Fake reviews.

I get the feeling that 70% of the reviews on Sephora.com are fake-- posted by the product distrubutor. I always click on the user and see if they've reviewed other items or not.. I mean, almost every product has at least 4 stars total. That seems a little unlikely. It bothers me.... Luckily they have a great return policy so you can try things out yourself. Thoughts?

Re: Fake reviews.

(0) Hearts

I know I've struggled to get a few reviews through - although to be fair, one was 4*. The others were 2-3*. I save my reviews and will continue editing/resubmitting until they go through (this is a bit of a sticking point for me: I get really irritated when sites seem like they might be impacting the review system so I'll take the time to make sure mine can go through). I didn't actually know people had problems with reviews being removed.. I don't think any of mine have to date, but apparently I'll have to keep an eye on that.

That said, I know that I typically leave higher reviews purely for the fact that I don't buy that much, and when I do I've done as much research as I can which means I'm rarely dissatisfied with a product, with a few exceptions. 

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Yes, I'm quite sure a lot are fake as peeps have said.  I also believe that Sephora will remove some negative reviews.

I order reviews from low to high stars.  Then I look for trends in the negative reviews.  If there are any multiple occurrences of something, for example,"too oily," "keeps slipping," or "doesn't last," I figure those are a consistent complaint and I need to determine from there if I will buy it or not.

I don't like reviews where, for example, they say, "it makes me break out," and other comments that are so individualized. It's useless for other people for whom the product would not cause them to break out.  If that person who made the break out comment stated their observations of the color, smell, texture, lasting power, etc., in addition to it, I actually rate that review as useful.

With positive reviews, I actually look for detailed observations, tips and other useful pieces of advice.  Those are the reviews that I believe more than just a general thumbs up.

I exclusively read Rouge reviews and also order from low to high reviews. That being said, I do my own research and don't really rely on Sephora reviews. Most people probably aren't as interested or willing to but in that amount of time into researching products, so I guess the fake reviews work in the aggregate. 

[ Edited ]

Between planted reviews by manufacturers/PR teams and the fact that Sephora OFTEN won't even post honest negative reviews, going by the reviews on this site is a total crapshoot. It's extremely deceptive when reviews that follow the guidelines, but are not glowingly positive are either not posted or taken down, which is a frequent practice by Sephora. Unfortunately you'll hear this complaint quite often around here. 

Yep. I tried 3 times with that Derek Lam discovery set. The third finally got through, but was taken down a couple of days later. 

[ Edited ]

It is seriously disgusting that Sephora does this... So dishonest and manipulative Smiley Sad

I noticed on the new paint it pink set that there are a lot of the same reviews just using different usernames. They all mention the same YouTube channel.

[ Edited ]

You're right.  That's so messed up!  Those reviews are just there to promote that person's YT page.  So dumb.

It frustrates me to no end to see reviews that say things like "I can't wait to get this, it looks awesome! or Does anyone know when these will be in stock?".

I wish Sephora would delete those 'reviews' and not ones that rate a product low.

(0) Hearts

I totally agree on both counts.  I don't even bother reading reviews on Sephora's product pages because they always delete negative reviews I've written.

(0) Hearts

I tend to rate high, mainly because I choose so carefully.  I read review and if an item is new and many snark it...then some come around later to say hey it's not that bad and the stars go up and if it is reasonable price (usu. like a small price sample of a newbie out), I will purchase it. I have found myself liking the product every time. I tend to look at the positives and not the negatives.  Also purchase full sizes of the free VIB gifts I have received and know I like. Some a bit high price for me, maybe not high for others though.  

(0) Hearts

click on the persons name-if you see the review is the only one they have ever made or all the products they have reviewed are from the same brand, odds are they are paid for posting reviews and I do not put any value on them. I wait till I see reviews from people who have reviewed a variety of products and brands before I believe any of them.

This is where The Rouge Institute comes in. Honest reviews from real consumers........ Smiley Wink   just saying.....

(0) Hearts

What is the Rouge Institute? I am intrigued. 

(0) Hearts

The Rouge Institute was a site that CalamityJane85 put together a while back where many users here used as another platform to share opinions, reviews, and thoughts of products, brands, and launches in the beauty industry and was separate from Sephora.

Unfortunately the Rouge Institute site is no longer active.

(0) Hearts

I know I owe your lovely site some reviews.  Came home from vacation so sick!  Anyway, I will wrap those up over the weekend.  I have a Zoya polish, but I have not used it yet.  I am going to take the time to actually use it, so I can review that one as well.

During the week the Stila Mile High Lashes mascara was released, it had a 5 star overall rating. About a dozen of glowing "I LOVE IT!" reviews, not too detailed, not too vague...all from users with only a single review - the Stila mascara. All those users had signed up the day they reviewed the product. Weird? Yes. Fake reviews? Perhaps.

I purchased the mascara thinking it must be a miracle product, and thought the product was rather "blah". Over time once I went back to check on ratings there were other people who echoed my questions as to why the product received such glowing reviews.

Interesting...

(0) Hearts

I'm bad about writing reviews (maybe since writing has been such a large part of my career, ironically enough); I've only written a few.  However, I have read gazillions of them, and for the most part, though I'm not looking directly for fakes, I think it's fairly easy to tell if one is genuine from the voice and personality exhibited by the writer. Some people do suffer from "premature evaluation"; i.e., reviewing the product before using it, which isn't very helpful. verifying purchases from Sephora would be a good thing, but I would hope that posts on products carried by Sephoora but purchased elsewhere would be ok. For example, I buy tons of Urban Decay from Sephora, but also directly from ud.com. Can't I write about a concealer or palette and have it still be helpful to Sephora customers? I think so. i'm just thankful for all the (mostly) women who take the time necessary to craft detailed, thoughtful, and helpful reviews, and whose love of products shines through their reviews.

I agree that consumers should be able to review products on Sephora's web site if they purchased it elsewhere, as long as it's the exact same product and the review doesn't include comments not regarding to the product. A lot of reviews include comments not directly related to the product, which is not helpful. See my comments below regarding two specific examples of Lime Crime and Louboutin. 

(0) Hearts

Totally agree with you! I love the things that I buy at Sephora and think my love of the products can be seen in my reviews. I have been very lucky that I have only gotten one thing in three years that I did not love! I'm still angry that the cologne sampler I bought a couple weeks ago is still advertised as a spray on and they are not! I love reading reviews from everyone on Sephora and when buying something new I always depend on that! Lol. All the people on BT are amazing people and I love your reviews. Happy shopping! Dan 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments