Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Daily Skincare - what are you using?

Often people ask for recommendations on a skincare routine or for specific products/combinations.  This might be a place to share your everyday skincare, both AM and PM.  A skincare "what are you wearing" as it were.  Hope this is useful.

*Age - 40

Skin type - oily/combination

Current skin condition - quite dehydrated (winter/indoor heating)*

01/17/16 - AM skincare in the order I used

1. Nude Jelly cleanser (love)

2. Pixi Glow tonic (5% glycolic toner - love)

3. Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Spritz (sample)

4. Radical Skincare Youth Infusion serum - hydrating and anti-ageing (new to me.  Testing)

5. Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream (like)

6. Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine cream (really like as an AM moisturizer)

I will try to post PM skincare tonight so the post can be comprehensive.

General comments - Okay skin.  Apparently the age between 38-42 is a transformational time in hormones (dehydrated skin/spots), so I am more aware of how my skin performs/reacts .  My skincare definitely has more "actives" now than before.

Re: Daily Skincare - what are you using?

Skin Type: combo, normal/oily with the ocassional breakout due to food.

I have transitioned to some new products and my skin reacted nicely to the change since I still use some old favorites. 

Morning:

Nude perfect cleanse omega jelly cleanser

Nude fizzy powder

Shiseido Lash and Brow serum

Herbivore Rose Mist

Ole Henriksen Collagen C Booster

Shiseido eye sunscreen

Herbivore Lapis Azul oil

Supergoop sunscreen (getting my new sunscreen next week I think, I'm out of this one!)

SKIN TYPE: combo (normal / oily) prone to dehydration and congested pores that *can* turn into an angry pimple here and there.

2/10/16 p.m.

SKIN CONDITION: currently, hormonal. texture on chin a bit bumpy, one deep spot under lip that i can't see but can feel (hurts, pressure). this is what i did last night and it helped tremendously. 

• CLINIQUE take the day off balm
  • PIXI glow mud cleanser
  • PIXI glow tonic
  • PIXI glow mud mask (15 minitues-ish)
  • MURAD essential c toner (spritzed onto pad then applied)
  • HYLAMIDE low molecular hyaluronic acid booster serum
  • CLARINS lotus oil. looooads of it (a full dropper) massaged into face, focusing on chin.
  • AVEDA botanical kinetics hydrating lotion

2/11/16 a.m.

• NUDE fizzy detox wash. i don't use scrubs often (i hate most of them and what they do), but this one is great. non abrasive, does the job. i only use it once or twice a month.
  • MURAD essential c toner
  • HYLAMIDE low molecular hyaluronic acid booster serum
  • CLARINS lotus oil (just one tiny drop this time)
  • AVEDA botanical kinetics hydrating lotion.

skin really responded well. the under the skin spot no longer hurts, is slightly raised by not red. texture is much better, skin feels hydrated. 

Have you tried leaving the Mud cleanser on dry as a quick mask? That really helped with bringing down my acne. I am now itching to try the mud mask and glow serum, Pixi's glow skincare line is amazing!

Hey Jemly and Mk89, could you please tell me more about the pixie skincare line?  My skin is dehydrated and acne-prone/hormonal acne.  I use a rx retinoid.  What has your experience been with it?  Thanks!

jemly did a great job of explaining everything- but I just want to my own experience with the mud cleanser and glow tonic. My skin is acne-prone as well, combo leaning oily, and gets dehydrated easily if I'm not careful. I've found the the mud cleanser has really helped my moisturizers and acne-treatments absorb and work better, and it doesn't dry me out. My skin overall has a better texture and looks clearer!

sure ! so they just released all these new products, and i think they're fantastic. (fairly certain caroline hirons was consulted in their development, which is why i HAD TO TRY IT). i actually haven't tried that many products from the range, but knowing your skin type as well as reading above what your routine is, i think i can give some tips and suggestions of a few things to check out !

i think you're using a lot of great products, already (nude omega jelly is my favorite cleanser !). but you don't have any sort of exfoliant, and more specifically, chemical exfoliant. regular use of glycolic acid (AHA) has been KEY in keeping acne prone skin in check, and not only in check, but fresh and glowy too ! the PIXI glow mud cleanser is just as it sounds--it's like a very thin clay mask, but as a cleanser. this is great for cleansing (and is not drying like clays can be, by the way, because of high doses of aloe vera juice and glycerin) but what makes this cleanser particularly brilliant is it has 5% glycolic acid. i've been using this as a cleanser in the morning. i typically let it sit for a minute or two before i take it off with a wash cloth, then i go in with a hydrating toner and the rest of my routine. this instantly shot up to my very favorite of cleansers ! 

the other product i'd recommend for you, because of the reasons stated above, is the pixi glow tonic. this is another glycolic product, but it's gentle enough that you can use it daily. i use it at night, after cleansing with my nude omega jelly. follow it up with a spritz (i typically use rose water, but check out the new milky spritz thing by pixi if you want ! good for your skin type and great for hydrating dehydrated skin.)

the benefit of adding the AHAs to your routine isn't just for the acne fighting benefits, though ! as it's an exfoliant, it will help your serums etc absorb better, and should help with the dehydration.

so, i say start with these few products (the cleanser, the glow tonic and maybe the milky spritz) and see how it works for you. then you can start adding things like the lovely rose hip oil, or the moisturizers.

i also love the glow mud mask, but i'm just focusing on daily routine things, ya know ? but i also highly recommend that !

Hi girls!  Thank you so much for your input.  I used to use FAB radiance pads daily.  Now I am using a RX retinoid and my skin doesn't feel great if I exfoliate too much.  I actually do have the glow tonic, but since using the retinoid, on days I use the glow tonic, my foundation doesnt last well on my face. It breaks down and gets patchy.  So I don't do a morning acid tone anymore.  And I stopped doing it at night because I worry it'll be too much with the rx retinoid.   Technically the retinoid is also exfoliating.  The derm recommended exfoliating only once a week.  I use PTR pumpkin enzyme mask maybe every other week, because it is too strong to use weekly now, or I use a lighter exfoliating cleanser like Murad aha bha or Tata Harper regenerating cleanser so I don't overexfoliate.    I am however, very intrigued by the mud cleanser.  Is it hydrating at all?  I will try it, that type of product has worked for me in the past.  Have you tried the moisturizers?  Which one did you like or do you think might work for me?  I am in the market for a new moisturizer and was just going to repurchase Belif moisturizing bomb because I looovvvee it.  I am skeptical about using a drugstore brand, but now that you say Caroline Hirons must have been consulted in it's development, I think I'll take a chance 😉  Thanks again 🙂

That fizzy detox wash is great! It feels super clean without the harshness of a grainy scrub!

Anonymous Insider

Love this thread. I am a bit of a skincare junkie (more so  than makeup) and have had fun reading through everyone's routines!

I am 32 with combo/oily skin.

2/10/16 (AM)

1. Sunday Riley Ceramic Slip Cleaner
  2. Zelens PHA+ Bio-Peel Resurfacing Facial Pads
  3. Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum
  4. Zelens Triple Action Advanced Eye Cream
  5. Sisley Emulsion Ecologique mixed with
  6. Odacite Green Tea + Lemongrass serum

Anonymous Insider

@ccc52795 how is the drunk elephant serum? i've been wanting to try their products.

Yesterday/last night were a bit different than normal

I had a dermaplane in the afternoon, which supposedly helps product absorb better (Plus it gets rid of all those little annoying hairs), so after my MB silver stuff, and that my skin was incredibly smooth.

After the dermaplane my esthetician applied Skinmedica's new hyaluronic acid (HA-5), and sunscreen...my skin apparently loves both

PM routine:

Double cleanse with oil

Tone (MB Rosewater)

Essence (boscia DS of something or other)

Retinol (PTR PM Fusion)

Lytera (skin brightener)

Hydraluron

No moisturizer

My skin is incredibly soft and smooth this morning...love it! I don't usually use a retinol and lytera, but I may do this more often.

Dermaplane is awesome! 😃

I've been looking into the new HA-5. Maybe after I finish my Neocutis. 😃

I really liked it, but have another HA product I also love…but maybe I'll just put two in my rotation 😉

I am 22, combo/dry skin.

AM:

Garnier Micellar Water

Herbivore Rose Hibiscus Coconut Water Face Mist

Tony Moly Sheet Mask

Sunday Riley Good Genes

Belief Aqua Bomb

PM: (no make up day today)

Peter Thomas Roth anti-aging cleansing gel

Chantecaille Rose Water

Sunday Riley Luna Oil

Sunday Riley Good Genes

Kiehl's Midnight Eye Concentrate

Belief Aqua Bomb 

I want to add the SKII Treatment Essence, but I am not sure where, and not sure if it will be way too much for my skin...

Spa night tonight - trying out the SK-II mask from the Nordstrom GWP.

FAB cleanser (starting from no makeup, so single cleanse)

Tatcha Soothing Rice Enzyme Powder

Mario Badescu Glycolic Toner

SK-II mask, 30-40 mins

rub the rest of the serum all over my face/neck/chest/hands/elbows/etc.

Glamglow Thirstymud Hydrating Treatment

Shiseido Ultimate Power Infusing Eye Concentrate

Fresh Black Tea Age-Delay Eye Concentrate

You guys... I LOVE the SK-II mask. Which is very sad, as I don't ever want to pay $17 for one sheet mask. We'll see how I feel in the morning.

Also, pro-tip - the serum is super hydrating and worked really well on my hands, but it's not the greatest idea to put it on skin that hasn't been freshly cleansed. I wasn't gross or anything, but I hadn't showered since this morning, and it balled up and peeled really badly on my chest and elbows. Still hydrating! But not the most luxurious feeling.

Anonymous Insider

I've been holding onto a SK-II mask for awhile...I'm going to have to try it now after your review!

My skin is a bit of a mess right now, congestion, breakouts and I have gone from being oily to combo (tenacious dry flaky patches around my mouth, same oily skin everywhere else). Thanks hormones and drooling while I sleep. 😕

09-Feb-2016 am:

Drunk Elephant Peekee bar

Belief eucalyptus toner

May Coop Raw Sauce

OH Invigorating night treatment as spot treatment

OH Truth serum

Ahava Dead Sea Eye Serum

Belief aqua bomb

Origins ginzing eye cream

(my primer has SPF, and I don't tend to see the sun until I leave the office. However, I have a couple of SPF moisturizer samples to try once my skin is back under control)

PM:

Clinique lips, lids and lashes remover on eyes

Farmacy oil cleanser

Drunk Elephant Peekee bar

Herbivore coco rose spray

PTR cucumber gel mask

Herbivore coco rose spray

May Coop Raw Sauce

OH Invigorating Night Treatment

Ahava Dead Sea Eye Serum

Herbivore Lapis Oil

Ahava Firming Eye Cream

Belief aqua bomb on dry patches (if I do this before the lapis oil it pills up)

I'm a teenager, with really confusing skin (I'm dry, but then I'm not, with super flakey skin, with awful texture and occasional whiteheads).  Currently I am in cold, dry winter, with a skiing trip ahead so lots of dehydration in store 😞

PM: 

1. Boscia Konjac Cleansing Sponge with Bamboo Charcoal (adore, my 3rd time using a sponge like this)

2. either Philosophy Purity Made Simple or a Clinique one I can't remember the name of (it's part of a 3-step routine and comes in a green bottle)

3. Laura Mercier Flawless Flawless Skin Face Polish (not every day, only a few times a week)

4. Simple Cleansing Micellar Water (loving, new) 

5. Belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb (occasionally I substitute this for Benefit's moisturizer or coconut oil) (love love love)

If anybody can suggest something within a reasonable price range that could fix my flaking issues, I would probably give them my soul. 

makeuphappiness,

How old are you?  Some suggestions I might add:

- I would strongly discourage the Clinique cleanser (I am not a fan of the Clinique 3-step at all.  It is a poorly put togetehr system).  Cleansers I would recommend instead are - Pixi Mud Cleaser (from Target) or Ren Clay Cleanser.  They can address the ocassional whiteheads/blackheads too.

- I am not a fan of the LM Flawless Face Polish (I have tested it).  Instead, might I suggest the FAB Radiance pads for flaking skin.  Use it once a week.   They are gentle and good for sensitive skin. 

- Why are you using the Miscellar water after using a cleanser and an exfoliator?  I would use a Miscellar water to remove makeup only (first step).  And then follow it up with a gentle cleanser to actually clean skin. 

- And definitely moisturize well and drink plenty of water.

Here is the routine in the order of usage I would recommend:

1. Miscellar water to remove makeup only

2. Cleanse skin with gentle cleanser

3. Use FAB pads once a week

4. Moisturize well, really well. 

5. Make sure to wear SPF when skiing, especially if fair skinned. 

21, acne-prone and dry! 

PM

Drunk Elephant Pekee Bar

Benzaclin Topical (soo drying, but I'm giving it a shot)

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizer + 

Fresh Seaberry Oil 

AM

Saje Konjac Sponge with water (such a nice, gentle wakeup)

Benzaclin 

Fresh Lotus Youth Preserve (this is working super well to keep the dryness at bay!)

I like these products but am waiting for my shipment from Yüli to come in and I want to try out a new essence as mine had alcohol in it unfortunately (May Coop Raw Sauce)

Anonymous Insider

• Face wash from Organics
  • Day Creme from Vichy
  • Eye Creme from Vichy
  • RoseWater from a local brand here
  • Once a week I use detoxifying mask for my face, my pores are so visibly, after using this mask you cant even see my pores anymore its amazing www.oil-republic.com
  • 100% Pure Certified Argan Oil twice a day from Oil Republic www.oil-republic.com

Thats all

testing