate hormones and can possible help hormonal acne.  I struggle with it too and I'm planning to add Omega-3 to my vitamin regimen.

It's been so long since I've been here. Where better to start the here because I'm beefing up my skin care routine.  

Type: Combo/Acne-prone

Current condition: Sometimes I wonder why she hates me so much...

AM

First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Deep Cleanser with Red Clay --> Using Boscia konjac sponge

First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads

Boscia Clear complexion Tonic

Boscia Clear Complexion Treatment + Clear Complexion Willow Bark Spot Treatment

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Hydrating Serum

**Going to switch to the Anti-Redness Serum

First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Daily Face Cream

+ I use the Murad Invisiblur SPF/treatment/Primer before makeup.

PM

Boscia MakeUp-BreakUp Cool Cleansing Oil

First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Deep Cleanser with Red Clay --> Using Boscia konjac sponge

**Going to switch to the Peter Thomas Roth Irish Moor Mud Cleanser

First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads

Boscia Clear complexion Tonic

Boscia Clear Complexion Treatment + Clear Complexion Willow Bark Spot Treatment

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Hydrating Serum 

Boscia Oil-Free Nightly Hydration

Also at night on Monday and Friday I will use:

Philosophy the microdelivery exfoliating wash

Masks: Currently Only

Philosophy Purity made simple mask

but looking for a deeper cleaning mask for on Friday.

testing