vivalasydney

Acne Scar treatment effectiveness?

(0) Hearts

I bought the Murad Post-Acne Spot Lightening Gel January of 2013 in hopes it would lighten my scars, and noticed it did little to fade my older scars from that summer of 2012 after about five months of use, but succeed in fading newer scars.
I know the Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum is another lightening product from Murad and I was wondering if anyone had tried this product before and if it lightened all scars: new and old, and how you often you used it and how you applied it.
I greatly appreciate all advice! Thank you :smileyhappy:

mxcx

Re: Acne Scar treatment effectiveness?

(0) Hearts

I agree that glycolic peels and products will help your old skin shed and new skin resurface, but it depends on what kind of scars you have and how deep they are. If you have hyperpigmentation scarring from old acne spots, that would be different than if you have pitted scars from old cystic acne, and so on. It seems that you've been mostly using lightening products, which can be effective in the short run, but I personally find that sometimes the pigmentation comes back, especially during winter months. 

Have you ever considered using natural oils such as rosehip oil to fade your scars? I have really deep, dark blemishes and hyperpigmentation because I suffer from a lot of cystic breakouts, and rosehip oil has surprisingly worked. I know it seems counterintuitive to put oil on your face, but rosehip oil hasn't broken me out and it's worked in just a couple weeks to lighten up some of my old scarring. It's also natural and safe so you can use it over a long period of time (and did I mention super affordable?). But if you want fast results, I second the glycolic peels; expensive and somewhat uncomfortable, but it delivers.

I would try a little bit of rosehip oil on a few areas of your face to make sure there are no adverse effects first. Hope this helped a little. (:

arielaaaaaaaa

I think what you need to get rid of older scars is something alot more powerful. A glycolic peel at a spa will do wonders. While in Cosmetology school i got them every two weeks and my skin really transformed!! My old scars were noticably different after 4 treatments. Also a girl i went to school with got them too cause she had severely acne scarred skin and we saw such a difference in the overall look of her face. I have tried Ole Henrikson's Power Peel and it is along the same lines just not as intense but i really like it. I can't afford to go get the glycolic peels regularly so i use the OH ones. They are good as well and helped lighten my scars as well. 

valentinamia

(0) Hearts

I have not used any of the products that you have listed, but I just wanted to say that the Korres Wild Rose + Vitamin C Brightening Sleeping Facial has done wonders for my skin and it's marks! I felt like they were literally fading away after just a week's use.  I have used it every night for about 2 months or so now and it just gives your skin kind of a glowing effect.  I don't know if you are looking for a spot treatment rather than an all-over treatment, but this stuff really does work and it leaves your skin feeling amazing when you wake up the next morning... Sorry if this does not help, but good luck on your search, anyhow!

Spoiler

voxover

I've been researching the same things and have found that the post-acne scar treatment clinical studies and reports listed on the National Institute of Health website typically mention hydro-quinine as an effective ingredient for lightening. You can buy it in higher concentrations than 2% at many places, but it should be used with care because it can cause havoc if not used properly. Be sure to research it first.

What I've been doing is researching clinical studies and medical overviews that show up when I search "post-acne scar treatment" or related searches on the US government websites like the the National Institute of Health PubMed

I'd recommend you look this up online using a search website and read about the treatment options suggested

"Acne Scars: Pathogenesis, Classification and Treatment"

^There are many clinical studies related to hyperpigmentation scar treatment you can search for on this site if you change the search to PubMed or All Databases, and there are some to look at that have free full-text access and others that have summaries, which say what they did/used, and what the results were. This is a great way to find out what ingredients really work and how to get results.

You can buy materials to make your own various masks, such as a glycolic acid peel, at a decent price many places online. I'd suggest thoroughly researching directions and tutorials and test patching things on skin such as a shoulder acne scar before trying on your face.

drrragon

(0) Hearts

I bought the Rapid Age Spot one and then I noticed that they both have the same main ingredients: 2% hydroquinone and glycolic acid.  Reading further down the ingredients label, there are some differences like the Post-Acne one has tea tree oil and willow bark extract (good for acne) and they both have vitamin c (good for skin brightening) and various other antioxidants.

So no, I wouldn't expect them to act differently regarding new and old scars.  

Something I discovered in January that works great (for me) as a spot treatment to fade scars faster is Peter Thomas Roth 10% Glycolic Moisturizer.  Your Murad product also has some glycolic acid but I'm guessing at a much lower concentration.  Glycolic acid works by increasing skin cell turnover, thus increasing the rate at which scars disappear.  I use it as a spot treatment because it's pretty strong and if you're not used to it can dry out or irritate your skin.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • drrragon
    • vivalasydney
    • valentinamia
    • voxover
    • mxcx