Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Can face masks expire?

is it possible for a face mask to expire? One of the reasons why I began to take care of my skin was because I tried a Fresh rose face mask sample I got a while ago. I could say it was about half a year to a year when I finally used it. I noticed upon applying it that my face burned but since I'm not very familiar with masks, I thought it was normal. Then after a few minutes it went away and once I washed it off, my face felt smooth. I didn't put anything else on my skin other than a body lotion I've had that I used to use on my face. Later on that night is when I started feeling a weird tingly sensation on my cheeks. It almost was lightly burning and looked red. Then, when I woke up that morning my cheeks were red, felt rough, dry and were flaky! I was so sad to have had that happen! It was the first time I've had problems with my face so I immediately bought a face oil and moisturizers, since I assumed my face needed a lot to recover.

Now that I passed that, I received another sample of the same face mask and I really want to find out what happened to make my face react that way. I kind of want to give it another chance and try the mask again and find out if it really was that the mask was expired or if it was that particular mask. I also wonder if it was because I was sampling a Clinique spf city block cream that dried out my face. I also thought it might have happened  because I tried the simple micellar water that same day I used the mask, but since then, I tried the micellar water and it hasn't  affected my skin now, so luckily it wasn't that! Anyway, sorry this is such a long a long post but I wanted to give details to figure out what could have been the cause.

Re: Can face masks expire?

The shelf life of the face mask depends how you store it, it also depends on the ingredients and you should also check the expiration date on the packaging, it is said that mask contains a wide range of ingredients and they lose their potency after you start using these.

Any skincare product will expire, but if the mask was unopened, then the shelf life is usually much longer--more than a year.  

The red, burning/tingling that your skin experienced was a sign of irritation or sensitivity to an ingredient(s) in the product. I had the same reaction too when I tried it since my skin can't tolerate essential oils and fragrance. 

Anonymous Insider

hi im alexa and i think my face mask did expire

so

thank you 

so

so

so

so

much

Anonymous Insider

face masks do expire but i put mine in the frezzer and it makes it last for over two years so i would try that.

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing