Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

New BT Feature: Rich Linking

Raise your hand if you nerd out on website updates (Beautytester, I'm looking at you ;)). Well today I have a very cool BeautyTalk update to share with you: Rich linking!

Rich linking is just a techy term for allowing clickable images in posts. So now, when you post a product link in a thread, not only will an image of that product show up in your post, but other users can click on that image to be taken to the product page! Revolutionary, right? (that was a joke, I realize this is not revolutionary, but hey we're trying, and you have to admit, it's a pretty cool new feature.) 🙂

Here's how it works:

1. When you are starting or replying to a conversation, and you'd like to call out a product, go to the product page and copy the link from your browser.

lovemarcppage.jpg

2. Paste the product link into the conversation you are starting. After you paste the link, an image of the product will pop up below the post. If you'd just like to include the link without the product image, click the little "x" to the top right of the image to get rid of it.

postpage.jpg

3. If you'd like to keep the image but lose the link (the image will still be clickable in your post), delete the link in your post after the image has appeared. This is how I do it, because personally I don't think links are that pretty, but this step is entirely based on your preference.

deletelinkinpost.jpg

4. When you click "Post" the image will show up in your post!

imagepost.jpg

5. To get to the product page, just click on the image or the product name.

imagepostclick.jpg

6. If you'd like to post more than one product, you can do that too. Just follow the same steps, copying and pasting the product links into your post. They will show up in a product carousel at the bottom of your post.

carousel.jpg

(See what I meant about the not-so-pretty links? :))

Note, this feature only works for products (trying to post a link to see an image won't work...for now), but that's pretty much all we talk about anyway, right?

I really hope you guys enjoy this new feature - this is the first version we're rolling out, so there will be updates to it in the future, per the usual.

Let the enabling begin! 🙂

Re: New BT Feature: Rich Linking

Hi ladies! It took a little bit but it looks like it is working again. Please clear your cache and try using links again. Thank you for reporting the issue!

Hi Ladies,

I reported the issue with rich linking a couple weeks ago, ladies. I hope they have it fixed soon because I really miss it as well 😞

<3, Randee

Good.  I am glad it is not just me.  It worked a while ago, so I knew I was doing it right.  I agree that they should bring it back.  

I miss it too. I've noticed it the past couple days when I've tried to link products. Where'd you go, rich linking? 😞

Bring it baaaaaaaaaack!!

Yeah, it hasn't been working at all. Sad. 

oh good, I thought it was just me and my computer

Yeah, they changed something, and for some reason it hasn't worked for me for a little while. I kind of miss it, not gonna lie.

It used to work, but stopped recently. Not sure why.

I think I did this a few times.  Now, I cannot get pictures to show up at all.  It seems like everyone else can do it, so I wonder if it is a setting in my account or if I need a serious touch up on my computer skills.

Thanks!  This was easy and it works well.  🙂

@candacebt. I'm using Firefox.

@vanillammm - Yes, I caught that in testing and it bummed me out too, but that's one of those upgrades that won't be fixed immediately (this is only the first iteration, there are more to come). 

@lmi82 - What browser are you using. 

@ChicDabbler - The posting by sku color is another known issue that is on the list. Unfortunately the links pull by product page ID and not sku ID at the moment, so working on that too! But the linking to a picture functionality still works if you want to post an image of a specific color, and it won't save to your profile pic images. 🙂

this is so cool!!!

Wow this is great! This is really going to be useful 🙂 Thanks a lot!

Hmmmm, maybe it's not working for specific browsers. I'm using latest version of Chrome and have recently cleared my cache/cookies. Other than that I've no idea, it's still a bit buggy....I think I already found 2 bugs and 1 inconvinience. =X

I noticed that when you post pictures using rich links, they don't pop up out on the main page that shows all of the recently commented on topics.

A picture attached to a post out there is typically what catches my eye, or how I scroll through to find a post I saw earlier in the day. So I find that detail to be less than exciting. I would rather save the image and reload it so that it will show up under the topic out on the main page.

Is this an issue that is easily remedied?

@beautytester. I've tried doing it on a couple of threads. When I paste the link in nothing happens. No image of the products appears below the post. I've followed the instructions here, but it just isn't working.

@Imi82. It doesn't work in this thread, which is in blog format. The function described should work for the normal BeautyTalk posts. Try posting here and see if it works: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Off-Topic/Rich-Linking-Test-Thread/td-p/755549

42 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos6
  • lovemarcppage.jpg
  • postpage.jpg
  • deletelinkinpost.jpg
  • imagepost.jpg
  • imagepostclick.jpg
  • carousel.jpg
testing