melk9

Fake reviews.

I get the feeling that 70% of the reviews on Sephora.com are fake-- posted by the product distrubutor. I always click on the user and see if they've reviewed other items or not.. I mean, almost every product has at least 4 stars total. That seems a little unlikely. It bothers me.... Luckily they have a great return policy so you can try things out yourself. Thoughts?

katie1724

Re: I actually don't think they're fake -- if they were writt...

[ Edited ]

Just out of curiosity, I decided to check out my own reviews. I have written more than three hundred product reviews for Sephora -- and I keep track of what I have reviewed in a MS Word document (nerdy, I know). Of the 300+ reviews, every single one of my low-star reviews remains posted. I'm assuming this is because I took the time to address what I did not like about the product, and why it did not work for me personally. If you had a review deleted (or not posted in the first place), I would be curious as to what the content was.

During the initial Naked Palette craze, there were many, many people who submitted one star reviews that said -- almost verbatim: "I am so sick of this being unavailable!! And why are you deleting my reviews?!" -- those are the types of reviews that were posted -- and why wouldn't Sephora delete those? Whether or not a product is available has absolutely nothing to do with the actual product itself -- which is the point of consumer reviews. To anyone whose review was deleted, I would think about the content and how much it had to do with the product. If, by any stretch of the imagination, it did not have to do with the product, OR you mentioned a product NOT available through Sephora (anything from Chanel to Neutrogena), your review would not have been posted in the first place -- or it might have been removed, per Sephora's guidelines.

(Moving on from the original post) This is not the first time I have read about people doubting the authenticity of Sephora's reviews -- which, quite frankly, I fail to understand. I wrote my 300+ reviews for products that I tried and loved, tried and liked -- and tried and thought, "Meh." I wrote a ton of reviews over a short period of time simply because I was having a slow period at work. While I wish that I were, I am unfortunately not a Sephora employee -- just someone with a passion for beauty products and time on her hands. Lastly, as for claims that "no one" can try that many beauty products, I'm sure that Citizens Bank would be glad to verify my spending habits.

: )

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

I recently posted a 1 star review ( 2-3 days ago) on the Sephora Brand Face Brush and it didnt get posted. I just wrote that it was too rough on my skin and that I wish I did love it, because the price is awesome and it would have saved me tons of money on things like makeup wipes and toner. And this isnt the first time my negative reviews were not posted, so I dont understand why Sephora doesnt post my reviews, but keeps things like "too expensive" or "sick of this not being available" and "cant wait to try this!". So I dont think that the reviews are fake, but someone at Sephora is filtering out reviews to keep at least a 4 star average on most products. I know that on here reviews on the Clarisonic are 5 star, but on other places like QVC its much much lower ( well the overall score isnt lower, but there are a LOT more negative reviews there than Sephora has) and they give much better deals too. ( For $225 you get all 3 skin care brushes, the body brush, the pro machine and a bunch of full size skincare products from companies like Philosophy, Clarisonic and the like.)

keelybt

Reviews may be removed if they do not meet our guidelines.

@Sephoramusthave and Tamelee - It looks like your reviews were rejected in error.  I've approved them and they should be up later today.  :smileyhappy:

sephoramusthave

Thank you SO much keelybt!!

runy

At any given point for any product, you can click on the reviewers name and the reviews of all the products they have reviewed will come up.  So if you feel like a review is fishy, check a person out and you can determine how legitamate they are.

katimae

Could you be more specific to what you posted the negative review on so that a moderator could respond for all of us to see?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 110 replies
  • 248 hearts
  • 80 in conversation
    • oliviabt
    • keelybt
    • kalex
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • connieconcon