Play! By Sephora Subscription Box Review And Discussion

Share photos and reviews on your Sephora Play Subscription Boxes here. If you're looking for reviews on any other box, look here: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Hauls/Subscription-box-photo-sharing/td-p/973905 

The subscription program is only offered by invitation at the moment. If you have not received an invite, you can join the waiting list here: http://www.sephora.com/play 

I do not have control over who receives invitations (whether they live in test cities or not), but I will edit this once the program opens to new groups.

If you want more information on the program or have questions not related to someone's box review, please visit this thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Sephora-com/PLAY-by-SEPHORA-Invitation-FAQs/td-p/2124432

Re: Play! By Sephora Subscription Box Review And Discussion

I totally agree about the Nudestix color. I tried it on hoping it could look cool...nope makes me look scary!

I got my box yesterday and my highlighter stick is totally unusable :-(. The whole product came out of the tub is is squished/melted into the cap. I don't even think I could get it out to shove into the tube-----deciding whether or not I should contact them i've never received anything broken before but reading people's comments it seems like a lot of people experienced the same problem. 

[ Edited ]

Guess what was waiting in my mailbox when I got home from work today?  The elusive box #298!

It contains:

- Trestique highlight stick

- Grande Lips hydrating lip plumper

- Tata Harper resurfacing mask

- Milk blur stick

- Christophe Robin cleansing scrub

- Nest Black Tulip

Not a Smashbox primer to be found anywhere! 😜

[ Edited ]

Whew I think your box is a great one! I bought a travel size (because I just knew I wouldn't get it because I badly wanted it ☹️) of the hair scrub and used it yesterday, it was so nice my scalp was exfoliated, hair was soft and shiny/smooth. It even looked good after I washed it again today ( don't usually wash every day but worked out and got very very sweaty). I'll be curious to see how it does with next day dry shampooed hair. 

I've been really interested in the hair scrub myself @jen81. I have curly hair and only wash every three days. But after three days it feels like my scalp is crawling. I'm hoping that the scrub will help with the itchiness. Fingers crossed

@jozkid my Devacurl stylist recommended the Devacurl Micelular Water for the same problem. She also told me to use Nioxin 5 shampoo and conditioner in addition to my Devacurl products.

@Loretta55 I bought the Micellar Serum and have used it. It's nice, but it hasn't cleared up the itchiness problem. I used the scrub yesterday and my scalp feels pretty good today still. We'll see how it feels tomorrow.

I worry a little about the Deva. My scalp gave me no problems with flaking and itching before I went curly, but then again I was washing my hair at least every other day. I wonder sometimes if there's an ingredient in their products that I'm somewhat allergic to. That would make me very sad as there's no other curly-hair line that works as well for my curls as the Deva.

How often do you use the Nioxin products? Do you find them harsh on your curls?

(0) Hearts

@jozkid I only recently added the Nioxin 5. Like you, I only wash my hair 1 - 2 times per week. My Devacurl  stylist recommended that I use the Nioxin 5 system every other shampoo and use the Micellar Serum in between. Yesterday I washed my hair twice then massaged the Nioxin 5 conditioner into my scalp followed by Devacurl Delight conditioner (not massaged into my scalp). So far no itchies!

My Devacurl stylist told me not to use any salt scrub on my scalp because it would interfere with my color.

(0) Hearts

@jozkid The Nioxin 5 actually feels soothing on my scalp. It has zero effect on my curls as long as I take my time forming the curls.

Yes I think it helps with itchiness, at least for me!

I got box 272.  The trestique highlighter "crayon tip" of product fell off when I took the cap off the very first time.  Squished it back on the tube/stick and put it in the fridge.  Nice color, but STOP with the sparkly highlighters!  Second item I opened was Nudestix Lip Crayon.  What woman over 40 wants a lip color described as Greystone/griege?  But I tried it...product so soft it made a mess all over my lips trying to put it on and yes, the color was pure UGLY.  Plus it sucked all the moisture out of my lips immediately and I had to immediately hunt for a lip balm to relieve the discomfort.  As I was trying to remove the product from my lips I accidently dropped it on it's tip next to the toilet.  That was the last straw...I realized EXACTLY what the color looked like as I wiped it off the bathroom floor...and threw away the stick.  

[ Edited ]

Does anybody like the nudestix color? I don't understand why they would pick out this color choice to introduce people to their line!? Seems like you would want to pick a more universally flattering color!

I might be in the minority but I'm excited about the color.  I agree that maybe they should have gone with a more universally flattering color but I'm so tired of red and pinky nudes.

Well you can't please everyone. I wonder if this would work as a lid color? 

the tip of my trestique highlighter also was skewed Smiley Sad Also shoved it back in but I doubt I'll reach for it often knowing it's "delicate."

[ Edited ]

I like this box..I got 272.  Belif is something I really like as a brand so far, the hair mask is always welcome, and my daughter snagged the highlighter pencil immediately.  The Tocca perfume is okay- Ill use it eventually.  i also always want to try new cleansing oils, so the Tata Harper was a win.  The only thing Im not thrilled by is the Nudestix color I got, a dark brown.  I even  thought the bag was cute and Ill find something for it...

Has anyone out there gotten box 298? That's the one that I'm scheduled to get but I've seen NOTHING written about it yet. I don't even think I've seen anyone say that's the one they're getting.

*I'm getting the special box* LOL!

[ Edited ]

Special box:

Smashbox primer

Living Proof PHD

Benefit Porefessional

KVD black eye liner

and a surprise!

Surprise = Origins Ging Zing!  lol!!

Don't forget Sephora eye makeup Remover Smiley Happy

Holy crap. I started reading it and my heart was sinking. It took me a sec until I realized you were messing with me!  Oh what a downer of a box that would be!