melk9

Fake reviews.

I get the feeling that 70% of the reviews on Sephora.com are fake-- posted by the product distrubutor. I always click on the user and see if they've reviewed other items or not.. I mean, almost every product has at least 4 stars total. That seems a little unlikely. It bothers me.... Luckily they have a great return policy so you can try things out yourself. Thoughts?

dianabt

Re: Fake reviews.

Thanks Katie1724, 

The full review guidelines again, can be found here> http://reviews.sephora.com/content/8723illuminate/guidelines.htm

Also, sometimes not all the reviews are filtered directly to us for review and the system will flag them for a certain word used or reference to an outside brand/product/store. So while not EVERY review is rejected, sometimes they are in error and can still be posted. :smileyhappy: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
beautylovingirl

Every one has their own opinions about certain products and I have read alot of negative reviews that were posted on a lot of different products so I don't think that any of the reviews are fake and most of them only come from the people who have actually used the product to put in their personal actual feeling about the product they have reviewed. So no I disagree also.

dianabt

sniffybunny wrote:

Thanks for looking into it! Do brand contributors work for the brand itself, or are they consumer advocates (not paid by the brand)? If they work for the brand, I'd assume that they should identify themselves as such in their reviews right? and i would also think they wouldn't contribute a star rating with their review, since that would impact the overall rating. i'm not 100% confident, but I think that's how it's done on other sites like Yelp....

Often the brand representative do NOT write reviews but only contribute to product Q&A. They are listed as brand ambassadors/reps and are really here to help answer questions that clients have about the items but not to actually review or write posts. :smileyhappy: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
makeupobesessed

I always see my reviews on the products so I hope the majority of them arent fake...some products have a really los standing...I would have to say I dont think they are false.

glamournut

I read reviews to help form an opinion on a product, especially if it's expensive! I do think Sephora reviewers are by far more fair in the reviewing of products than other make-up site users. I bought a highly rated on (another website)foundation and it was one of the worst, most expensive foundations ever. Sephora reviewers rated it poorly and all the reviewers on the other website rated it excellent. I should have researched it here first! It is disturbing to hear that a few reviews could be fake then, because I trust them.
sephoramusthave

It was a while since I've seen it but the review was on a kit and it had a pretty lengthy youtube video attached to it.

I know that it was probably posted because the video showed people how to correctly use the products in the kit but nontheless, it was still posted by somebody who just posted that one review, and it was someone from Benefit.

sephoramusthave

I dont think they are fake, because I write reviews too but I do think that people are quick to judge and rave about a product. I often see people post 5 star reviews after only having used the product once! Or sometimes people use a product a couple of times, rate it as a five, then use the product longer, and come back and rate it much lower.

mandyluvoxoxo

The best thing is to check at Makeupalley for other reviews on the product incase you suspect anything fishy on Sephora.com

1kellyn

i actually use makeupalley as well and it's not as thorough or updated and not on a variety of products like on Sephora. I don't think feedbacks are fake on here or else there won't be any negative feedbacks. Perhaps, this tells us that there's alot of people out there that are like you. Agreed, some products won't work for everyone while others do. That's the thing with feedbacks, I just have to try the product to see if it's a good fit for me personally. 

thecaramelapple

I don't think many reviews are fake, BUT you have to take into consideration what works for me might not work the same for you. I will admit there are bias reviews out there, especially if that person is affiliated with that company for some type of reward ( money or free products), but I don't think those people would use Sephora reviews as advertisments, since there are so many of them. Most people turn to blogs or youtube for that, not a little review out of hundreds on Sephora. Try to look at the probablity of situations. If 98 percent of people like a product, chances are you probably will too, but just as a heads up realize that this isn't always so. Sephora has a great positive beauty community of people who are willing to share what genuinely interests them. Most of the reviews are high in ratings, because Sephora sells makeup of high quality. I'm not saying everything you buy from Sephora is going to be fantastic, but I've been satisfied with the majority of my purchases. Like you said, Sephora has an awesome return policy, so if you hate it, send it back. A lot of products are expensive so it's nice to be able to get the money back.

mellowyellow55

[ Edited ]

I've had 2 of many reviews deleted, which happened to be the only 2 reviews that were negative. Coincidence? No way. I don't like the Urban Decay Liners & Giorgio Armani Aqua Di Geiora (sorry if not spelled correctly) perfume. Once I saw my reviews on Sephora.com, they were instantly within minutes taken down. What is up with that? Sephora will make money regardless if one person doesn't like it because I know MANY love eyeliners from UD. 

beebrunet

No, i don't think they're fake. It may have just been a coincidence in your case that the person liked all the products that they got, because some people are good at getting a great product they like on the first try. All the reviews are actually honest, not fake just to make the product look good. Like I said, the person you looked at more reviews form probably just chooses good products. :smileyhappy:

prettyinpa

I don't think the reviews are fake, but may be skewed towards the positive, because people are more likely to report a good experience than a mediocre one. It takes effort to write a review, though it does look like some people spent no effort at all!  I often find myself having to write a reminder to myself to write a review about a so-so product, whereas I will always write a positive one, so I can tell the world how great the product is. And Katie is right, 4 stars to me seems to be about what I would rate a product that is good, but not great. So that could explain why most things have a 4.

I wouldn't let the average of 4 stars sway your feelings towards a product. Just read what the reviews are saying: does the product actually work, does it cause problems for some people, is it overpriced, etc? Then make up your mind if the product is right for you, and if it turns out not to be, just send it back.

katimae

Hi Melk!  Of course everyone is allowed their opinion and although I find yours a little pessimistic, you are welcome to yours.  Personally I disagree with it.  I use to read the reviews as the came newest to oldest.  Now I read them least stars to most.  I want to read the negative reviews first. Of course as was said  earlier I skip the ones that aren't very valid like "I don't like the color of the jar."  But I read some of the good reviews too.  I pretty much know what I want to try and if I have a real question about it, I come on here, Beauty Talk, and ask my friends.  And I also like what was said earlier that there wouldn't be as many misspellings and grammar mistakes if it was fake. I'm not saying you should look at the world through rose colored glasses but maybe not with not so much of a Touch of Grey.

And whatever you decide to think, have great fun with your makeup!

pocketvenus

katimae wrote:

Hi Melk!  Of course everyone is allowed their opinion and although I find yours a little pessimistic, you are welcome to yours.  Personally I disagree with it.  I use to read the reviews as the came newest to oldest.  Now I read them least stars to most.  I want to read the negative reviews first. Of course as was said  earlier I skip the ones that aren't very valid like "I don't like the color of the jar."  But I read some of the good reviews too.  I pretty much know what I want to try and if I have a real question about it, I come on here, Beauty Talk, and ask my friends.  And I also like what was said earlier that there wouldn't be as many misspellings and grammar mistakes if it was fake. I'm not saying you should look at the world through rose colored glasses but maybe not with not so much of a Touch of Grey.

And whatever you decide to think, have great fun with your makeup!

I also resort reviews to read the most negative. I also sort by "most helpful." Always be mindful of the date when reading reviews. BT is also a great way to solicit additional opinions.

anaa

I would be interested to hear how you come up with the 70% calculation.  Any review I have submitted, positive negative or neutral has shown up on the review section.  I am very confident that the reviews are accurate and not posted by the manufacturer or distributor and quite frankly am offended at the suggestion.  Why bother to post an honest opinion?  I would suggest you post something and see what happens, don't make accusations without basis.  Thoughts?  I am surprised that Sephora's policy is that you can return any product you buy without  a valid reason, even if you've used it, and I think the return policy is pretty liberal.  Click on my name and let me know if you think the review is "fake".

tamelee

Hm, I just went and checked a recent negative feedback, and it's not there, though other positive reviews posted after mine are. 

ran8

That's going to happen on plenty of sites.  I've found a lot of the reviews here to be fairly decent and accurate for the most part. Could not say the same for some other sites.

The reviews have saved me from trying a lot of items when I found other reviews that had similar concerns/issue said it doesn't work or caused problems.  Also found a few products that I have looked into further and loved because of them too. 

Be picky reading through the reviews.  Have a critical eye about what you read. For example, I always skip to the next review if someone praises a skin care product only by the fragrance.  In that situation, effectiveness > smell.  What concerns do you have about a product?  Which reviews address these concerns?

Put it this way, everyone has a different method for reviewing a product.  And I do agree that some reviews seem overrated (some people love them and feel strongly enough for the 5 star rating) or that they were not using the product correctly.  Again, I've seen people who've complained about professors all semester and then give them higher ratings in evaluations.  That one always baffled me. 

Then again, I tend not to blindly buy a product unless I've tried it for myself first. The return policy is great.  I really don't like to return things but I'm glad it is an option when needed.

kalex

I've never gotten the impression that any reviews on this site are fake.  Some reviews you have to take with a grain of salt of course (and others you have to dismiss completely.)  I'm much more likely to believe the product feedback on here versus the recommendations in beauty magazines though.

oliviabt

@melk9- Sephora does encourage staff members to review products they legitimately use and love on Sephora.com and have flagged the nicknames as "Sephora Staff." The company definitely does not condone writing fake reviews and will remove any that appear to be.

XO,
Olivia
katie1724

I actually don't think they're fake -- if they were writt...

[ Edited ]

I actually don't think they're fake -- if they were written by the product company or Sephora, they would (likely) contain proper spelling, punctuation and a better use of grammar than the majority of reviews have. Seriously, though -- I think four stars is pretty average on this site -- it's a "good" rating. While I try to be discerning in my reviews, I find myself giving four star reviews to things I don't absolutely love, but "liked" well enough. I will give lower-star reviews to products only if I did not like them. As is the case most of the time, I will like a product without being in love with it -- meaning I would rate it higher than average, but less than excellent -- i.e., four stars.

Also -- people often complain that their negative reviews are deleted, but it is my understanding that Sephora only deletes reviews (both positive and negative) that have nothing to do with the product itself. For instance, a one-star review that reads "I didn't even want to try this because it's too expensive for me" might be deleted, whereas a substantive one-star "poor" review that acutally cites negative points will remain.

: )

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 132 replies
  • 278 hearts
  • 93 in conversation
    • oliviabt
    • keelybt
    • kalex
    • runy
    • katie1724