jennypenny1995

Clinique's 3-Step System: Good, Bad, or Ugly?

(0) Hearts

Through the years, I've gone on & off Clinique's 3-Step skin care.  While I love the price point, I wonder if it truly is beneficial.  I've heard and experienced so much as far as using alcohol-free toners, yet almost all of Clinique's have alcohol in them.  I've heard that oily skinned folks need to stay away from foaming cleansers because they strip the skin and cause the perfect setting for bacteria to grow.  And, of course, oily people are always trying to use only oil-free products.

Tell me, if you have gone back on their 3-Step, if you're currently using it for more than 6 months, or if you left it altogether.  And why, please.

BIG appreciation!

jennypenny1995

Re: Clinique's 3-Step System: Good, Bad, or Ugly?

Yeah, that would be too potent for me.  I'm less blemish-prone now that I've stopped picking (see my "5 Things" post), so I just need a tad of salicylic acid and regular glycolic acid to keep the oil at bay. Thx for your post!

cherrybombtastic

(0) Hearts

I was using this set back when I was a sophomore in college. I had oily skin (so I thought), and I started using it because my friend was using it and she had acne and it went away. Since I had acne, I decided to try it thinking less oil would mean less acne. I was also in New York at the time during the summer, so it was pretty humid. My skin didn't get better and I eventually ditched it for the Murad kit. I even remember ditching the Clinique set in my dorm room before packing my suitcase because I didn't have room. I never looked back on using Clinique again. At the time, I knew nothing about ingredients, so I didn't even know about the alcohol and the mineral oil in the products.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Yes, have been wondering if my lack of ingredient awareness has caused so many probs in the past. Alcohol, mineral oil!

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

I use the liquid soap for oily skin, toner 2, and changes my moisturizer too often.

Cleanser: I don't think it cleans off make up very well, but it's pretty good as an after makeup remover step. It's got nice ingredients and is non-drying, but pretty basic. I much prefer Boscia purifying or Clarins Gentle foamy ones. But I'd buy it again if I need something basic.

Toner 2: it's refreshing in the summer for my combo skin, but it is drying in the winter and the alcohol may not be good for some skin or after a treatment. Toner 3 stings and makes me flaky. Other toners are either hydrating ones or don't do anything. I think Boscia balancing toner or Origins United States might be comparable but I haven't tried those yet.

Moisturizer: the lotion have mineral oil, a no for me. The gel is great for summer but not enough otherwise. It's also very basic and I prefer my moisturizer to do more.

That's all the thoughts I have. I prob will continue to buy the toner for the summer, and maybe the cleanser or scrub if I want something cheap&basic otherwise meh.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Tons of good info!  Where, oh, where did you get ingredient listings?  I've been looking everywhere!

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

lol, from the bottle that I brought. Sometimes ppl ask about it in the Q&A section of the product and other ppl lists the full ingredients.

The cleanser's got nice ingredients. I like the fact the toner only have ~10 ingredients, tho if you don't like/want alcohol, mint or witch hazel, it may not be for you. The lotion is meh, the gel is a nice basic if you have a treatment product and don't want to over treat your skin with special moisturizers.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 5 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • cherrybombtastic
    • carrierose
    • carlyanne
    • drrragon
    • jennypenny1995