Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Daily Skincare - what are you using?

Often people ask for recommendations on a skincare routine or for specific products/combinations.  This might be a place to share your everyday skincare, both AM and PM.  A skincare "what are you wearing" as it were.  Hope this is useful.

*Age - 40

Skin type - oily/combination

Current skin condition - quite dehydrated (winter/indoor heating)*

01/17/16 - AM skincare in the order I used

1. Nude Jelly cleanser (love)

2. Pixi Glow tonic (5% glycolic toner - love)

3. Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Spritz (sample)

4. Radical Skincare Youth Infusion serum - hydrating and anti-ageing (new to me.  Testing)

5. Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream (like)

6. Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine cream (really like as an AM moisturizer)

I will try to post PM skincare tonight so the post can be comprehensive.

General comments - Okay skin.  Apparently the age between 38-42 is a transformational time in hormones (dehydrated skin/spots), so I am more aware of how my skin performs/reacts .  My skincare definitely has more "actives" now than before.

Re: Daily Skincare - what are you using?

I have been using the one from Drunk Elephant for about 6 months and absolutely love it! My skin is quite sensitive (cannot handle any fragrance/dyes), and has handled the C-Firma quite well! Some tingling at first is normal as it is a high percentage, but you could always try using it every other day or so at first. My skin has quite a bit of acne scarring from recent years. The scarring is not textured, but since I'm so fair the marks were quite red, even after a decent amount of time. Since using the C-Firma consistently for 6 months, my scars have lightened significantly and my skin just looks so much clearer and smoother over all. One thing I will say is that it is quite a runny texture, so when you squirt it out, direct it right into the palm of your hand, otherwise it will get all in between your fingers and then is difficult to spread  on the face. It is a bit $$ so I find by squirting it into my hand and then using  my fingers from the other hand to spread it on my face before pressing it in really makes use out of every last drop!

Edit: I should also add that any other Vitamin C product I have tried (Including, sadly, the Paula's Choice Vitamin C Booster) has made me breakout horribly with blackheads, whereas this did not happen with the DE C-Firma. That alone was reason enough for me to be loyal to it, the amazing results were definitely the cherry on top!

@mrsbaine  TY, I am going to order  it! :)))

Great @luvgloss13! Please let us know how you like it! I've been falling in love with drunk elephant lately. 

Yeah if you @sabrinas have sensitive skin maybe try it how @mrsbaine suggested first! I don't have sensitive skin so I can do it daily. I got both kits the one with the full size hydra gel and night serum so I still have two of the minis of the C serum. However I really hope they come out with a set for the C serum so I can get the full size, that wouod be awesome!

@mrsbaine @tammmmy Can you ladies let me know how you use this vitamin c serum? It says that it lasts on the skin for 72 hours, even with cleansing/sweating/whatever, but no where does it say to only use it every 2-3 days.  The instructions sound like it's a daily thing, yet I find it weird if it needs to be daily if it stays for 72 hours? Can you help me out please? 😄

@sabrinas - 

@mrsbaine mentioned an important point with any acids - leaving it on for a few minutes before continuing with the rest of your skincare.  

Vitamin C is finicky and breaks down in air and light once it's dispensed and a change in pH balance can easily render it ineffective so it's best to leave it on for at least a few minutes first.

You'll notice it's tacky upon application - a good rule of thumb is to wait for the tackiness to dry down a bit. 5-15 minutes should be enough for full absorption, but a few minutes till it dries will help a lot with visible results. 

This one is a bit different since it's housed in an oil, and L-ascorbic acid is water soluble. There are a few different types of vitamin C in this product, but I'll assume the price tag is for the L-ascorbic acid. Other types of vit c are oil-soluble. 

Another point of confusion - if anyone has an answer, I would appreciate it. The bottle says 15% L-ascorbic acid on the front, and the key ingredients on the back list 5% L-ascorbic acid. That's quite the difference. The creator has also previously commented that you can mix this with the other products in application, but I don't entirely understand how that would work without disturbing the pH balance.

All that being said, I'm not a chemist and I will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they've figured out how to stabilize the formula in the oil and make it work beautifully. I use it, but I don't find myself using it often just because it bugs me in theory - it also tints my face a bit orange and it can take some time to dissipate so it's not my first choice when I'm rushing. 

The 72 hour effect just means that the protective effects remain for 72 hours - I believe they found that in relation to protection against free radicals and increasing the efficacy of topical sunscreen, but it might be an overall effect. I'm pretty sure it's something about the half-life of vitamin c and how long it stays viable in your system, but you need continuous application to keep a steady amount for photoprotection.

Hope that helps even a little...

from what I understand, when the DE creator was referring to its ability to mix with other products she was referring to her line specifically since all Drunk Elephant products are developed to be an optimum PH level, therefore mixing Drunk Elephant products together is fine as they are all in a similar PH range.

The question becomes how effective is it if mixed with products from another line that aren't an optimum PH level.

I'm totally not a chemist and could definitely be wrong, please correct me if so, I'm always open to learning! But from what I gathered I think thats what Tiffany Masterson was referring to in regards to being able to mix the C-Firma with her other products. I know that she has recommended mixing it with the B-Hydra gel in the past

@EmmyLove That would make sense. I would hope after taking the time to formulate an air-tight, pH appropriate stable vitamin C, the company wouldn't ruin it with suggestions that would reduce the efficacy of the product. 

That would make me feel a bit better though haha. Thanks! 

Hi Sabrina, I just use it daily after I have washed my face and toned. I put four dots on my face and then just spread it with my hands, its very runny and at first feels kind of sticky but the feeling goes away once it soaks into your skin. Its very important that you use a strong spf (I use obagi spf 50) after all your skin care in the morning or else you can get sun spots/unwanted sun burn. I've been using it for about a month and I think its definitely helped lightened my acne scars, most are almost gone! I think the 72 hrs thing is just how long it will keep on working on your skin, but don't quote me on that lol

Good luck and let us know how it works for you! I would also recommend watching the video I posted below, she gives a lot of great info on skin care! 

@tammmmy @mrsbaine Thanks so much! I actually just used it for the first time this morning! I got a set from Sephora which had a few minis and then the full sized hydra gel thing.  I like it so far, but I think I may try using it every other day and see how that works, and if I don't notice anything, I'll start doing it daily.

I know for sure with the nighttime framboos serum thing, they recommend to start off slow and apply every other day until my skin seems okay with it, so I think I'll do the same with the vitamin c serum! 

We all made out with those sets! 😄 I got the one that had the big night serum, and small Vit c and hydra gel. I finished the Vit C finally about 2 weeks ago after probably a month or 6 weeks using the mini. A little went a long way. I have a full size of the Vit c now. My rule of thumb when trying new skincare is to try it on one half of my face for a series of days to see if there is a reaction. I hope you see the results you're looking for! 

Sure @sabrinas! I use it daily after I wash my face. I see the best results used that way. After application, I wait  a couple minutes and apply moisturizer than sunscreen. I hope that helps. I believe some people had issues using it daily, but my skin seems to be fine with it. 

I am currently using the Drunk Elephant C serum and loving so it far. I purchased it during the rouge sale in the kit, but they also sell mini kits. 

Stephanie Nicole sold me on it! 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAHwRp0HVW8&t=1182s

Forgot to mention, she talks about it at 11:02

@luvgloss which ones have you tried ? it may be worth checking out KIEHL'S vitamin c serum which is called "powerful strength line-reducing concentrate". it has 10.5% vit c. 

I don't take well to Vitamin C, but this one is pretty great -- Klairs Freshly Juiced Drop Vitamin C Serum.

1/13/2017 AM

Condition: Bone Dry Dehydrated

Pixi Glow Tonic

Body Shop Tea Tree Oil

Blithe Vital Treatment 8 Bean Essence

Youth To The People Kale Tripeptide Hyaluronic Serum

Murad Hydro Dynamic Quenching Essence

Odacite Bl+C, Jo+L, Pa+G

Farmacy Eye Dew

Farmacy Lip Bloom

One Love Organics Vitamin D Moisture Mist

It's been cold, then not cold, then cold again this week and all the ups and downs and indoor heating have been leaving my face feeling crunchy and parched.  Plus I've been sick so my hydration level is a bit crap.  

Other than the dehydration, my skin is looking good.

@Mochapj Is the Murad Hydro Dynamic Quenching Essence helping? My skin is in the same state for the same reasons and I'm considering picking up a mini of the essence at Ulta to try. 

@kso1225 It definitely adds extra hydration.

@jemly turned me on to it a few months ago and I do feel an improvement when I use it. 

Unfortunately due to the type of work I do dehydration is always a losing battle I'm fighting, so I need every little bit of help I can get 😂

Skintype: Dry
Current skin: Dry

AM skincare 1/13/17
1. boscia Tsubaki Splash Mask(used in shower before I step out) 

2. Fresh Soy Face Cleanser (Low pH, non drying)
3. Belif Witch Hazel Herbal Extract Toner
4. Missha First Treatment Essence
5. Clinque Pep-Start Eye Cream
6. Dr. Jart Ceramidin Liquid
7. Corsx Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence
8. Dr. Jart Ceramidin Cream
9. Sunscreen! I use various water based formulas.

PM skincare 1/13/17
1. Belif Cleansing Oil. 
2. Fresh Soy Face Cleanser 
3. Belif Witch Hazel Herbal Extract Toner
4. Missha First Treatment Essence
5. Missha First Treatment Night Repair Ampoule
6. Caudalie Resveratrol Lift Eye Lifting Balm
7. Dr. Jart Ceramidin Liquid
8. Corsx Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence
9. Dr. Jart Ceramidin Cream
10. boscia Tsubaki Deep Hydration Sleeping Mask

Good morning good people of BT!

Some background about my skin the past few days:   

Spoiler
It has been a rough January.  I have been sick, have been in a plane every 3 days, dehydrated, eating poorly, sleep deprived, and under intense pressure.  I have looked fatigued and skin has been splotchy.

I flew home late last evening and am on a plane already this morning.  But this madness should end soon.  I look forward to a quieter January.....starting next week.

41yrs, alive, edge of sanity.

1/12/17 - PM skincare.  Post flight.  

1. Tata Harper Nourishing Cleaning oil

2. May Lindstrom Problem Solver mask (left on 45 minutes).  Rinse off.

3. Dr. Jart Micro peel milk (very gentle and hydrating).

4. Caudalie Grape water

5. Aurelia Revitalize and Glow serum - I have only used a few times, so no long term opinion yet.

6. DDG Ferulic + Retinol eye cream

7. Aurelia Cell Repair Night oil - my life saver

1/13/17 - AM skincare.  Pre-flight.  My focus was on sensitivity and hydration.

1. Cleanse - REN Evercalm Cleansing milk (this is just so good.  When my skin feels sensitive, this cleanser just nourishes and calms).

2. Indie Lee CoQ toner - A new product to me and only a couple of uses in.  It feels very refreshing and a bit hydrating/soothing.  I can't give a proper opinion, but first impressions are positive.

3. Hylamide CoQ serum - for a bit of hydratuon boost

4. Farmacy Eye Dew

5. Oskia Nutri-Active Day cream

Even a few hours in our own bed does wonders.  I feel a bit more like myself this morning.  

1 Reply
testing