Website suggestions/requests...

ShinyMagpie

Website suggestions/requests...

Since the web monkeys are all up in the place making changes this week how about some new functionality on the retail site instead of wasting time on the forums?

I would LOVE to be able to go to a product page and see a notice across the top like at amazon dot come that says "you purchased this product on January 15th 2014". 

Or how about not deleting product pages or making them disappear when something is out of stock? We can't even read or leave reviews for a product then. It's so random which product pages disappear and which don't. It's beyond annoying. 

How about improving the 'loves list' section so that we can categorize and set priorities or even make notes for ourselves? 

You guys obviously have all this time on your hands (the programmers not the mods) to waste on the forums which according to statistics is only 3% of your website traffic. 

How about doing some real work and making the site work better for purchasers? 

web monkey.jpg

The-Wise-Monkey.jpg

computer_monkey.jpg

article-1206973-06153D1D000005DC-213_468x267.jpg

monkey_computer1.jpg

rdesigns

Re: Website suggestions/requests...

[ Edited ]

I worked in IT for my entire career.  When I worked for a movie studio, the grips used to call us 'puter goons, and we called them a name I will not even mention here because I am sure someone will be offended.  None of us were offended by any of it though, and it was all done in good fun.  We also made a lot of friends outside of our areas of expertise because of the light-hearted teasing.  I can understand when teasing goes too far, but a certain amount of thick-skin is required when you choose to interact with other people.  Otherwise, you (a hypothetical you - not directed at anyone in particular and the fact that I feel like I have to say this is annoying in itself) may as well avoid everyone because I am sure that not everyone shares your every single view on everything in life.  

butterblume

(0) Hearts

I can certainly agree with that. And context certainly plays a big part in how we take what other people say to us.

I always assume "you" and "us" and "we" is always a generalisation unless the person specifically indicates differently. It'd be exhausting else wise.

butterblume

Honestly, the "code monkey" thing was really just an aside - it wasn't the main point I was trying to make at all. I don't mind being called a nerd or geek either. I think context definitely matters, and you're right that I may have been triggered by it/was being oversensitive. But it was 1 comment in the larger point I was making so I'm not sure why it's being taken as the focus. Anyhoo.

The point I was really trying to make was, if I was the IT person, and I walked into a thread and this is what I saw:

"Hey web devs, stop wasting your time working on BT it is pointless since it's only 3 percent of your traffic and anyway the changes suck! How about doing some real work? Here is a list of things I want"

I'd probably be a little bit sad.

That's all.

ShinyMagpie

My husband is a programmer. I used to be one. The name has never bothered us or any of our friends. It's only an insult if you want it to be one. It was just a fun term. I didn't realize some people were so touchy about it. 

Perhaps you could just ignore it if it bothers you. 

They've done nothing to improve BT. Now it's hard to find posts and hard to know what is deemed off topic. Posts show up in multiple places forcing the need to wade through twice as many to read or find things. 

I mean no disrespect either but I'm really growing tired of people on BT that feel the need to scold other people. If you don't like something skip over it. 

"And please don't take my above comments as me trying to be a party pooper or judging in any way, I know nobody here is malicious or mean spirited in any way - we're all just being goofy and having fun - just hoping to offer a different perspective."

So why write three paragraphs about it and make something out of nothing? It was an innocent comment. 

butterblume

Are you really taking issue with the concept of "being nice when asking for something" rather than telling the people you're asking to "do some real work" instead? Doesn't it make more sense to be courteous when you're making a request?

The only point I was trying to make is that it never hurts to show appreciation for the fact that they're trying (even if you don't think it succeeded - personally I don't like the Off Topic changes either, but it's not like they're doing it solely just to annoy you - obviously it's well intentioned), and if not that, then it's a good idea to consider being kind to people trying to do their jobs rather than reducing what they've done to nothing.

Like I said, I wasn't trying to say "HEY STOP BEING MEAN GUYS", I was offering a different perspective on how the people who work on the website may feel when being told the work they put in is just "wasting time". 

You made this thread assuming the developers would read it. For me, when reading it, I imagined how the person would feel to read a thread that was full of requests and things that we wanted...and punctuated with us telling them they're wasting their time and they weren't doing any real work. And I just thought...man, if I was that dev, I really wouldn't want to listen to these people.

I don't think I was scolding you, at least I hope not - but if it came across that way it certainly wasn't my intention. All I know is that when I say something insensitive, it always helps me when a friend points it out to me because even if I didn't intend it to come across that way it helps me be aware of it for the future. Again - I was just offering a different perspective.

ShinyMagpie

If you read what I wrote that is not what I took issue with at all. 

IllegallyBlonde

Oh and if we insist on "fixing" BT, then I would love to actually be able to find my subscribed threads somewhere.

IllegallyBlonde

Make BT available on the app! That would be awesome.

Organizing Love Lists is a great idea, too.

sparklekai

yessir.jpg

i agree with everything you said!  i would also like to be able to have some way to organize my loves list...maybe type of product, somewhere for products i already purchased

snichs.jpg

i get that some ppl were unhappy with a couple of posts (still think they need to find their sense of humor! and stand by the "you don't like it don't read it" concept) but SOOOOO many more people have voiced concerns and complaints about other things (retail website issues, rouge promo issues, rouge email issues, the war between sephora and canada) is this not more important?!?!

ghkim

what she said - all of it.

also, i would like the what's new section to really actually be the new stuff. i feel like i have to search for what's actually new and it doesn't show up in the what's new section until its a week or two old. we makeup junkies need to know and buy what's new before before all the normal people.

Plantgarden

[ Edited ]

Agree with everyone's recommendation.

(does not condone animals for entertainment :smileysad: oh my Magpie)

YouAreAlways

(0) Hearts

Where do we stand with Paula? 

killahbabe

I don't stand with Paula... I RIDE with Paula!

unillama copy2.jpg

Plantgarden

You girls are crazzzzzzzy, but hilarious!! :smileyvery-happy:

YouAreAlways

[ Edited ]

killahbabe

Well I've got a laptop, desktop, and ipad filled with ridiculous photos at this point! But my Paulas are on the laptop, so I think that's the computer to steal. haha.

jojobe

Someone quick get the butter

sparklekai

images.jpeg

ask and you shall receive

Plantgarden

(0) Hearts

Paula who?

YouAreAlways