reszo

How about gearing towards more women over 40?

I understand that Sephora is a fantastic store for all, but, there always seems to be more news and advice from an expert way under 40.  It would be nice to see some comments and questions from people over 40.  We don't normally use the same colors and techniques that younger gals do, right?

mafan

Re: How about gearing towards more women over 40?

I've found that I get great help from most people in the stores (and I'll be 50 in 5 weeks).  I've found that if someone knows what they're doing with makeup it doesn't matter the age and they can help me with makeup that suits my face and tastes and looks good on me.  (And no, I can't imagine glitter, but with my eye shape a bit of shimmer is not a bad thing.)  I do wish that I could sometimes find someone older in the skincare area.  It's not that they don't know products, but the younger associates are going more on reputation and not on issues that they've faced themselves.

That said, if you want more topics for older women on Beauty Talk -- ask questions!  We're the ones who create the content here.  I found I got a lot of good answers from women of different ages when I asked about retinol recently, for example.  There are older members here on the board and some even post a reasonable bit -- you just might not know their ages. 

I also think Sephora carries a good range of products.  Sure, you might notice the giggling girls in the store more easily, but I've seen women of all ages there. And if more conservative colors and matte eyeshadows, for example, are your taste, they are there.  There is quite a range of skincare for all ages -- maybe even more for aging skin than for people who just need something basic.  And I've had older associates help me (and there are at least 5 guys who work at one of the stores near me, too).  You can't get Sephora to hire people who aren't looking to work there, of course.

The one thing I will generally say is that I wish Sephora were more sensible about how it makes samples available on-line.  We go through phases where everything is foundation (it's really going to take a while to forget that one), almost everything is for men, everything is all perfume, etc.  There is software out there that analyzes data and could keep everything nicely balanced and even predict what samples someone would enjoy based on past choices and what they picked that has gone out of stock to give someone something good when substitutions need to be made.  Heck, even a checkbox that said "no perfume" or "no men's products" would be really helpful.

Sorry, I strayed from the topic there.  but if you want comments and questions from older people -- ask the questions and comment when someone else asks them!

lecia1167

I'm soon to be 46, and I've also never had a problem getting great tips in my Sephora store. The men and women who work there are younger than me, but they know makeup. I don't think I'd get the same help at say MAC honestly. The last makeover I had done was there, and I looked like a drag queen! Ugh!

I agree. Ask questions here, and we will chime in with our ideas, and so will the beauty experts. As far as the store goes, go up and ask them questions. Maybe they're uncomfortable approaching you because of your age? I'm sure they're used to helping people closer to their own age. So teach them. We are typically going to be the big spenders in there.

snowshoe

I agree.  What Sephora--and other stores--need to realize that it's the older clients that are going to have the real money to spend.  The youngsters may spring for the latest glitter-bomed palette, but we're the ones investing in products--makeup as well as skincare--for the long run.  So not paying attention to our age range isn't a wise idea.  

lilyyy

(0) Hearts

And men! There are not enough promos and perks for the men in our lives.

lucyshnoosy

I am in my 50s and I agree that the concerns are often different as we get older.  I love it when there are older SAs in the mix at Sephora!  That being said, I have had great service from younger associates too.  Still, it is really nice when I get help from someone who really understands my concerns and may even have suggestions from her own experience. 

I often sort reviews based on age, because they are the most helpful to me.  I select the two oldest age ranges to read, and they often answer my questions most directly.

Tayvm

I've never had a problem with no one wanting to help me.  And when I look around in the store, I find that there is a good mix of ages (customers).  I think it's a matter of the staff being familiar with the products so that they can make good recommendations.  So far, I've been pleased with suggestions they've made ... even though I'm old enough to be their mother and the pre-menopausal hormone issues are not even something they want to contemplate.

I'd love to see more threads here with "our" issues though :smileywink:

Cynara

I agree.  As I approach 40 my skin and makeup needs are changing and it would be great to hear from those who share my concerns.  I also find I have lots more money and willingness to spend it than I did in my 20's!  I'd like to do so effectively.  

rdesigns

(0) Hearts

I really like reszo's idea of different beauty experts for different ages. I know that when I go into my local store, no one ever wants to help me. Everyone who works at that store is in their 20's or very early 30's, and they brush me off because of my age (I am 50).  It is very frustrating! I personally think they are making a huge mistake because many women my age are more open to spending a lot more on individual products. So, I have to primarily rely on the online product reviews. 

bratknits

Good idea.  The last time I let someone under 25 do my makeup I looked like someone glitter bombed grandma.

ShinyMagpie

This cracked me up. As you can tell with a name like shinymagpie I'm definitely drawn to glittery and shiny things. That being said -- being over 40 I have to be careful about not looking like the proverbial mutton dressed up as lamb. My girlfriend and I have a saying -- Put some glitter on it b*tch. Glitter fixes everything (except your makeup). :smileyhappy:

lucyshnoosy

Dear ShinyMagpie,

I am a glitter lover too!  My wallet is glittery, I collect vintage glitter pins, all my friends know that I absolutely love sparklies.  They send me cards with lots of sparkles.  This love of shiny things hasn't changed for me since childhood.

That being said, glitter on my eyes or face is very unkind.  :-(  Still, it doesn't hurt to have some on my nails once in a while... :-)

ShinyMagpie

Some of us are just born with glitter in our veins. :smileyhappy: 

I love glitter nail polish too. Mostly on my toes. 

Rufflesandbows

Me too!  I had glitter polish on my toes, and my dermatologist saw it and said, "you must have girls."  I do have daughters, but that is not why I was wearing it!

ShinyMagpie

(0) Hearts

Hahaha! Well I can't even use the excuse of having kids. Nope no girls. Just addicted to shiny. :smileyhappy:

lucyshnoosy

(0) Hearts

Love your turn of phrase!  

Glittery makeup is definitely not my friend these days.

Nicrohr

lol :smileyhappy:  Even in my 30s, I do not appreciate glitter or juvenile make-up trends!  this was super funny tho :smileyhappy:.

reszo

Any chance that there is different beauty experts for different ages?  I'm willing to help out!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 40 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • lilyyy
    • mafan
    • lucyshnoosy
    • rdesigns
    • Rufflesandbows
    • snowshoe