Play! By Sephora Subscription Box Review And Discussion

Share photos and reviews on your Sephora Play Subscription Boxes here. If you're looking for reviews on any other box, look here: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Hauls/Subscription-box-photo-sharing/td-p/973905 

The subscription program is only offered by invitation at the moment. If you have not received an invite, you can join the waiting list here: http://www.sephora.com/play 

I do not have control over who receives invitations (whether they live in test cities or not), but I will edit this once the program opens to new groups.

If you want more information on the program or have questions not related to someone's box review, please visit this thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Sephora-com/PLAY-by-SEPHORA-Invitation-FAQs/td-p/2124432

Re: Play! By Sephora Subscription Box Review And Discussion

It's late but here is my Play! Experience.

I went to the one in NYC (86th and Lexington). I got there late because of traffic issues. I wasn't the only late comer and in the end there were about 12 of us.The beauty consultants usually start with an ice breaker ( this months question was to tell one quirky thing about yourself). They then displayed the items that were in the boxes and told us how to use each one, giving us little tips and tricks about how to use them. What I found interesting was that they freely admitted when they hadn't tried a product yet instead of bluffing their way through an 'oh it's the best thing since sliced bread' description. We were able to ask questions and were given samples of things we wanted to try.

Each of us got a bag so I assumed that they went by the number of RSVP's. They actually had to go in the back and get more bags for some of us latecomers so I don't know how many bags that Sephora actually received. In the bag were the following samples

Caviar Anti-Aging Infinite Color Hold TopCoat                         Shine Spray .85 fl.oz

Becca First Light Priming Filter  0.2 fl.oz

GlamGlow Youth Mud .5 oz

Drunk Elephant Lao Retro Whipped Cream .5 fl oz

I do want to commend Jeannette ( the coordinator of these events at Sephora 86th and Lexington) and her staff. At each of the Play! events that I have attended, they have been very professional and upbeat, willing to answer questions and make samples, and doing everything to make sure that our experiences are enjoyable and educational. Kudos to you, Jeannette- you are a superstar in my book! 

MSA spoilers for 3 June box variations are up:

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 10.46.52 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-25 at 10.46.44 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-25 at 10.46.39 AM.png

Porefessional blah really? I hope I get the middle box. I've been wanting to try the KVD lipstick formula and I don't like the purple color at all. The middle one (Lovesick) is something I would wear. I like the hair care options overall for the 3 boxes.

Thanks for the heads up! 

I decided to cancel my Play subscription after seeing these spoilers. Perhaps I will re-sub for the month after if the spoilers show improvement. I haven't really been impressed. Hopefully Sephora sees the amount of un-subs and/or looks at this thread to get an idea of consumer response. A lot of their recent promos have been new products, which could have been put into our Play boxes. After all, their marketing strategy for Play was for us to try *new* things, not give us leftovers. 

I see a lot of repeats........????

Are repeats common in these sub boxes???

I tried that Invisiblur sunscreen when I was  in Jamaica to protect from sun on a day's out.

All my pores turned red.  Like millions of tiny red dots all over my face.  

Never had that happen to me before.  Wonder what cause that reaction?

Ingredients list Retinyl Palmitate, which some say should not be used in the sun.

I just canceled as well. I'm so glad the spoilers for June are up because I would've complained so bad haha. The only box I would be teeny tiny interested in the third box but the lip color, porefessional and two hair products is just such a no no. I don't like how we have to receive hair products every single time, especially when we get volumizing products I have extremely thick hair.  It is such a shame because I do want to try out the OUAI hair oil. Let's see if I change my mind as the month progresses with more spoilers. 

I bet I get sent the one with the klorane and the porefessional, since I have about three of each of those sitting in the closet already. I wish we could pick our box because I've been wanting to try out Lovesick for a while.

Anything but Alien!! Please hear my cry for mercy lol

😂😂😂

Okay, I actually cancelled. The lip colors aren't something I will wear, and hair stuff never works for my super fine straight hair.  Smiley Sad

I've been debating it for a few months now - the first few boxes this year were great, but the last couple haven't been my style, and I'm trying to save money right now.  Fingers cross it picks up again in a couple months so I can resubscribe. Smiley Happy

I feel the same way! I've been thinking about it for a while but I've gotten a few good products here and there. This one is a complete miss though for me.

You just made me notice all the hair stuuff. I don't like to try new to things for hair but I hope they at least take into consideration our profile info. I better not get anything for curls or a salt spray to dry my bleached hair 🙁

[ Edited ]

Anonymous must be making up for the slight delay in spoiler releases for the May boxes because s/he is on it!

Each of these boxes have serious hits and misses.  Stores like Sephora & Ulta have been shoving that Benefit Porefessional down their customer's throats, they HAVE to know people are sick of it.  

I would be more content with samples of hair products if they actually provided enough product for me to use on my entire head ....

I agree completely @ElleElleG

I have extremely thick / long hair.....the Rahua Hair Mask I got last month, while I liked it, was nowhere near enough for my head of hair.

I do wish the hair care samples were larger.

[ Edited ]

Just bought alien. I have invisiblur, porefessional, lovesick and coola. 

Cant stand black opium and the purple is hideous. 

Overall, this isnt bad

Looks like it is the month of hair products---I actually am hoping for the purple color because I already have lovesick--the purple is not something I would ever buy but it might be fun to try. 

and somehow I think I am the only person in the beauty community who has never tried or got as a sample the porefessional so I actually would not mind getting it but I can see why it would annoy other people. 

Ughhhhhhhh.....Porefessional is like the nightmare that won't go away.  I will say that I am excited about everything else, although I hope I get the more rose color shade of KVD.  I won't wear the purple and would likely gift it. 

Everything looks pretty good though....I like the scent options / hair options...

[ Edited ]

I know I posted my disappointment in my PLAY box this month along with the broken @Trestique stick.

I have been wanting this MAC (true) green eyeliner for-ever in Landscape Green!!!! 

Showed up at Saks for $10 on Sale.  They had some pretty good GWPs picks.

Look what arrived as my 5 free samples!  LM shadow stick in Moonlight.  Gorgeous!  Plus, some other things I wanted to sample.  (mainly the fragrances since I love rose/lavender scents).

(point of story)  Got a shadow stick after all! ;')

the universe is.....grrrrrreat!saks1.jpg

saks.jpg

OMG I want that green eyeliner ASAP

[ Edited ]

Ooh, I wonder what the shade will be on the KVD liquid lippie (I'm guessing Lolita).  "Anonymous" has been pretty accurate

kvd1.JPG

KVD.JPG