jennypenny1995

Clinique's 3-Step System: Good, Bad, or Ugly?

(0) Hearts

Through the years, I've gone on & off Clinique's 3-Step skin care.  While I love the price point, I wonder if it truly is beneficial.  I've heard and experienced so much as far as using alcohol-free toners, yet almost all of Clinique's have alcohol in them.  I've heard that oily skinned folks need to stay away from foaming cleansers because they strip the skin and cause the perfect setting for bacteria to grow.  And, of course, oily people are always trying to use only oil-free products.

Tell me, if you have gone back on their 3-Step, if you're currently using it for more than 6 months, or if you left it altogether.  And why, please.

BIG appreciation!

beautylovingirl

Re: Clinique's 3-Step System: Good, Bad, or Ugly?

(0) Hearts

@jennypenny- Like I use Vivite Skin care now and it's so much better than anything I've used before as far as medical grade products. Like I said it has been alooooong time since I used Clinique and it was short lived for me I had an oil slick face and that always seemed to make it worse and did cause my skin to itch and dry out something awful and I adjusted step after step and had no luck at all. I'm not saying it won't work for other people but it definitely made a mess of my skin.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Used and never liked but that was a pretty good while back and I found alot of things that were so much better.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

...like...?  Do tell!

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

My mom swears by the 3 step. Her skin is good though, she wears SPF & never really broke out, had issues with sensitivity or large pores. I tried it when I was in HS or college & hated it. The soap left me feeling tight, the toner is way too intense, the lotion too greasy... 

I now look for toners that are alcohol-free. Think about we use toner to clean off anything our cleanser missed & to help treatment products absorb better. Why would we put alcohol on our skin? 

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Valid point.  I just learned they DO, in fact, have an alcohol-free version--the Mild toner.  Then, even though I have oily spots, they have a soap-free cleanser in a creamy formula.  Considering those as my options...

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

What about the Renee skin care products you were using? 

jennypenny1995

I love them, but they're a bit pricey per ounce.  They're cheaper than Murad, but still.  Just trying to think through if I REALLY want to go down to Clinique or even any other brand now that my skin is doing so much better.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

If it's better then why change? If you are really short on $$$, then maybe try switching one or two product that doesn't make much difference down to Clinique, like the cleanser or scrub, since it is most likely the serum/moisturizer that made the most difference on your skin. Actually from briefly browsing their website, the brand seems similar to some of the organic drugstore brand (Alba Botanica or Boots Botanics) or Mario Badescu. If you are interested, you can look through the ingredients/descriptions to see if they are similar. That might be another alternative you can consider in addition to Clinique.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

That's actually what I'm doing: Considering a mix of the less harsh and less expensive with the power hitters of another brand like RR.  My husband is in grad school for his MBA, so I guilt myself a bit when buying a $35 1.7 oz moisturizer.  Decisions!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Interesting!  Seeing some repeated points here...

quenbee

(0) Hearts

I used their products in my early to mid 20's.  It was the affordable line of cosmetics in the dept store and a step up from drugstore.  Although drugstore brands have really come a long way!  I too used the 3 step system and used toner 2. The cleanser was a bit drying, and the toner made it worse.  My skin did not like the dramatically different moisturizer, it caused a lot of breakouts.  Threre was one product from them that I did love and it was the redness solution lotion(which sadly was discontinued) now they only have the cream which IMO does not work as well.  I did see powders too, but can't comment since I haven't used.

Clinique was a good intro to cosmetics and skincare, but I quickly moved on to the Lancôme, Origins and Sheisedo counters.

drrragon

I remember this being one of the very first dept store skincare I EVER bought, sometime in my early 20s.  Back then I didn't have anything like a routine and was totally clueless about skincare, and even did not wash my face regularly every night!

So I will say this in favor of Clinique's _marketing_ of their 3-step system:  for someone totally clueless like myself, using their "3-step" system taught me how to take care of my skin, by creating a good routine and sticking to it regularly.

For the products themselves, they are a good, basic routine, but do not address many actual skin problems like acne, hyperpigmentation, antiaging, etc.  It just cleanses and moisturizes without doing anything extra.

carlyanne

(0) Hearts

I used the acne solutions through two of the smaller size sets and LOVED it at first--I really thought it was a miracle product of some sort! Sadly after a few weeks my skin went back to "normal" with the same types of breakouts just as often so I think the positive changes in my skin had more to do with my diet and stress levels. 

starletta8

(0) Hearts

I tried to use this a number of times in my life- when I first was allowed to wear "real" makeup at 13, when I first went to college, when I lived in London (I was blaming my travel for my skin!  Silly me, I quickly discovered Boots instead. Sigh... Boots), when I first went to grad school.....

Key word is tried.  I only ever finished one toner, and would get bored of the rest.  It's better than nothing, and great for the price point.  But the fact that I kept trying again and again and quitting says a lot.

That said, in a pinch I'll gladly bring the single use bubbles of the 3-step I found once on an overnight.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Valid points b/c I've done the same!  College, early 20s, now 30s.  Hmmmmm...

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Knowing my skin now, I'd never use it again regularly- and would only use the most sensitive formula in a pinch (everything dries me out except my beloved Shiseido, which moisturizes even in the cleanser).

Still, better than nothing and I've been known to reach for it when traveling on a quick overnight for work that involves flying since I have a few of the travel bubbles that conform to 3-1-1, etc, and are disposable.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Yes!  They do make great FAA samplers, don't they!?

MoreGun89

(0) Hearts

I tried it when I was a kid and still had major acne problems, caused me to break out even worse :smileysad:

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Uh oh!!

carrierose

I used their acne system for a few weeks....I just couldn't take the peeling and redness that it caused.  The moisturizer was not a moisturizer, and it was so strong with acne-fighters that it made my skin a wreck.  This was in 2010.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 5 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • cherrybombtastic
    • carrierose
    • carlyanne
    • drrragon
    • jennypenny1995