Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Burning Question...

Are you NOT supposed to put eye cream on your eye lids? This is the second time in a month that my eye lids are burning, itching, swollen, red and peeling. I have read different things online so I'm just curious to others experiences. Also, my mom is telling me it's because I use Korean skin care products and that I don't know what is in them and that Korean beauty products are not well regulated and can have anything in them. Is this true? I don't want to be putting rat poop on my face! Thanks!

Re: Burning Question...

If you have dry eyelids and you want to be able to apply cream directly on them, look for an eye cream that is advertised as a 360 degree cream, such as the FAB Triple Remedy Overnight Eye Balm. 

I just started using this brand. I discovered the coconut smoothie lotion primer. Will check out the eye cream!

Most eye creams are meant to treat the undereye area and actually not eyelid safe! Especially the ones that depuffs and brightens because they contain ingredients to exfoliate and tighten the skin and your eyelid is too thin/sensitive/don't need that. I get dry patches above my eyelashes so eye products I use must be eyelid safe. My favorite all around eye cream are Clarins Super Restorative Eye Concentrate, Fresh Rose eye cream, AmorePacific MoistureBound eye cream and facial oils such as Boscia Tsubaki or Tarte Maracuja (or any pure oil like avocado, argan, grapeseed etc).

Do you use an eyeshadow primer?  I am allergic to several of them and went through this about a year ago. I'm especially allergic to the urban decay primer potions. I have no other allergies.  Just eyeshadow primers...  hope this helps.

Yes! You know what sucks? I used the anti aging primer potion for years. It was my favorite. Then out of no where I became allergic to it. I even tried the other primer potions and they dry up my eyelids something bad. Bummer!

Interesting!  I'm also dealing with the same issue as OP.  I got the UD primer potion as a sample and really liked how well it kept my shadow on point all day. But im also experiencing sensitivity and not sure if its the UD product or the fact that I was using some crappy walmart brand cotton rounds that I didn't realize were exfoliating kind (I got in the walmart beauty box) to remove my eye makeup.  So right now I'm trying to heal my skin and have been forgoing the primer and shadows until the skin heals. I was also wondering about application of eye creams.  The algenist eye balm from last years play box has helped, but I think it still contributes to the redness and sensitivity I'm still experiencing. 

I'm guessing it's the primer potion. What the heck are they putting in that!

I think, don't quote me, the ingredient is bismuth.  But I'm not 100%

There is a specific ingredient in some eyeshadow primers that irritates skin.  I think the name might have been something like bismuth? 

To to treat my eyelid allergy I applied cortisone cream just to the lid at night for about a week.  The cortisone cream is cheap, it's in the allergy aisle at Walmart.

also be careful of the exfoliating cotton rounds.  That can also irritate sensitive skin.  

I hope that helps a little.  😁

Hi, Misst!

The Algenist Eye Balm happens to be a product that isn't mentioned for direct lid applications (from its product page: With your ring finger, which allows for the least amount of pressure, apply Complete Eye Renewal by patting gently into the skin beginning with the outer contours of the eyes, along crow’s feet and fragile skin under the eye area, working up to the browbone.), so I'm you've adhered to its instructions. 

Even if a product is deemed as "lid-safe", you or anyone else who is utilizing it experiences irritation or sensitivity, it's very possible that formula may not be in agreement with your particular skin or that the formula may be a bit potent. For example, the Dr. Dennis Gross Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Eye Serum is stated for lid use; however, its ingredients may be a bit strong for someone who may not be accustomed to their use. Usage and tolerance to the formula may have to be gradually built up; however, if spanned out usage doesn't result in sensitivities subsiding, then it's very possible the formula itself just isn't something the skin will become acclimated to.

Definitely be careful with the Walmart cotton rounds you purchased. Exfoliating textures around the eye can be very harsh, so perhaps reserve those to remove glitter or tough-to-remove nail polish so your skin isn't getting damaged.

Hi, RMOR86!

It's important to know that not all eye creams/treatments are actually lid safe. In fact, the skin along the eyelids are quite thin and much more delicate compared to the skin along the undereye region, orbital bone, and even upper brow bone. 

The redness, peeling, itching, burning, swelling, and overall discomfort is not supposed to be accepted as the norm for an eye cream that is meant to nourish and care for the skin. Definitely discontinue its use and for now, be careful with cleansing the region (avoid cleansers with harsh ingredients, strong/heavily added fragrances, or other irritants), apply bit of pure aloe vera gel to the region to help ease and calm inflammation as well as moisturize (available at many health food stores or sections in grocery marts), and even use warm compresses to alleviate any pain. You don't want to have the areas of broken skin vulnerable to the elements, but at the same time you want to be sure you're simplifying measures of care as to avoid any potential further damage.

If you have an interest in Korean skin care, I would highly advise doing as much research as you can regarding products you're using or wanting to try. The popularity of many Korean lines here in the US have opened up many sites and resources to provide translations for packaging, ingredient lists, and even usage instructions. Take advantage of the internet and search if a product has a review video or blog post from someone who can provide the information in English to you. Be sure you're also purchasing items from reputable sellers and legitimate sites. There are more and more websites now that retail Korean and Asian specialty brands to the US so it's taken a lot of guess work out of whether or not you may be receiving counterfeit or tampered-with items from someone who may be churning out fake items from their own off-site or someone who may be purchasing one-off items and altering them as they see fit. 

Thank you for all of the useful advice!

@RMOR86 In esthetics school, we were taught to apply under the eye, and go around up to underneath the brow bone, but not on the actual lid.  I have heard of people putting right on their lid but most have oil on their lids, even if they aren't oily, so I find it to be unnecessary and the cream would probably not absorb properly.

I have no idea about that Korean skin care product claim though! 

Thank you for the reply 🙂    Off topic, but I was also considering Esthetics School. Thoughts??

Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 14 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing