melk9

Fake reviews.

I get the feeling that 70% of the reviews on Sephora.com are fake-- posted by the product distrubutor. I always click on the user and see if they've reviewed other items or not.. I mean, almost every product has at least 4 stars total. That seems a little unlikely. It bothers me.... Luckily they have a great return policy so you can try things out yourself. Thoughts?

midnightangel

Re: Fake reviews.

Never trust the reviews on a product site. If you want honesty & objectivity you have to go to an impartial site with no sponsors or brand affiliations of any kind. Even then it's not 100% foolproof.

IllegallyBlonde

I know the feeling, and every time I leave a bad review I get down-voted ? 

syritt

(0) Hearts

I always find it a little sketchy when there's only one review and it's the highest praise ever, but I think that's a psychology thing. Maybe it really is someone's favorite product ever, and they just couldn't wait to review. Maybe a product wasn't very popular, but was a good product. It's just weird that I've seen it more than a few times that the first review is glowing and amazing, and then after that the negative reviews filter in. Of course nothing works for everyone, and it really could be a coincidence.

JGSFLA

(0) Hearts

I do find it strange that some products on here are rated very high while they are rated quite low on other sites.

sephoralovex

I always review products here on Sephora, they're mainly all positive... well because I make sure to do research reviews on other places before reading on Sephora. A great place to look at reviews negative or positive is makeupalley. It has helped me tons in the past!

ss08087

I always write reviews... Sephora deletes them when they're negative a couple of weeks later. It's actually so disappointing. I have no more trust in the reviews.

katekatastrophe

I actually do take the time to write reviews about products I buy on the website, because I know from doing it myself, that people read reviews before purchasing.

So no, they are not all fake.

Also, quenbee, the lip tars are lovely. Think of it like a liquid lipstick. However, I will say that if used incorrectly, they won't last. You need a teeeeeenny tiny drop and that is all. You can layer on a bit more once it dries, but don't cake it on. They're great for mixing and even work as cheek tints.

annonymous1

[ Edited ]

i have to agree with you, :smileysad: thats why i always ask reviews for expensive products on here, or i cross check it with ulta, i've seen so many things at sephora have 4 or 5 stars and then at ulta have one or two, its the same product so i don't know. 

its always good to look up reviews on youtube as well, cause you can see them apply it and they review it right on the spot and they'll swatch it for you and everything. 

i also agree with the makeupalley site, as well as makeup talk is the one i like. 

but i also agree with RxVanBuren, i usually buy most of my products because of the rave reviews anyway i guess i need to be more careful :smileytongue:

newermexico

after reading this  and researching my reviews here;seems to me the higher the $ for product more stars it gets...

some of my neg reviews don't get posted...

some people neg post on truthful  and coherent product reviews saying it was "unhelpful" -reminds me of high school.

for the person who typed about makeup alley- thank you I appreciate the info/went there.

MoreGun89

Usually I'll see if I can find the item on makeupalley too, they tend to keep most reviews and I can see how they add up :smileyhappy: Plus the users on there are very critical!

ellevee09

(0) Hearts

Wow! I always read the reviews. Sad to know if they are fake. I always write reviews on products that I love, hardly ever do I write on products I don't. I think I will. :smileyhappy: 

quenbee

(0) Hearts

You know I take reviews with a grain of salt and always read the reviews from lowest to highest.  But since being on the BT found that the information and advice I receive here greatly outweighs the information on the product page. Example - I was thinking about buying the OCC Lip Tars. And user nini831 posted two 5 star reviews of the same product with no other reviews???? I don know seems fishy to me! Anyway, based on some posts I read here, they are very drying!!!!! My lips tend to be dry to begin with.  I am glad I was able to read that feedback on BT and I feel it helped me make a more educated decision.

annonymous1

(0) Hearts

i hate OCC liptars! i've heard nothing but good reviews and i know i'm not the only one! i got black dahlia thinking it would be dark and it came out like a really light purple red, it wasent pigmented and it barley lasted an hour. 

MintShake

(0) Hearts

It's funny because the four review oned always say how wonderful the produvt is and you're like: how come not 5? 

sulfate

I have had Sephora delete my negative reviews 2 out of 2 times.  It's a shame this potentially great resource can't be taken seriously because there isn't integrity in the system. 

connieconcon

I haven't actually noticed my negative reviews get deleted on Sephora's website, but they are harder to find.  I cross check everything with Makeup Alley just to be safe.  

I think overall, Sephora is probably one of the less aggressive websites at filtering negative review.  Ever been to the website for any specific brand?  Nary a negative review in sight!  :smileyhappy:

bittersweet86

I don't think you can be 100% wrong but you also have to remember that some people might only review on products they actual like. I know I do that unless it's a product I really don't think people should buy because I don't like writing bad reviews since it could be just me that doesn't like it. For example I have the first Naked palette and everyone loves it were I think it's just ok but I don't feel like i need to write a bad review for it because well everyone else likes it so hey what's one iffy review. 

aviscardi

I agree.  I'm more likely to write a review when I like something and very few when I don't.  Also because most of the time I research a product first before buying unless its the few random buys

bittersweet86

(0) Hearts

Very true research is alway a good thing. 

Panda168

I think reviews should definitely be taken with a grain of salt... anywhere you look... even other review sites... you just never know who may be lurking. I guess that's why Sephora's return policy is a great one because you really don't know how you will like something or how your skin may react to it. I usually try to search out negative reviews first because I want to see why someone didn't like the product rather than amazing reviews. 

shhhhh

(0) Hearts

I definitely think that the product reviews are both predominantly fake and heavily filtered by Sephora. I have submitted multiple negative reviews about products, only to have them never show up (??) with the rest of the reviews. Most recently, this happened with the Kate Somerville Retasphere. I only trust MakeupAlley -- never the Sephora reviews. I mean, some of them are so obvious it's hilarious.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 108 replies
  • 243 hearts
  • 78 in conversation
    • oliviabt
    • keelybt
    • kalex
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • connieconcon