Play! By Sephora Subscription Box Review And Discussion

Share photos and reviews on your Sephora Play Subscription Boxes here. If you're looking for reviews on any other box, look here: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Hauls/Subscription-box-photo-sharing/td-p/973905 

The subscription program is only offered by invitation at the moment. If you have not received an invite, you can join the waiting list here: http://www.sephora.com/play 

I do not have control over who receives invitations (whether they live in test cities or not), but I will edit this once the program opens to new groups.

If you want more information on the program or have questions not related to someone's box review, please visit this thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Sephora-com/PLAY-by-SEPHORA-Invitation-FAQs/td-p/2124432

Re: Play! By Sephora Subscription Box Review And Discussion

[ Edited ]

Here was the Play! Birthday gift.  Comparing the size to the 2016 Spring VIB sale bag:

Play!.jpg 

Thoughts about the event in the spoiler:

Spoiler

The group was pretty large (~16-20 people), most of whom stated they only RSVP'd to see what the gift was.  According to a couple ladies who attend regularly, 3-4 people for each event is the norm.

Because there were so many of us half of us were on each side of the makeup station.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself thanks in large part to the dynamic group we had.  The SA, who admitted being a bit overwhelmed by the number of people, was really nice and engaging.  Not only had she lined up the various items from each box, she also had other products that paired well with items from the box.  

Did I need another bag?  No, but it's better than that pen and notepad they handed out as a gift a couple months back.  Overall I am glad that I went.  I had a good time thanks to the other attendees and the SA.  Not sure how long the events typically run but we spent a little over an hour chatting with each other about the products & other Sephora things.

Here's to hoping they expand event locations soon!  

**Edited to Add: they did NOT have enough bags for everyone which was disappointing.  The only reason I received one was because another Play subscriber handed it to me & said she would wait for them to bring more.  Instead the SA had to run to the back & throw together 5-6 "goodie bags".  The positive is that they walked away with 6-8 deluxe samples, the downside is that because they were thrown together last minute there was no uniformity & at least one person noted several of the items she had received from the subscription previously.

[ Edited ]

Yea, another rant!  PLAY events!  Why can't these be in all stores???  Those monthly events are only in ONE Sephora in my entire major city.

Then this Anniversary thingie they just sent out is only in 2 cities in Texas!  Both in very small towns.  

Yea!  That is like giving a whale a Tic-Tac and expect fresh breath results! 

I thought the point of PLAY and PLAY events was to get people to shop in-store????  (and, why a 50 point bonus in-store card is included)

Who is exactly picking these cities?  If these events are part of the 'PLAY experience'.....well, I am not experiencing squat! 

Yes, how are these cities chosen? I wonder if it's by how many Play subscribers live there or something since it seems like Sephora is randomly throwing darts at a map. Or maybe they're just trying to get traffic into those specific stores? I think part of the point of Play is to drive traffic to stores with the Play pass, and maybe these are stores with lower sales?

It makes no sense to have events in Corpus and Brownsville but not San Antonio, Austin, or even within the Dallas city limits. I live within 100 miles of at least 21 Sephora and SiJCP stores, and Play events aren't available at any of them.

Weren't any in the Houston area either . 

It would've been a lot easier if they just added a special surprise in this month's box.  My guess is they are trying to get more traffic to their Play events.

One of the cities on the super-short list was Dublin, OH, which was super surprising to me (the Dublin location is a SiJCP and only down the street). I don't know why that particular Sephora, and although I am happy about it and RSVP'ed I don't know why only a few odd cities were included.

I was excited when I first saw that e-mail...until I saw where the "events" locations were.

[ Edited ]

All I was looking forward to in this box was the Trestique and Rahua.

I opened my box on Friday and planned to use Trestique to highlight under my eyebrows and SAME as many others.

The entire thing popped off when I first opened.

@Trestique  Get in here and Fix this!  pleeeeeeeease!  ;')

trestique.jpg

Oh this is a bummer.  Really happy I saw this post. I'm gonna be super careful opening mine. Sorry that happened @wheeeee 😰

Yea, I think the problem is that it just sits on top.   It is not twist-y like the BB/LM sticks.

That little bottom nub is not holding it in.  lol!!!!  Plus, it being a 'soft product' well it is messy!    @pixiedust2

@wheeeee Ok because of you I was prepared. I opened it super slow over a paper towel. It didn't fall out but was very wobbly in the stick. I pulled it out to see how it fit in. Then I just squashed it down in. So thanks for the warning. 

Glad to hear this!   @pixiedust2

this same thing happened to me, but I was able to gently place the product back in the stick and it works ok-ish now.

still not ideal :/ it's a really pretty color though!

Received my Play box and my highlighter too was broken.  The entire thing popped off when I opened the cap.  Not cool.

Did anyone else get this yet?

IMG_8868.PNG

IMG_8869.PNG

I was able to successfully RSVP at a store I am located about an hour away from. This was the closest store I could find. It did take a few minutes (under five) to load the actual site.

I've been trying to RSVP for the past hour or two.. can't seem to get the link to work past selecting my store. Any tips ladies? :/

Annoying the closest one is 500 miles from me. Can they not expand the locations or rotate through some different locations.  Would have been nice if everyone got an extra item in their box instead. 

Thank you! I'm not driving 3 hours for what may turn out to be a DS of Smashbox primer. I've been subscribed from the git go - that email just made me angry. I don't care about the play "dates", but I like freebies just as much as anyone else. How about a unique promo code for those of us who can't make it there?? That's the least Sephora could do.

Received the email a few hours ago & had some issues with the RSVP link.  I had to go through the Play section of the Sephora website to actually RSVP.

I seriously hope their "exclusive gift" isn't like the last one they gave out that consisted of a double sided mirror, note pad, & a pen.....

Saw the email and it honestly annoyed me, the special gift should've been an extra item in everyone's box as opposed to something you can only get by going to a play date.