Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Daily Skincare - what are you using?

Often people ask for recommendations on a skincare routine or for specific products/combinations.  This might be a place to share your everyday skincare, both AM and PM.  A skincare "what are you wearing" as it were.  Hope this is useful.

*Age - 40

Skin type - oily/combination

Current skin condition - quite dehydrated (winter/indoor heating)*

01/17/16 - AM skincare in the order I used

1. Nude Jelly cleanser (love)

2. Pixi Glow tonic (5% glycolic toner - love)

3. Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Spritz (sample)

4. Radical Skincare Youth Infusion serum - hydrating and anti-ageing (new to me.  Testing)

5. Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream (like)

6. Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine cream (really like as an AM moisturizer)

I will try to post PM skincare tonight so the post can be comprehensive.

General comments - Okay skin.  Apparently the age between 38-42 is a transformational time in hormones (dehydrated skin/spots), so I am more aware of how my skin performs/reacts .  My skincare definitely has more "actives" now than before.

Re: Daily Skincare - what are you using?

AM:

splash of water

Sunday riley good genes

Supergoop serum

orgins plantscription eye cream

Dr brandt 3D filler mask

Dr. Jart tiger grass cream

PM:

Alternating cleansers/exfoliators (sunday riley blue moon, korres greek yogurt foaming, ole henriksen red tea foaming, ole henriksen walnut scrub)

clarisonic 1-2x a week

Sunday riley luna

PTR unwrinkle turbo serum

Farmacy sleep tight 

28 and DRY! Thats all at home. I bring DS to work to try things out so I have variation a couple days a week.

Dr. Jart tiger grass is new and was a good winter addition for me, we've already had a change in weather. Good genes is also new and huge improvements in acne scarring and dullness.

Anonymous Insider

AM

Ren evercalm cream cleanser

fab radiance pad

farmacy hydrating dew mist

chanel hydrating toner

timeless vitamin c serum

Herbivore orchid oil

farmacy eye cream

Skin feels great and looking forward to an extensive at home facial tomorrow which will be much needed after Halloween festivities tonight. 

Hope you had fun at your Halloween gathering @dalidyli. Can I ask what you went as?

Anonymous Insider

Me and a couple girlfriends went as the nuns from Sister Act. It was hilarious and everyone knew exactly what movie we were dressing as.

@NancieNano

Any and ALL advice welcome! 🙂

Skin Type: Oily, Acne Prone

AM:

Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Face Cleanser

Mario Badescu Oil free moisturizer SPF 17

PM

Philosophy eye make up remover

Clinique Balm makeup remover

Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Face Cleanser

Paula's Choice 2% BHA Skin Perfecting Liquid

Paula's Choice 8% AHA Skin Perfecting Gel

I use my clarisonic a couple of times a week and the origins oil control mask. I do feel that my acne is pretty well controlled with the two Paula's Choice products compared to how my skin used to be.  I am still battling oil throughout the day.  I was thinking of adding the Sunday Riley UFO.... I know my routine could probably use a overhaul! If anyone has advice or comments I would greatly appreciate them! Thanks!

Anonymous Insider

Hi! @RC1989

Wanted to say I agree a million percent with @greenchilli

I use the Ren evercalm cream cleanser and it's soothing, cleansing, and hydrating. It's my favorite winter cleanser after I use a balm to take my makeup off.

Repeating what was said about products targeted to acne prone skin can be very harsh and stripping. And using too may harsh products can backfire in general. Maybe try separating the Paula's choice products and spacing them out how you use them if you like them and want to keep them in your routine.  

Instead of the clarisonic I suggest chemical exfoliating either by toning daily or a mask weekly and stay away from "oil free" marketing. Adding a facial oil will only benefit you with nourishment, protection, and hydration. 

@Anonymous Thank you so much for the reply.  I'm definitely going to purchase the Ren cleanser it sounds great! 🙂 And also make some additional changes.  Is there a certain facial oil that you would recommend? And also where you would incorporate it into your routine?  Thanks again!

Ren Evercalm cream cleanser is one of my favourite AM cleansers too!

RC1989,

Unfortunately, products targeted to acneaic skin are often too harsh, and make the condition worse.  You are using some decent products, but others that are undoing any good.

Oil is not the enemy of oily skin.  You want to manage excess oil, but not strip your face of it.  Oil on the face protects the face.  You are using so many products that are striping your skin of oil and upsetting the acid mantle that it is keeping it sensitive.

1.  I wouldn't use the Neutrogena Purifying Cleanser anymore.  It has SLS which strips the skin and makes it vulnerable to acne/lesions.  Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Hydrating cleanser is a better option if you want to stay with the brand.  Ren Evercalm clay cleanser, Pixi Clay mud cleanser...these are options as well for a mini clay treatment.  You could rotate with the Neutrogena Hydrating.

2.  I am not a fan of oil free moisturizers, especially as it is getting colder.  Even in acnaic skin, depriving it of hydration will make it oilier and more sensitive.  Ren has some good moisturizers (Vita line), you could look at that line.

3.  I would ditch the Origins oil control mask as well.  If you get oily, blot.  

4.  Keep your skin hydrated.  

As a rule, I would avoid all products targeted towards acnaic skin.  I know it sounds silly, but I would.  Make sure the products you select don't have SLS, mineral oil,  and are not alcohol heavy.

@greenchilli Thank you so much for the response.  I can definitely see where I am stripping my skin with harsh products. I am going to take your advice and get the Ren cleanser and also I will look into a Ren moisturizer.  I am thinking of possibly the Vita Mineral Daily supplement.  Luckily I am pretty well out of my current cleanser and moisturizer so it's a good time to try. 🙂  Do you have any recommendations for facial oils, just trying to get some ideas and now I think the UFO oil might be to strong.  Thanks again!!    

@RC1989  I would recommend the Ren Evercalm Cream cleanser for regular use (great for sensitive skin).  The Ren clay cleanser can be used every so often when your skin needs a nudge.  

@greenchilli Would that be the Ren Evercalm Gentle Cleansing Milk?

@RC1989

Yes!  The cleansing milk.

@RC1989

Use a facial oil only if it suits you, otherwise a cream moisturizer will do just fine.  I am only cautioning you because for the longest time I found most oils unsuitable for my skin.  I almost couldn't be bothered testing one more oil, until I found some that I loved.  

So it is very personal - an oil that suits one person may have an irritant that bothers another. Don't worry if you don't like an oil.

All that being said, Ren Vita Mineral Optimum Omega oil (check the correct name) is quite nice...as an example.  It nourishes the skin and keeps that healthy radiance.  I layer it with a moisturizer, but you can calibrate its as you feel best.  

Hi @greenchilli! I know we are supposed to put products on our face from thinnest to thickest. I have tried using a face cream then an oil in the evening and it doesn't seem to be absorbing. Should I rotate between the cream and oil, put the oil on first then the cream, or mix some oil into the cream? Right now I am using L'Occitane Divine Youth Oil, Ole Henrickson Sheer Transformation, and Laneige Water Sleeping Mask twice a week.  I'm glad to see you posting again:)  Also, anyone else with suggestions, please feel free to chime in. Thank you 🙂

Edit: I also use an Essence (right now Bentons Fermentation essence ), PTR Retinol Fusion PM, and an eye cream (Caudalie Premier Cru)  before my moisturizer and/or oil.  

Hi there @NancieNano

When I layer an oil and a cream, I typically apply oil first and top it off with a cream.  I know conventional wisdom would suggest otherwise, but it works better for me this way. 

I do this all Fall and winter as my skin gets incredibly dehydrated.  Largely my doing.  I run a space heater in my office all the time, so my skin gets parched.  At night a layer of oil and cream keep it more human and less Anaconda.

LOL. I've missed your humor! Thank you. I am going to try putting them on in that order. Like you said, it goes against conventional wisdom, but conventional doesn't work for everyone. Thanks!

Anonymous Insider

I always oil before moisturizer. Like my moisturizer is sealing the oil in if that makes sense. @NancieNano

Hi GC!! 

@RC1989 - GC has some great advice, I also like an oil for winter moisture addition (even though it seems like the opposite of what you should do). That was probably one of the biggest things I have added to my skincare routine that has helped immensely. That, and switching from an oil control cleanser. 

@Zpsid91 I have to say I have been terrified to put oil onto my face so I have avoided it in the past.  Any in particular you would recommend?  Thanks so much for the reply! 🙂 

@RC1989Unfortunately my favorite is the NUDE rescue oil - I think there are some on the sale page currently but it's not that easy to come by anymore.

I also love love love Odacite's Bl+C serum/oil. It's less straight oil and almost a combo serum/oil - still only need a few drops and I usually mix with either a moisturizer or retinol so I get even coverage. If I have a bad spot pop up I'll also put a little dab straight on top.

1 Reply
testing