cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

What’s New Wednesday: Project Chimps

Kat Von D Project Chimps Everlasting Liquid Lipstick

Being a lifelong animal advocate, Kat Von D ensures all of her products are never tested on animals. Now, you can take a stand and join KVD in her efforts to put a stop to animal cruelty. With every limited-edition lipstick sold, 20 percent of the proceeds will go to Project Chimps–a nonprofit organization that works to stop the use of chimps in biomedical research, and retire them to a life of freedom and sanctuary. Featuring adorable collectible packaging and an exclusive warm brick shade to suit all skintones (called Project Chimps, of course), you can swipe on a flattering, long-lasting lipstick while helping support a great cause. PS… Tell your animal-loving friends! –Tracy J.

Which causes are you passionate about? Show & Tell!

Re: What’s New Wednesday: Project Chimps

P.S. I support a number of good causes - most of them are either animal related since I am an animal lover or cancer related since I am a survivor. However, I am also a sucker for products like this that donate a portion of the price to a good cause. I just couldn't resist her special edition liner when it was available and am still kicking myself for not buying a second one before it was gone. If this lippie is as much a hit as the liner was, I might go back and buy stock in these before they're all gone.

Whenever I say I work in a veterinary hospital that specializes in exotic animals, people frequently imagine that I work at the local zoo or something similar. Actually, my grandfather is the worst offender about this. We have tried to explain the difference but he still imagines I spend the week doing things like lion taming one day and the next am doing working with reptiles that would have given Steve Erwin something to say "Crikey!" about, then the next day am playing the Jane Goodall role and so on. (As much as zoos and similar can get a bad rep for a number of reasons, I do have to say that that would be absolutely amazing to get to work with all of those different animals every day!) I do get to work with some pretty incredible animals but its not anywhere close to what my Grandpa pictures my job to be. Instead it's closer to reptiles people keep as pets, birds of various sizes and we still see all the regular, every day animals as well like cats, dogs, rabbits, and more as well.

I have to laugh though because I never would have tried KVD's makeup in the first place except that the name of one of the Everlasting Lipsticks caught my eye. Several of our patients share the same name including one that I probably would consider one of my favorites...that is, IF I had favorites! *wink*wink* (shhhh! Don't tell anyone!) The Project Chimps color will most likely be joining it as a work look as soon as it arrives in the mail. I've heard so many good things about it and I usually can't pull off reds without it looking ridiculous and clownish against my pale skin. I've heard so many good things about this one though, and that it supposedly works even for ghostly pale people like myself. I can't wait for it to get here!

International Medical Corps and Doctors Without Borders (first responders; often the only responders in war zones. Education (I even wrote a book about it).  And a local homeless shelter run by a saint.

Thats amazing! I love chimps as well

Anonymous Insider

When I was young I loved watching National Geographic shows with Jane Goodall.

Several years ago I went to see Dr. Jane Goodall speak about her life and love with the chimpanzees . It really touched my heart listening to her speak . I remember her voice being so soft (except when she imitated the chimps) and filled the auditorium with love , passion and kindness.

I believe the planet, humans and animals alike are blessed to have this women in the world.

Jane-Goodall-Facts1.jpg

There are always people who want to argue with me when I reveal that I donate a part of every paycheck to Planned Parenthood. Before anybody says that this really isn't a cause, let me finish.

PP provides free or low-cost services to millions of people every year such as:

-To quickly put down the obvious elephant in the room, abortions only make up 3% of pregnancy services provided by PP (2013). It's important that women have safe access to this service if they genuinely feel like they are unable or not ready to birth a child. There have been too many times that women have been barred from accessing PP, so they had to rely on dangerous methods that left them dead or permanently injured. Yes, I'm pro-choice, but to me, that's not why PP is so important to me.

-Health care access and prenatal exams for women who wish to continue on with their pregnancy as well as education and counseling to prepare themselves for motherhood.

-Factual, unbiased sexual education. Some of the things you learn at PP, even most adults have never heard of. I challenge you to take some time and ask for literature, it will blow your mind even if you already thought you knew your own anatomy. Education is a powerful thing that allows teens and young adults to grow and make better decisions about maintaining a healthy and safer sexual lifestyle. It's important to allow people the right to education about their bodies if that is what they want.

-Contraceptives to teens and adults who cannot afford to practice safer sex. It has greatly reduced the rate of teen pregnancy and unwanted pregnancies by those who do not feel fit to have a child, whether it's emotionally, physically, or financially. In addition, this greatly reduces the risk of contracting and spreading STIs.

-Breast exams, pap smears, STI testing, and other health exams to people who heavily rely on these services provided by PP due to the fact that they do not have health insurance or are under-insured.

-Counseling for rape survivors, gender transition, sexual identity, adoption services, as well on advice on how to seek treatment for serious conditions such as cancer, HIV/AIDS, etc.

There is so much debate and legislation trying to defund Planned Parenthood because of a certain 3% of pregnancy services (pregnancy services, not total services!) To me, Planned Parenthood isn't just for women, but also for men and teenagers of Cis/het or LGBTQ identity. To me, PP has become a cause because there are so many people trying to take away the right to safe, affordable healthcare and education. I'm passionate about PP because they have provided millions each year with the tools to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Health care has become a commodity that so few can afford even with the Health Care Reform Act, many people find themselves under-insured that they still cannot afford to go to the doctor. I choose to donate a part of my paychecks to this cause so that others can continue to access this kind of health care, but also receive the education that will help protect themselves.

Recycling.  It is shocking how many people are so lazy, it's too much to ask them to give a quick rinse to a jug or can and place it in a separate bin vs just tossing it in the trash.  I literally take plastic bottles out of the trash at work and it's driving me insane.

*goes to pour glass of wine*

I'm big into Rescue too.  I was livid when an acquaintance of mine paid 2 grand for a French bulldog puppy last year.  I still can't look at her without wanting to verbally rip her one.  Then another friend paid $800 for a bulldog/pug mix.  She was afraid to tell me because she knew she'd get a lecture on buying a "designer" mutt.  She wasn't wrong.

I love animals and I really hope one day companies stop testing on them or some sort of law is implemented. No beauty is worth the pain and suffering of another creature. I love supporting causes especially beauty related, so ofcourse I purchased project chimps as soon as it went live. I really enjoyed this shade. And it was even more perfect chatting with the lady herself yesterday! 

I love chimps! Animals in general.

In the past I have been involved with MINA (mine removal) in Europe and Asia. The US sponsored the bomb dogs. Also volunteered at a children's orphanage while living in Tanzania.  This was very hectic but loads of fun and very easy to learn Swahili with the children. 

At home I support the Poodle Rescue with donations and also adopted my boy standard poodle last September.  Despite being abused and abandoned by two different families (so sad for my baby) he thrives in my home with my husband, his two poodle sisters and myself.  He is such a sweet big baby and doesn't fuss for anything. The girls are spoiled rotten so they know when to suck up.  Lol!

As a Master Gardener for my district we also tend to city gardens and a Center for Adults with special needs.  They help us plant the seeds and also harvest.  They eat the produce we grow. They get most excited about the strawberries. 

I was so excited to see KVD releasing Project Chimps and I bought one as soon as I saw it up on the website. Beautiful cause, beautiful formula, beautiful color. No questions about it.

I too am passionate about animals. I volunteer for an animal rescue and have helped out by fostering dogs/puppies, doing data entry work, helping out at adoption events, and by performing home visits to help potential adopters get approved. It can be a lot of work but at the end of every day I know that I've made a difference for these animals and that feeling is irreplaceable. For the longest time I thought it would be too emotionally draining to constantly hear stories of animals being abandoned and/or abused. I had to find a rescue that focused more on the positive traits of the animals than their unfortunate backgrounds so I wouldn't end up bawling every time I read their website 🙂 They're still completely candid about the entire history of the animal, but they just frame their descriptions in a very positive, hopeful light.

I'm also an animal lover, and as the owner of a beagle who is the love of my life and has a HUGE personality, I regularly support the Beagle Freedom Project, which aims to end animal testing in general, but specifically on beautiful beagles. I only shop cruelty free and I love Kat Von D's stance on ending animal testing and her quest to reformulate her products so that her line is vegan as well! Sephora, I love giving you money for beauty products that are cruelty free 🙂

@sabrinas @ShopgirlM@itscarin @Titian06 thank you all for sharing! Looks like there's a variety of passion here on BT 🙂 

@Titian06 that's a crazy story, way to have your priorities straight!

I ordered the Project Chimp lipstick yesterday.

I vaguely recall as a very young child going to work with my dad and seeing chimps.  My dad worked in a biomed research lab, but I don't know if he/his office used the chimps (he worked in accoustics/noise) or another office...or maybe I don't remember correctly.  I never saw the chimps after that visit (not that I went frequently).  I know that org no longer use animals for testing.

I also interviewed for a job where they used animals for testing (I didn't know until I interviewed).  The interviewer asked if I had any pets and I said I had a cat, which is when he said I probably wouldn't want to work there because they test on animals.  We finished the interview, but I asked not to be considered for the position.  He was very understanding!

Thanks for letting me rattle on!  A couple of memories I had completely forgotten about...

ACLU

I'm passionate about your heart!! I raise money for the Children's Heart Foundation and the American Heart Assn because my daughter was born with  a congenital heart defect. She has a bicuspid aortic valve that she will have to have replaced, but she's doing great and I'm so proud of her (she's 12). 

I have a soft spot in my heart for kids born with defects, heart or otherwise. ❤️

I am also an animal lover and am seriously obsessed with them.  I cannot handle those commercials with abused animals and whatnot, it makes me very uncomfortable and teary eyed!  I wish that I could save all helpless animals and give them all loving hugs every day!

I plan to get this lipstick soon! I just hope it doesn't sell out within the next few weeks.

16 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 65 Hearts Given
  • 15 Contributors
Photos1
  • Jane-Goodall-Facts1.jpg
testing