lilahtov

Are GlamGlow masks worth the type?

Hello ladies and gents.

I googled the very question I posed above and came across an intriguing result. Two of the main ingredients used in many GlamGlow products are kaolin clay and bentonite clay, both of which can be purchased by the pound for around $7. With GlamGlow's heart attack-inducing price tag for a pot your barbie could play with, I'm starting to think that DIYing or finding a lesser-known mud mask brand is the way to go.

I wanted you guys to weigh in because I know that some of you have very strong opinions about the GlamGlow brand. What do you think? 

saturnwings

Re: Are GlamGlow masks worth the type?

In terms of brands I think provide long term benefits and aren't grossly overpriced, I can only think of two that I've consistently used for years.  I apologize in advance for their difficult-to-find nature.

- I know Cailyn still makes their sheet masks - think it's relatively difficult to find in B&M stores, but you can get them online at Cailyn's website.  I tend to prefer the green one but like all of them.  This is the brand I tend to go back to time after time, but I keep straying because I don't like not being able to buy it in stores.

- I love the Sooryeohwan (or Sooryehan or however you want to romanize that) self-heating mask.  Been using this one for years, and while it isn't good during summers when I'm more oily, it's a great fix when I'm feeling tight/dry and dehydrated thanks to winter weather.  I also use it right before using a peeling mask (Seikisho Mask White) since it's a good way to open my pores before hand.  Most of their stuff is too heavy for me since I think most of it is geared toward dry skin (or skin dried out by the environs).

Since my list is so short, I'm always on the look-out for more stuff, but these two products are the ones that have stuck with me through the years.

lilahtov

(0) Hearts

Thank you so much for the detailed response, even though those two are elusive little things! :smileytongue: The self-heating mask sounds especially interesting.

saturnwings

:smileyhappy: Always happy to help.

The self-heating mask is pretty interesting.  The first time I put it on, I freaked out since I didn't expect it to get so warm (verging on hot), but I quickly learned to love it when it left my skin feeling ridiculously soft.  The softness is a temporary effect (about a day or two), but the hydration and moisturization boost that you get stays.  This brand's masks, in general, are all good for that, but I obviously have a preferred product.  (I actually love the heating aspect so much I'm always on the hunt for others that do it - currently trying to find info on a Caolion product that self-heats.)

lilahtov

I know that The Body Shop has a self-heating mask, if you're interested!

saturnwings

(0) Hearts

OH!  Thank you so much!  I'll look into The Body Shop.

KATinCAROLINA

(0) Hearts

I just spotted a new moisturizing formula of GlamGlow. Its in a blue jar.

chupi

I justify the price by saying, "Well I don't spend the money on professional facials anymore!". That's specious reasoning, though. :smileywink:

saturnwings

If you go the DIY route, please keep us updated.  I've used a billion other mud masks and have never had even semi-great results, so I doubt GlamGlow is going to work some miracle with my already rigorous routine.  But hey, I've got a sample in my purse, so I'll give it a try.  If it does somehow work a miracle, I'd love to have a DIY option!

meecheroo

(0) Hearts

I have the GlamGlow Supermud on my Loves list that I want to buy. I didn't care for the Youthmud because it just crusted up inside and didn't seem worth it. I also didn't care for Origin's Charcoal mask either, but I'm looking forward to the Supermud.

lovelykatya

I personally LOVE Glam Glow!!! I have seen really good results with it! And I actually like both masks, so I rotate through them :smileyhappy: every week or so .

But if you are planning to DIY it - I'd love to know your result! :smileywink:

taylorkiryluik

I'm sure it's different for everyone but I'll tell ya a bit about my experience with it! 

a few years ago I started getting seriously clogged/congested pored on my forehead and chin. I bought this out of desperation and within a few weeks I saw quite a breakthrough with my skin.  I also noticed some immediate results, like the glow to my skin, and the pores on my nose diminished greatly.

my skin had remained clear until this fall when i started to get seriously stressed out with university and work and all that jazz. I didn't use the mask, since I was out and didn't even think about it until finals came around. Then I ran straight to the nearest sephora and stocked up. My pores were the largest I had ever seen and after two uses of this mask they went back down to being barely there, and my forehead blemishes decreased tenfold. While I still had a few from the stress, they were almost all gone. 

I can't rave enough about this, bit this is just my own experience with it. Ive read reviews where people have had no changes with it, but for me this was a life saver!

lilahtov

(0) Hearts

I'm glad you had such a positive experience! I just have trouble justifying the price when there seem to be other great options for half.

taylorkiryluik

Ooh I feel ya there girl. I've been kind of frivolous with spending this month. That's why I didn't immediately grab a second jar the first time I ran out. 

I have used up two different Boscia masks and while I like them, they just don't give me the same result as I get with this. 

I would also love to know when/how your DIYs go! I'm not very good with that stuff, though i would like to be, I once tried a hair mask with olive oil and I accidentally grabbed the canola oil instead, and my hair reaked for days after! 

lilahtov

(0) Hearts

Ugh! That must've been awful. I'm sorry! I'm not sure I'll go through with DIYing, at least for a while, but with the good number of people who also said they didn't see results (and because I don't have acne-prone skin, just sensitive and sometimes period-y, haha :smileytongue:) I may not bite the bullet on this one.

I do love making my own hair oil treatments, though. I wrote a lengthy post about them here on BT. Let me know if you're interested, I can try to find the link! :smileyhappy:

taylorkiryluik

(0) Hearts

Which makes complete sense, I dont know that I would have gone back and bought this mask if I didn't have my stress breakouts. But when I do get stress blemishes, this is my bff! Haha 

i tries the hydrating mask they have a few days ago and was surprised at how different the formula was.  I don't know if I can mention any spectacular results yet but my face was quite plump and supple afterwards.  

Oooh i would love that! I have the roughest time with my hair, I'm more of a skincare and makeup gal, so my hair is always that one thing that needs extra help! 

Thanks @lilahtov !

pearlgirl7

For me, GlamGlow's SuperMud Clearing Treatment is very worth it. I am on my second jar. I use it 1-2 times a week (at first I was using it even more). I have not had any cystic acne since the first week or two of using this mask, and it has lessened my blackheads dramatically. 

Have you tried Origins Charcoal Mask? I also like that one, and it is cheaper than GlamGlow. I haven't touched mine since purchasing GlamGlow because GlamGlow has worked wonders for me, but the Origins mask was working pretty good for me too, so if you haven't tried it maybe that is somewhere to start over GlamGlow because of the price point. 

SimoneB5

Personally I'm not gonna go through the hassle do diy.  I rather pay more for convenience. The masks work well for me so therefore I don't mind repurchasing. 

Missie772

I think that the masks do a good job, but I don't think they are $70 good. If they were around the $30-$40 range I might love it more!

I like the Supermud one better than the Tinge/Exfoliating one though. The Supermud leaves my skin super soft and gets rid of a gunk in my pores and my skin didn't get irritated from it (sensitive skin, but not too sensitive). The only drawback for me is how much it costs and the amount that you get for the redic price!

Teresaanne92

Completely agree! Don't know if I will repurchase when I run out because of the price. Love it, and does it's job but it's so expensive and it's incredibly tiny. I mean think of the tiniest jar of skin care product and this is probably tinier! haha

taylorkiryluik

Same! My only complaint is the price

lilahtov

(0) Hearts

That seems to be the general consensus with those who like it :smileyvery-happy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 110 replies
  • 127 hearts
  • 53 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • lovelykatya
    • hydee77
    • chupi
    • anaa
    • pearlgirl7