Fake reviews.

I get the feeling that 70% of the reviews on Sephora.com are fake-- posted by the product distrubutor. I always click on the user and see if they've reviewed other items or not.. I mean, almost every product has at least 4 stars total. That seems a little unlikely. It bothers me.... Luckily they have a great return policy so you can try things out yourself. Thoughts?

Re: Fake reviews.

This is where The Rouge Institute comes in. Honest reviews from real consumers........ :smileywink:   just saying.....

(0) Hearts

I know I owe your lovely site some reviews.  Came home from vacation so sick!  Anyway, I will wrap those up over the weekend.  I have a Zoya polish, but I have not used it yet.  I am going to take the time to actually use it, so I can review that one as well.

During the week the Stila Mile High Lashes mascara was released, it had a 5 star overall rating. About a dozen of glowing "I LOVE IT!" reviews, not too detailed, not too vague...all from users with only a single review - the Stila mascara. All those users had signed up the day they reviewed the product. Weird? Yes. Fake reviews? Perhaps.

I purchased the mascara thinking it must be a miracle product, and thought the product was rather "blah". Over time once I went back to check on ratings there were other people who echoed my questions as to why the product received such glowing reviews.

Interesting...

(0) Hearts

I'm bad about writing reviews (maybe since writing has been such a large part of my career, ironically enough); I've only written a few.  However, I have read gazillions of them, and for the most part, though I'm not looking directly for fakes, I think it's fairly easy to tell if one is genuine from the voice and personality exhibited by the writer. Some people do suffer from "premature evaluation"; i.e., reviewing the product before using it, which isn't very helpful. verifying purchases from Sephora would be a good thing, but I would hope that posts on products carried by Sephoora but purchased elsewhere would be ok. For example, I buy tons of Urban Decay from Sephora, but also directly from ud.com. Can't I write about a concealer or palette and have it still be helpful to Sephora customers? I think so. i'm just thankful for all the (mostly) women who take the time necessary to craft detailed, thoughtful, and helpful reviews, and whose love of products shines through their reviews.

I agree that consumers should be able to review products on Sephora's web site if they purchased it elsewhere, as long as it's the exact same product and the review doesn't include comments not regarding to the product. A lot of reviews include comments not directly related to the product, which is not helpful. See my comments below regarding two specific examples of Lime Crime and Louboutin. 

(0) Hearts

Totally agree with you! I love the things that I buy at Sephora and think my love of the products can be seen in my reviews. I have been very lucky that I have only gotten one thing in three years that I did not love! I'm still angry that the cologne sampler I bought a couple weeks ago is still advertised as a spray on and they are not! I love reading reviews from everyone on Sephora and when buying something new I always depend on that! Lol. All the people on BT are amazing people and I love your reviews. Happy shopping! Dan 

I do like and love the majority of products I get from Sephora, but there are always going to be duds with every line. Even some of my favorite product lines make a few products that just don't work for me. 

I like reading people's feedback and opinions on BT. But I do understand that we all aren't going to love the same things. And some products that work well for others won't work at all for me. Opinions are purely subjective. So I take all of them with a grain of sale. 

(0) Hearts

I agree! And especially with reviews and the Q&A on sephora, if it's a bad review for one product, frequently that reviewer will point to a better (often more expensive) product also sold by sephora. It's definitely not a loss for sephora, only the specific brand/product. *cough cough* hello gorgeous...

(0) Hearts

Definitely not a loss for Sephora, Jessica. Is Hello Gorgeous something from Benefit? 

(0) Hearts

Haha yes, when they had a thread on BT about their new gel pen eyeliner

(0) Hearts

Oh duh. That one. LOL It was awful.

I wrote a review for the MUFE pro shadows the other day, and tried to provide details that I'd want to get from a review - Amazon is the worst place ever when it comes to getting reviews that are helpful, when they actually are decent it kind of feels like you just found the holy grail or where the ark of the covenant has been hidden. Sometimes you have to wonder what kind of use a person has been putting their bra through for an underwire to break, or what exactly they thought the purpose of shapewear would be - of course it's going to be really tight when you're wearing it, how else is it supposed to stay in place or pull things in, not to mention if you have super long nails you want to be careful and not just yank it up like a $4 drugstore package of pantyhose you only need to wear for one day!

With the shadows, the fact that I was able to go home with them and when I used them on a different day I didn't have any trouble recreating various looks that the MUA did in-store was just as important to me as the color payoff, how long-wearing they are, etc. So I put all that in the review, along with my experiences that iridescent and shimmer finishes need primer while matte shades have been a little less finicky on my oily-sometimes lids. Maybe it won't be useful to everyone - not everyone will be after the same qualities in products or have the same skin characteristics, and I'm sure that those who give "too expensive/excited to find this in stock" reviews will consider mine "too wordy".

(0) Hearts

The whole "why is the shape wear/control top so tight" crowd always makes me wonder. o_O

I appreciate detailed reviews, and also try to mention what I would want to know if I was considering the product. It is a bit sad when you have to scroll through three or four pages of reviews to get two that actually say anything of substance. And for the love of heaven, mention which shade/variety/edition you are reviewing!!!! (Can you see my review pet peeve?) :smileywink:

(0) Hearts

I never read the reviews on Amazon's web site, GennX. I do read a few for giggles, but I don't for actual information usually. 

Reviews are subjective. Essentially we are just providing our opinion and experience of a product. What works well for some person might not work at all for someone else. I take all reviews with a grain of salt for that reason. I like that on Sephora's reviews you can see the consumer's age range, location, eye/hair/skin color and skin type, depending on the review type and if the person provides it. 

For example, if someone loves a product and they have dry skin, there is a chance it won't work well on my oily skin. So I have to take that into consideration. 

I love detailed reviews. Mine are often multiple paragraphs. I also really love reviews with photos, although the way a product looks on one person can vary greatly due to lighting and a variety of other things like how pigmented their lips are when it comes to lipsticks and glosses. 

I try to read both positive AND negative reviews. I like seeing the pros and cons of a product. I generally ignore the completely raving reviews because I tend to think they are more biased. A review that says only how much someone loves a product doesn't really tell me anything about how it performs. And even products I REALLY love often have at least some aspect that is less appealing to me. I try to avoid reviews the mention the cost of the product because it doesn't really affect how the product performs, in my opinion. 

Not necessary fake reviews, but there are often reviews that have nothing to do with the actual product. When Lime Crime had a brief stint at Sephora, there were a LOT of reviews from people saying they were either super excited that LC was at Sephora or people who were very upset Sephora would carry LC. I've also seen silly reviews for the Christian Louboutin nail polishes when they first launched. People complaining about the price were the most common reviews. I think the best thing we can do when we see reviews that look fishy is to mark them as not helpful and reach out to a mod. 

(0) Hearts

I just for one minute could never believe that Saphora would put up fake reviews! I have reviewed lots of products and every one of them is still up. As far as writing reviews for products we did not buy that's crazy! Me and my wife have accounts at Sephora and she buys me things all the time under her account and I review them under mine! I never saw a problem with that. Why would someone review a product they did not use or buy? I always read reviews before I purchase anything and will continue to do so!  Thanks for bringing this to all of us to think about but I just can't see why Sephora would need to put up fake reviews or there vendors. Merry Christmas to all of you on BT,. 

(0) Hearts

Someone's "terrible" review of the NARS vault was deleted by Sephora. They had to re-write their review.

Wow, I just realized one of my negative reviews is gone. And when I try to repost it, Sephora tells me it's a duplicate review. WTH???

I agree completely and it irritates the crap out of me. I take the time to write an honest review. In the past year I've written 20-30 reviews. EVERY review that was 1 or 2 stars has been deleted. I've just stopped writing reviews and wasting my time because clearly Sephora censors them.

Every time I write a one star review, it posts for a little bit and then Sephora deletes it. I assume the majority of reviews on here are fake. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments