ShinyMagpie

Website suggestions/requests...

Since the web monkeys are all up in the place making changes this week how about some new functionality on the retail site instead of wasting time on the forums?

I would LOVE to be able to go to a product page and see a notice across the top like at amazon dot come that says "you purchased this product on January 15th 2014". 

Or how about not deleting product pages or making them disappear when something is out of stock? We can't even read or leave reviews for a product then. It's so random which product pages disappear and which don't. It's beyond annoying. 

How about improving the 'loves list' section so that we can categorize and set priorities or even make notes for ourselves? 

You guys obviously have all this time on your hands (the programmers not the mods) to waste on the forums which according to statistics is only 3% of your website traffic. 

How about doing some real work and making the site work better for purchasers? 

web monkey.jpg

The-Wise-Monkey.jpg

computer_monkey.jpg

article-1206973-06153D1D000005DC-213_468x267.jpg

monkey_computer1.jpg

maltipoo66

Re: Website suggestions/requests...

I agree with the idea of being able to organize the love list-even just being able to put them in my own order of when I want to purchase them would be a big improvement.

butterblume

[ Edited ]

I mean no disrespect in saying this, but I sometimes wish, when making requests, we could be a little more courteous about it. I know it's playful - but I also know a few of my programmer friends hate being called code-monkeys though, so maybe not every web dev may take kindly to a request thread where they're bombarded with monkey pictures, y'know?

I definitely understand the point about directing resources to more productive avenues such as in improving the shopping aspect of the site, but at the same time I don't think it'd be amiss for us to also be appreciative of the fact that they're trying to improve BT for our benefit, yeah? After all, working on the forums isn't really going to help their profits, but I think it's nice that they care enough to do so. 

Having said that I definitely agree it'd be super to see some quality of life improvements on the main Sephora websites - I think a suggestion thread for that is a great idea! I've been thinking about things I'd like to see and I've been lacking for a place to put them so this is an excellent opportunity.

1. I would love to be able to track points that I accumulate and spend - like a bank balance. Especially for events like the double or triple points, it's difficult to tell if my points have been applied because I don't always remember my running balance, and I've experienced points panic where I forget I've redeemed something sometimes. So a way to track them would be great!

2. A "x number left in stock" message on product pages when an item is below a certain level, for example, below 200, or 100, or even 50. This would sooooo save on the heart ache of JUST missing an item because we think there's still plenty left and we can wait - and it'd boost sales too because the moment we know an item is limited we're bound to go order it!

3. I would really appreciate a more advanced search function for products. For example, I would love to see EVERY product that was below $10, or EVERY product that qualifies as "new" rather than just what's listed on the "new arrivals" page, because that's not a complete list.

And please don't take my above comments as me trying to be a party pooper or judging in any way, I know nobody here is malicious or mean spirited in any way - we're all just being goofy and having fun - just hoping to offer a different perspective.

SydBristow

I feel pretty strongly that the forums ARE a marketing tool for Sephora. I alone have spent a small fortune on things I wouldn't have even known about had it not been for BT. Such as...I was having severe skin issues, based on feedback from other members I ordered First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream in the largest size THAT day, and since then have purchased two more  in more portable sizes. I learned about Naked 3 before the launch here and purchased when it came out - actually, two - one for me and one for a friend. I became a NARS fan here.  I want Hourglass ambient lighting powders because i see how popular they are.  I split the UD liner vault with two other ladies here, that's $300 alone and I wouldn't have ever purchased it on my own.  I ordered Anastasia Dipbrow the day I saw images posted by some ladies here who were using it and their eyebrows looked fabulous! I am building up my DDG skincare collection, I was given some great feedback here on their C serum.

This is all stuff I purchased because of the forums, and after over a year I bet there's a lot more than that!  I always read product reviews before buying - there is a value to providing a place for us gals  to talk about makeup and skincare. I am going to listen feedback from people who are impartial with no ulterior motives, and I am always glad to sing the praises of products that have worked form me. (I am known to a few to be an enabler for Urban Decay products.)

Im not sure I wouldve made Rouge, BT has changed my spending and fueled my makeup obsession. What I'm saying is...companies spend a LOT on marketing costs, in my opinion, BT is a marketing tool in that it creates sales by pretty much working for itself.  Not that it doesn't require some work, with coding and moderating, but really it's the community supporting the community. There is value to drawing people in, especially those who have lots of experience with makeup and brands, because they can help others with their questions.

Can anyone else think of things they have purchased BECAUSE of BT? I am sure I'm not alone... :smileytongue:

Plantgarden

[ Edited ]

Absolutely no doubt.  It is a marketing tool for Sephora and nothing more.   If they were not making a profit from this,...it would gone.   And unfortunately, I have fallen into their trap and spent WAY more than I would have, had it not been for BT and all those darn enablers!!!  :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:

anaa

You're not alone Syd, I bought some of the very items you listed as well!  This board is very profitable for Sephora.

veronika23

I can't think of specific products right now but it's a lot! I know I got into Hourglass because of BT and like you said we shared the vault which I wouldn't have purchased by myself. I spent way more because I joined BT. A lot of enabling BECAUSE of BT. IMO BT is a marketing tool. People talking about products and how they like them etc. In french we call it bouche à oreille and it's probably the best type of marketing/advertising a company could ever ask for!

butterblume

Definitely. BT has been such a terrible source of enabling for me. Every time my husband sees me on the forums he's like "Oh god what are they going to make you buy now?" :smileyvery-happy:

veronika23

"trying to improve BT for our benefit"

What do you mean by our benefit??? You certainly don't speak for me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who hates the new changes.

butterblume

That the intention is to do it for our benefit doesn't mean that it actually works out that way. I think basically any changes to BT probably don't end up benefiting Sephora in any meaningful way profit-wise, so when they do make any changes, why do they do it? To annoy us? That seems unlikely.

I think changes - for the most part - are always well intentioned, and always intended to improve the site for us, the users. It may not always succeed in doing so, and as I said, I'm not a fan of the changes myself, but I can certainly see the good intentions for what they are. I'm not trying to speak for you, as I didn't say "This benefited us", I said they're "trying to do it for us". Judging from the responses to Candi's announcement, I think many others also saw it as something positive.

Again - I didn't see it as a good change. I don't like not being able to see the OT threads, because half the threads I start are Off Topic and now I'm probably going to forget to go there. I'm making a general point, not a specific one to this change.

sparklekai

i think that we are now at the point in life where we take politically correct too far!  no one would ever say a word if we always made sure that whatever comment wouldn't offend someone!! 

AznAngelLiz

I agree Sparkle! In general, not just on this topic, I think being politically correct has gone too far. 

This is exactly what happened with the Kat Von D lipstick (name that I shall not mention just because it'll cause even more drama) being pulled from Sephora, and even in sports where everyone was urging the Washington Redskins to change their team name because it was offensive. They did a poll and majority of Native Americans do not find that name offensive, it's just politically correct people feeling like they have to "correct" everything. 

All I have to say is if the people we are supposedly making fun of (which no one is) aren't offended by it, then why would you be offended for them? I'm sorry if I offended anyone by posting this, but I've always felt that if it doesn't have to do with me, I should not get involved (unless I see a person beating up/stealing from someone else...or if I see someone riding a llama without a seat belt :smileytongue:). 

rdesigns

ITA.  I feel like our language is being hijacked, and someone is always getting offended by something.  I try to live and let live unless someone is trying to force their social/political/whatever agenda on me.

butterblume

I think that's a bit of a cop out. Obviously there are basic rules of courtesy that we adhere to, we don't abuse each other, we don't curse, we try to be as polite as possible, don't we? That doesn't mean we can't say what we're thinking in fear of offending, it just means we try and consider our words before hand. I think that's a concept that's been in place for quite a while and so far I think it's worked out.

sparklekai

i don't think its a cop out at all!  i'm not saying go out and call people names but just because you don't agree with something i've said/done/thought doesn't mean that i am a bully or offensive or don't care about other people.  

there is no way of knowing what will or will not offend someone (e.g web monkey offended you but does not offend the 20 programmers i currently know) unless you have a seat in their brain.  by addressing this in your post, you made the web monkey term the issue instead of what shiny was actually posting about - the fact that time and resources are spending time and money fixing issues that upset a few, instead of addressing issues that affect many (rouge issues, email issues, the war between sephora and canada)

veronika23

keep-calm-and-fight-for-narnia-3.png

I mean Canada... :smileywink:

SydBristow

Well there are lots of "nicknames" that are used for my job as well as many of the things I'm into. And I get called them and it doesn't bother me. They can only bother someone if that person lets them, unless it's said with malicious intent (which doesn't seem to be the case here).  So if the intent isn't meant to be abusive, where is the issue? Are you taking it that way on someone's behalf?

Just trying to clarify because I find it confusing. Are you one of the programmers?  You mentioned you are not being judgemental but I am reading (perhaps incorrectly) that you are judging the intent of the OP. That is where my confusion lies I guess. 

butterblume

[ Edited ]

My husband works in IT and he definitely finds the term "code monkey" offensive, which is why it's something I was aware of.

To use an example of intent vs effect - a kid in my class once referred to me as a g-0-0-k. He didn't mean it offensively, he was just ignorant and had parents who were equally ignorant. I didn't take offense from him - but I did let him know that it was an offensive term and that others who didn't know his intent, might take offense from that.

I didn't judge him - just offered a perspective on how someone else might feel.

That was my intention with my original post. If it didn't come across that way, then my communication skills clearly need some work.

ShinyMagpie

Not sure how old your husband is but codemonkey dot com used to be a huge developers resource website. 

butterblume

Okay, I'm not sure why we're belaboring this point because it was a 1 sentence comment in 3 paragraphs about what I was trying to say.

My husband is 27. I think it's great that you're not offended by it, but the truth is just because you're not offended by something doesn't mean that it's not offensive. Context also matters. I'm not offended by my friends calling me an "oriental" jokingly, but if somebody else did, I would be. Just because my friend doesn't mind it when people call him the N word doesn't mean that it's not offensive for a whole bunch of other people. Some women don't mind being called b-word, some do. Just because it doesn't offend you - doesn't mean it's not offensive.

From Wiki:

Code monkey may refer to:

Code monkey, a derogatory term for an unskilled programmer who is only able to perform trivial or repetitive computer programming tasks or a reference to a job that treats even experienced computer programmers in a way that trivializes their problem-solving abilities. Can also be used as a derogatory term to express "even a monkey could write this code", which is often resented by computer programmers as it trivializes the complexity of programming.

Obviously your experience with it differs. And that's fine. But it doesn't mean that your experience is universal.

Like I've said previously, I understand it was a joke. I will accept I may have even been oversensitive specifically to that comment. As others have pointed out, it's silly to be offended over everything. The only reason I even mentioned it was in the context of "When we ask for things, it is good to be nice and not insult the people we ask."

I had no idea this idea would be so controversial.

ShinyMagpie

Sweetie you're the one belaboring and I'm really sick of your condescending cloaked in sugar passive aggressiveness. "I'm not sure why we're belaboring this point"... "but let me belabor some more". There I finished your sentence for you. 

You find it offensive I get it. I don't. Difference of opinion. I'm not going to stop using the term because you find it offensive. 

Context? I see you cherry picked your definition to suit your purposes. This was one of the first ones that came up for me. You know what's great about Wiki? If you don't like what it says you can just change it.  

Urban Dictionary

code monkey
An affectionate term for a specific kind of underpaid, overworked (often by volition), increasingly underappreciated indentured servant, otherwise known as a Software Programmer.

Derrived from the Latin-Greek "Codex" and the Obsolete-Japanese "Donkey Kong San"
"Socrates says we're all just expendable code monkeys, sitting here in the late Tokugawa period. . ."

"When we ask for things, it is good to be nice and not insult the people we ask." Really? I already stated that I didn't intend it as an insult. That is how you took it that's your problem not mine. 

I don't sugar coat my difference of opinion with back-handed insults. 

I suggest you re-read some of your responses and go Wiki the work hypocrite. 

SydBristow

Thank you for taking the time to clarify your thoughts, the additional insight is certainly helpful. Seems like because your husband is offended by it, it's sort of a trigger for you maybe?  But others wouldn't have the same response because everyone is different?

I call my hubby a wrench monkey because he's an awesome mechanic, I don't think it's one of his favorite terms but he doesn't mind it either.  :smileyhappy: I get called geek and nerd because I help people with computers, and I am actually sort of proud of that. :smileyhappy:   so like I said, all in the intent (which I see you get) and in the eye of the beholder. :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 92 replies
  • 389 hearts
  • 34 in conversation
    • nikki
    • killahbabe
    • maltipoo66
    • anaa
    • casualuxuryxo
    • spoiledbrat