melk9

Fake reviews.

I get the feeling that 70% of the reviews on Sephora.com are fake-- posted by the product distrubutor. I always click on the user and see if they've reviewed other items or not.. I mean, almost every product has at least 4 stars total. That seems a little unlikely. It bothers me.... Luckily they have a great return policy so you can try things out yourself. Thoughts?

tomax

Re: Fake reviews.

I checked out the reviews for the Lashfood Lash Transformation System that desertbr4t brought up a while back and just had to laugh. How anyone can claim these are monitored is beyond me. There are currently 36 reviews for this product and I looked at each of them to see whether or not I think they are fake. (Of course, this is only my opinion and it's subjective. The reviews I counted as fake were ones 1) that had 5 stars, 2) whose reviewers had no other products or only products from the same brand reviewed, and 3) whose reviewers had an "active since" date that was the same date they reviewed the product. The first problem is that TEN reviews are the exact same review from the same screen name. (Incidentally, their only other review was for a product from the same brand, and that review was the exact same wording as the ten reviews for this product--you can be pretty certain this is a shill.) That alone accounts for 28% of the total number of reviews. There were five other reviews that I thought looked fake. In the end, only 58% of the reviews look legitimate. The average rating of those is 2.86--a far cry from the four stars it looks like this product has. (Just getting rid of the ten reviews that are all the same takes the average rating down to 3.2 stars.) If you look at the 36 reviews, it appears that 52% of reviewers gave the product 5 stars. Looking at the reviews I think are genuine, only 19% are 5-star reviews. It's more than a little misleading.

I searched for "fake reviews" here on BT because I was wondering if anyone else is noticing as many of these as I am. Recently, I was looking at the reviews for the products from the brand Hum, because I saw them in New Arrivals. There were hardly any reviews since the brand is new to Sephora but, at that time, nearly all of them were fake--a number of different "reviewers" were active since 5/22/14 and their only reviews were posted on, you guessed it, 5/22/14. One of them can't even be counted as a review--naturally it gives a 5 star rating, but the "review" consists of this person saying how excited they are that Sephora has this brand now because they've heard great things about it. A suspicious number of these reviews mention how cute the packaging is and how clever the names of the products are. Now it appears there are some legit reviews but all the fake ones are still there, despite the fact that I contacted Customer Service about it twice. Both times I got the canned email that said someone would look into my issue, but I never heard from anyone. 

Clearly, the current method monitoring of reviews is ineffective. It is an enormous disservice to Sephora's customer base to allow fake reviews to remain on the site. In doing so, Sephora is sending the message that it's acceptable to deceive their customers through this unscrupulous method of promoting products. I don't understand why Sephora would so egregiously betray the trust of this community that they have seemingly gone to some lengths to establish. Sephora might say there's no way to prove any of these reviews are fake but, according to some of this discussion, they subjectively delete (or don't even approve) negative reviews that come within 50 feet of violating their guidelines. It really wouldn't hurt to apply this same subjectivity in approving gushing 5-star reviews.

laurabt

Hi tomax,

Thanks for your feedback on our Ratings & Reviews!  Obviously we are not able to monitor every single review that comes into our site.  But we do review a lot of both positive and negative reviews each & every day!  We also have a system that automatically rejects reviews that are not in compliance with our guidelines to help us with the huge work load. 

I went and checked out all the 'suspicious' reviews for the Lashfood Lash Transformation System, and each of those clients has an extensive purchase history of many products as well as the product they are reviewing.  Many of them are VIB or Rouge clients who shop with us frequently. So, although they may have only written one glowing review, there is no reason for us to suspect that those reviews are fake.  As long as they are following the guidelines, both positive and negative reviews will remain posted.  I did remove the duplicate reviews from the same user.  This happens occasionally due to user error, so thank you for pointing that out!

:smileyhappy: -Laura

sp2001

(0) Hearts

I kept writing reviews and not having them show up and I think I tracked the problem to when I try to 'answer a question' but then can't find a question I can't answer so I hit the back button and my review disappears. Seems like a technical error (but one that I can't help but keep repeating)

LariTheLoud

(0) Hearts

I don't think there are fake reviews, but I've had issues where my review did not got posted. I simply rewrote it in those cases (and it said basically the same thing). Pretty much every time, the second review would go through immediately.

I'm not sure if there is someone out there rejecting my initial review or if it's a glitch in the system. Hard to say.

newandaddicted

(0) Hearts

What I don't understand is why they don't want the WHOLE truth.  I understand they want people to buy things but if they aren't allowing the whole truth as long as it falls within the guidelines, seems they are setting themselves up to lose money as people will return more items.

I noticed that a Mod stated you shouldn't say you hate the packaging of the product.  Why?  Sometimes the packaging is a hinderance to using a product.  It is one of the reason I have NEVER bought OCC lip tars.  The packaging isn't conducive to easy on the fly use (for me) which is what I'm looking for and what if the packaging leaks I'd want to know those things before purchase.  

I also disagree with attaching reviews to purchases only.  Sometimes my family who aids my addiction will buy me items so it doesn't show I bought it.  Or I get a sample and the product was horrible (I'm looking at you Becca foundation! *shakes fist*) or the product was great (kat von d foundation *blows kisses*).

I don't do a lot of reviews, but I have trusted Sephora's reviews in the past.  Now maybe I should come here and ask the beauty talk family? or do a search on BT.   

Panda168

I have posted negative, neutral and positive reviews. I haven't noticed any of my negative reviews being deleted, but oddly enough my most recent review was deleted. I left 3 stars for the TARTE Fresh Eyes Maracuja Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover Wipes because they're dry especially for eye wipes. I just checked and it was deleted. It is weird because my review wasn't horrible. It just wasn't fantastic. 

RandeeBT

(0) Hearts

Hi Panda168,

I am going to send you a private message with more information regarding your recent review.

Best,
Randee
Panda168

(0) Hearts

I appreciated your msg Randee and replied :smileyhappy:.

starsandbucks

(0) Hearts

I was just writing a review for the MUFE 158 double-ended sculpting/powder brush. I mentioned in the review that I've been using it for the Hourglass Ambient powder palette because its such a small palette and this brush(es) is a really conveninet size to work with in that palette. And even though I think this information is useful and could potentially lead more people to buying the brush, I ended up taking it out of the review because often whenever I've mentioned another product, even in a helpful way or the most peripheral way to make a point (especially brushes because you sorta have to!) my reviews never get posted. In a case like this, would my review have been posted?

Also, I have twice tried to post pictures - once in a review and once in a Q&A (I was answering an 'A') but the images never showed up. Is there a trick beyond simply uploading them?

kristallovesdogs

I don't believe the reviews are fake.  But, it is common practice for Sephora to remove low star reviews.  This has happened to me over a dozen times in the last 4 years and I'm always told it was for breaking the rules in my review.  But I know for a fact my reviews adhered perfectly to the review guidelines.  Sometimes, reviews will be up for a week, and get lots of helpful votes, before suddenly disappearing.  I remember specifically a couple years ago, when Fresh first introduced their sugar lip scrub in the pot, there were tons of negative reviews, and every few days the negative reviews would disappear.  People were getting angry and reviewing the lip scrub again and again, only to have their reviews deleted so that the new product would have a higher rating for its release.

All that being said, I still really enjoy the review feature.  I review about half of the items I purchase, and I rely on other reviews to help me in my purchase selections.  I pay attention to the reviews that are below 3 stars because I like to see what bothered people with the product. 

DiVWA

If this hasn't been mentioned/suggested yet, why can't Sephora have a "verified purchase" statement shown next to the review, like how Amazon does? This gives more credibility to reviews that are done by true purchasers.

notcreative

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Why can't the verified purchase work on all sites? Every time I review a product for Ulta or Beauty (online), I never get the verified purchase logo. I only review products I bought from them and am always logged in when I do my review. It makes me mad, because my reviews look less credible despite the fact that I bought them!

As that happens to me, I cannot ensure it is not happening to others. Meaning anyone and everyone could have purchased there. I will never know.  

ilovebears

(0) Hearts

I think this is a good idea.  And if the product was ordered online, the "this person actually purchased the product" badge should only be shown if the person reviews the product after Sephora confirms delivery.

mychoi

Or only receive the link to review after delivery is confirmed.

ilovebears

(0) Hearts

You don't have to receive the link to review in order to review the product! :smileyhappy:

warriorwitch

Problem being that would prevent reviews by people who received items as gifts, bought from the brand site, or got on item out of a TSB/trade.

YouAreAlways

(0) Hearts

I was just thinking that. Maybe half the items I have reviewed on sephora I have purchased else ware. 

FrizzyKab

Oh, and regarding deleting reviews, I don't curse or use profanity and never referenced other products. Just a straight up honest opinion about my experience that got deleted twice! No coincidence there! 

FrizzyKab

(0) Hearts

Sephora totally does delete negative reviews. I never believed it until it started happening to me! 

HariP

Yeah happened to me too. I thought I didn't hit post. Gave a really bad review for the REN glycolactic mask and boom it was deleted!
REN mask is a waste of money, its totally overhyped by the way!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 110 replies
  • 248 hearts
  • 80 in conversation
    • oliviabt
    • keelybt
    • kalex
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • connieconcon