melk9

Fake reviews.

I get the feeling that 70% of the reviews on Sephora.com are fake-- posted by the product distrubutor. I always click on the user and see if they've reviewed other items or not.. I mean, almost every product has at least 4 stars total. That seems a little unlikely. It bothers me.... Luckily they have a great return policy so you can try things out yourself. Thoughts?

Panda168

Re: Fake reviews.

I think reviews should definitely be taken with a grain of salt... anywhere you look... even other review sites... you just never know who may be lurking. I guess that's why Sephora's return policy is a great one because you really don't know how you will like something or how your skin may react to it. I usually try to search out negative reviews first because I want to see why someone didn't like the product rather than amazing reviews. 

shhhhh

(0) Hearts

I definitely think that the product reviews are both predominantly fake and heavily filtered by Sephora. I have submitted multiple negative reviews about products, only to have them never show up (??) with the rest of the reviews. Most recently, this happened with the Kate Somerville Retasphere. I only trust MakeupAlley -- never the Sephora reviews. I mean, some of them are so obvious it's hilarious.

macnly

I don't know whether there are fake reviews, but I can tell you honestly that THEY DELETE THE BAD REVIEWS since I experienced that. I bought a product online from Sephora and when I received it I found that one item was definitely used by other people before. It was hardly to verify the evidence since the shopping process is not face to face. So I just put a review about that product, telling ppl that it is not recommended to buy this kind of product online base on my experience. Then you know what, my review was highly rated, but after one month my review disappeared. I was so pissed off so I wrote a similar one again, but they did not even let my comment show on the review page. 

desertbr4t

(0) Hearts

thete are two things i've noticed. 

1. my negative reviews have a much higher chance of being filtered. Actually, my positive reviews have never been filtered. 

2. The visual representation of the stars ( the five clear stars filled in with red) doesn't always match the actual number of stars. I don't know if there's a lag between calculation of score 3.5 stars vs. updating of the visual or not. 

kenny

Honestly I always take the reviews with a grain of salt (a rather large one at that :smileyhappy: ) Many people give what I believe are"fake reviews" or give reviews and ratings on some ridiculous criteria i.e. giving a product a low rating because it is expensive......this tells me absolutely nothing about the products performance. 

I like to read reviews as they give me a good idea of any potential problems with the product, like if many people found the product wasn't long wearing, or had a tendency to break, these kind of things popping up in many reviews sets off a red flag. But generally I use multiple resources and my own in store swatching to give me feedback before I buy something

RxVanBuren

When in doubt, i say look over the products ingredients disclosure lists. If one is not provided and you r curious or interested in the product you can usually find a direct line to OMP (orginal manufacturer of product) - customer contact email address/ toll-free US phone number and be provided partial or full ingredients listing on the product. A beauty advisor made mention of this fact to me in one of my reviews as I had sounded like a cynacist &  a bit of a "doubting Thomasina" about several of the product claims myself (product had no ingredients listing on this site). I realize that the full/partial disclosure on product formulations can lawfully b aquired to some extent for the sake of avoiding skin reactions in end users whom are sensitive to some substances. Dermatologist(s) can provide much feedback regarding cosmeceutical products & makeup even more readily. Im not a B.A. or a line rep. They can suggest or state opinions, in the end it is the client who determines the personal effectiveness of a product. I make very candid reviews on products (some after more than 3+ years worth of daily use). I "scour" details, read reviews in the form of low -> high queries and visa versa. Then i study all provided ingredients and known skin aggressors/irritants that are relevant to human skin. I'm ancient compared to most of the clients here but I enjoy using cosmetics (4 my pre-historic age in comparison to some). If u used the products, (moreover, u have purchased product(s) + use product(s)) - this is your sounding board of sorts; it DOES assist clients and the company itself in deciding what may need re-formulation (sure, feedback goes back to the merchandisers/line reps) but they would hardly spend their time on the "Beauty Talk" advisory. The website tallies most of the trending marketting info. We r clients -- do we want improvement through intelligent means or is it simply a chance to join in a cat-clawing, mud-mask slinging gripe fest (i say that humorously, of course). Effecting change takes collaboration on the part of the most valued aspect in a people oriented business - which is? Yep, collaborating on behalf of what the clients want most fervently. It would b corporate suicide to try to market products that clients did NOT want. More in depth posts like ones in this thread - this is ideal. Youth expressing 'its; ideas, exploring and taking indepth look at what's on the "menu" and what the recipe is. Informed choices r good, Your opinions even better. Refreshing.

Christine818

[ Edited ]

I see where you're coming from...I definetly fear that, especially when I rely so heavily on reviews input before making purchasing decisions. But honestly, I don't think they at all are - though I've ammalgamated tons of products from various lines at sephora I've only managed to review two things so far, and both I gave 5 stars. Like another poster said, I feel more inclined to write a review for a great product rather than a mediocre one. However, there are so many FANTASTIC products that deserve 5 stars that I still haven't reviewed. Rather, it's the fact that I don't always have time/patience as I am one to write really thorough reviews - we're talking a couple paragraphs here! On that same note, just because someone has written a really in-depth, thorough, perfectly structured review, that by no sense means they are affiliated with a company. The reason I write such long reviews is 1. I'm a perfectionist and always write long anything and 2. I know as a VIB myself, I really appreciate a thorough, honest review. My biggest pet peeve is when people review a product, but then either don't list the particular colour they're reviewing or there skin conditions/colouring so as to give reasion for why they did not like it. As in most scenarios different colour across that same formular perform can very differently and similarly, the tastes and preferences for colour of one person though I do believe serve as helpful advice, I don't think a product should be marked down solely on the basis that "I hate blue" or "This colour is too cool-toned for my skin tone" - that is the staffer/your error in picking an inappropriate shade, and does not reflect the quality of the product!

Conversely, if you are worried about the possibility of fake reviews I highly suggest that you take into account reviews for the same product(s) as made on various other sites. That is what I generally do - if I am lemming a product I will scour other site/blog reviews for thoughts and opinions and to serve as a sort of validation of comments as made on Sephora. Overall, if they're are all positive and/or reflect similar concerns over a product then I am confident that I know what to expect of my purchase.

Sorry for the rant, I am just so emotional when it comes to my makeup additction :smileytongue: What a great topic for debate!

Cheers to that!

enushiv

I agree with you its not just because of the fact that almost all products are 4 stars but because what they write in the review sounds fake, like a commercial. It botheres me to its not fair and respectful to customers, its just sad

blondeglam

Well, I know I'm a real person and I try to review the products I use to hopefully help others in their decisions. I read the actual reviews when looking for a product and find them pretty honest and helpful.

lowrah

I usually rate everything 5 stars because I do it right after I use something and when I'm excited about a product. If I've had a ho-hum experience, I'm less likely to take the time to review it.. which I know, doesn't help, but it's just how I am. I'm the same way on yelp, except I have one 1 star from a horrible experience at a restaurant that I just had to vent about. Oh and a 2 star review for this super popular hiking trail that is full of rude people and no parking spots!

sephoramusthave

haha! Sephora is actually the only place where I post reviews, just because I spend a lot of money here and I rely on all you beaitiful ladies to show me the way. :smileyvery-happy:

glamouraddict

I don't think that any of the reviews are fake or made deliberately by someone associated with that brand.  But I do believe that everyone is different and what works for one person may not work on another. For example, one person with combination skin may give a moisturizer  product a 5-star rating, because the product really worked for them; however, it might be given a 1-star rating by someone with sensitive skin because it irritated their face.

sephoramusthave

Actually I have seen reviews posted by the companies themselves. Someone from Benefit posted a 5 star review, and they attached a youtube video as well so they made it really obvious. I wish Sephora wouldnt post those, because I dont care what Benefit people have to say about Benefit products. I just care what customers have to say about it.

dianabt

Hi sephoramusthave, 

Do you happen to remember the product that you found the review under? We definitely do not enforce or condone fake reviews and have pretty strict terms to posting reviews just to make sure everything is more fair and has an equal chance at being rated. :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
sniffybunny

Could you take a look at the reviews for Make Up For Ever HD Microperfect Primer? I noticed what appear to be clearly fake reviews from carolineops (submitted 5 reviews for the same procuct all saying that it's the best thing ever. and no other reviews of other products. really??), mushkane (the review doesn't even sound like a review, it reads like a marketing description of the product, this is the only review submitted from this user), and sldixon5 (3 reviews of the same product, no other reviews). And that's what i noticed within just a few minutes of reading on the site.

honestly, reviews like these (which i assume were submitted by the marketing team at mufe) really degrade the authenticity and value of all reviews on sephora. it comes across as extremely deceptive and puts a bad taste in my mouth for the mufe brand. 

enushiv

i know i agree with you i noticed that and i feel like i cant trust reviews anymore! :smileysad:

dianabt

@sniffybunny, I'll check those out! We do have brand contributors who assist in answering product q&a's but we don't endorse reviews from them as promotions. :smileyhappy: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
sniffybunny

Thanks for looking into it! Do brand contributors work for the brand itself, or are they consumer advocates (not paid by the brand)? If they work for the brand, I'd assume that they should identify themselves as such in their reviews right? and i would also think they wouldn't contribute a star rating with their review, since that would impact the overall rating. i'm not 100% confident, but I think that's how it's done on other sites like Yelp....

Sonne

I actually just reviewed a product a few days ago and didn't provide a positive feedback on it - so far the review has not shown up yet under the product...  I had given other reviews in the past (must have been at least 7+ so far) which were mostly positive and it only took max. 2 days to appear on the site.  So I am also sceptical about these reviews after mine not showing up.  The only thing I can think of why it didn't show up is, because I mentioned a product from a drug store by name from which I got more or less the same results.  Is that a no no? Not sure, so I am not convinced that these feedbacks represent a true picture from all users.

katie1724

Sonne wrote:

[...] The only thing I can think of why it didn't show up is, because I mentioned a product from a drug store by name from which I got more or less the same results.  Is that a no no?

Yes; this is exactly why the review did not post. If you read the guidelines / TOS, you're not allowed to mention other product names in the review.

dianabt

Thanks Katie1724, 

The full review guidelines again, can be found here> http://reviews.sephora.com/content/8723illuminate/guidelines.htm

Also, sometimes not all the reviews are filtered directly to us for review and the system will flag them for a certain word used or reference to an outside brand/product/store. So while not EVERY review is rejected, sometimes they are in error and can still be posted. :smileyhappy: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 110 replies
  • 248 hearts
  • 80 in conversation
    • oliviabt
    • keelybt
    • kalex
    • runy
    • katie1724