Answer
KatrinaR
Benzoyl Peroxide and Retinol

Is it safe to use benzoyl peroxide and retinol together? I heard they can counteract one another. If this is true, would it be ok to use them together if you wait at least a half hour? Which should go on first?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 3
beautylovingirl
Answered

You should absolutely not use benzoyl peroxide and retinol together. These use together are going to make your face peel. If you have acne and have not been prescribed this combination by a doctor, you are taking a very big chance of making your skin skin very irritated and red. Please check with your family doctor for a skin care regimen. Everyone's skin is different and it is not a good idea to mix strong ingredients together.

babybear04
Answered

I agree with lylysa's suggestion of using benzyl in the AM and the retinol in the PM.  I think using both at the same time (even a half an hour apart) is going to be super drying/irritating to your skin.  I'm not sure if they do in fact counteract each other, but I think it's safe to say you shouuld use them separately with one in the AM and one in the PM.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

lylysa
Answered
(0) Hearts

Am I correct in assuming you're using both in treatment for acne? Or are you using the BP for acne and the retinol for anti-aging reasons?

If you use both, try using one during the day (the BP) and the other at night (retinol, as it's more potent and light sensitive so you don't want it exposed to prolonged sun light/exposure).

Question Stats
  • 3 answers
  • 5 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • babybear04
    • beautylovingirl
    • KatrinaR