Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

In Focus: Eyeliner

Captain Obvious Observation of the Day: BeautyTalkers are opinionated.

So every now and again I’ll hold a mini focus group on Show & Tell to fish for your feedback. This is your chance to talk directly to our product developers, so don’t hold back (like I have to tell you guys that :)).

Ladies (and gents), let’s talk liners.

eyeliner_edit.jpg

1. Which do you prefer—liquid, pencil, gel, or cream eyeliner? Why?
2. What qualities make the perfect (liquid / pencil / gel / cream) eyeliner?
3. What is the hardest thing about applying eyeliner?
4. What is your favorite eyeliner on the market? Why?
5. If you could invent the perfect eyeliner, what would it look like, and what would it do?

Show & Tell your responses in the comments!

Get inspired> http://seph.me/YVKZ2i

Re: In Focus: Eyeliner

1. I use a pencil eyeliner. I have hooded lids so that only kind of lining I do is tightlining/lash lining with a bit of smudge, and nothing else is very well suited to that but pencil, as far as I know.

2. Waterproof. Doesn't transfer to upper or lower lid. Easy to sharpen tip.

3. Getting through the lashes :s

4. I haven't experimented enough to say. I've been using Norman Merle because it's very highly rated on Makeupalley.com for my purposes.

5. I'd really like there to be more affordable (under $10 each), waterproof eye liners that aren't sparkly, and that are in really interesting bright and dark shades other than the neutrals. Norman Merle has these so I might head over there and invest in more, but I'm a Sephora devotee so I want them from there!

Hi Hellokittyutah. I couldn't find a matte pink shade that was waterproof. How do you feel about using a matte white or beige shade?

❤️ Melissa

Actually, talking about liners, I am looking for a very pale pink liner,matte or else,to underline the lower eyelid area (not the waterline). It has to be waterproof, of course,pencil or liquid.  I have only found a Sephora one but is too thick for my liking. I have tried mUFE (not exact color but I tried it) and in that particular color it skips on my eyelid. It does not look uniform.  Any ideas?

1. I'm a pencil liner only girl- I find others too messy or too difficult to deal with since I'm literally blind without my glasses.
2. Consistency and ability to stay put!
3. Hardest thing for me is adjusting to wearing glasses (and doing liner by feel only) vs 19 years of contacts (when I could see perfectly).
4. I love Make Up For Ever's Aqua Eyes since I can tightline with them- and the range of colors is amazing!
5.Waterproof, smudgeproof stick that goes on without tugging, always perfectly sharp.

1. I prefer pencil eyeliner for everyday since it's the easiest to use and control.

2. The perfect eyeliner is completely smudge proof and easy to use and control (like pencils and felt tip liquid liners).

3. Getting the wings even, and when it's hard to control the liner, it's impossible.

4.I love the Sephora Retractable Waterproof eyeliner pencils-I've found them to be way more smudge-proof than the Urban Decay 24/7 liners.  For liquid, I love the Stila Stay All Day waterproof liquid liners.

5. The perfect eyeliner would glide on smoothly, be able to be blended out but then set to a waterproof, completely smudge proof finish.  It could be any form of liner, but those qualities are the best.

1. I have used gels, pencils and liquids.. and i have to say my favorite is the liquid eyeliner.

The liquid liner usually already have a fine tip therefore they are easier to control and make the line you want to create! They are also usually really black, easy to take off, and also they can be waterproof. Pencil liners can also be waterproof, but since they mostly dont have a fine tip (unless you sharpen them all the time) it gets trickey when you want to create a cat eye. Gel liners are awesome too. But that means you have to have gel, and a brush for it. And to me, these dry up faster than any of the other ones!

2. The quality that makes a liner perfect is the color, and durability!

3. The hardest thing about applying eyeliner, is trying to get a straight line!!! OR, trying to match both eyes!

4. Right now i absolutly love the Sephora liquid liner. It lasts long, it has a fine tip, and it's really dark! The only problem is that it comes off so easy with water, so if anything sprinkles in your eye, it will drip off. But then again, i dont like waterproof liquid liners, so i am stuck!

5. If i could invent the perfect eyeliner, it would be really dark, have a fine tip. and it would not be waterproof, but it could atleast hold up to some water. 

I would also like one with the mold of the eye so all you have to do is just close your eye, press it down and it is done! kind of like a brand, but for your eye with liquid liner, this would make both eyes even!!!! 

I actually prefer cake eyeliners!  I guess that counts as liquid?  I prefer cake for several reasons:

a) once it dries it never smudges on me and I don't get racoon eyes at the end of the day

b) I prefer to use my own eyeliner brush to apply, not a bit fan of felt-tip pens

c) it comes off with water!  anything that can save me steps in my makeup removal routine is a huge plus!

That's for wearing to work--if I'm going out I'll most likely use gel so I can smudge it out a bit.

Gorgeous colors, easy to apply, and easy to remove

I'm nearsighted and it drives me crazy because I can't get close enough to the mirror!

No real favorites yet, many of them seem very similar.

5. If you could invent the perfect eyeliner, what would it look like, and what would it do?

Whatever type it is, it would have to glide on easily and not drag on my skin!  That's why I hate pencil liners.

I prefer Liquid because, I find that it looks really polished!

2. What qualities make the perfect (liquid / pencil / gel / cream) eyeliner? A rich amount of pigment that is long lasting and does not fade.

3. What is the hardest thing about applying eyeliner? Making both eyes very even and making sure that the wing is perfect!

Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner and Sephora Collection Long-Lasting 12HR Wear Eye Liner. Both go on very smoothly and do not run or budge. They also have a rich black pigment!

I would make a liner pen in the shape of the Sephora Collection Pro Bent Liner Brush #23. It would be very easy apply.

❤️ Melissa
Anonymous Insider

I prefer gel liner simply because it dries wickedly fast,is ideal for getting perfect wings, and has a nice matte texture.

It requires the use of both hands, a decent sized mirror, and good lighting.

Bobbi Brown's Gel Liner and I really like Too Faced's Three Way liner pen.They're very easy to use and have excellent coverage.

I would want a gel liner pen, with the texture from a pot. I'd want something that can be done in just a few seconds.

1. I prefer liquid eyeliner for doing a cat eye, obviously pencil liners for doing the waterline and lower lashline. I just think it's easiest to do cat eye looks with liquid liners, especially the Urban Decay ones because the brush is so thin and it's easy to control.

2. Liquid: thin brush (not felt tip); pencil: creamy, pigmented

3. For me it's getting both eyes even because my right eye has an extra crease so it always looks wonky.

4. Urban Decay 24/7 liners, both pencil and liquid. You just can't beat the quality, and they last forever.

5. Wow, I don't even know because to me you can't improve on Urban Decay's liners!

I prefer liquid over the other types .Lancome Art Liner in black(noir) is the best liquid eyeliner I have used to date. Went on smooth, did not run, dried fast, no smudging, did not tug or pull on lids. The hardest thing about applying it is keeping a steady hand. I use it to make cat eyes.

I only own one liner, a black felt tip liquid liner (merle norman pro pen, sharp black). It takes a bit of practice to get the line you want, and the first time I tried doing a cat eye it wasnt pretty (yikes).

I want to try gel liners, heard they were a bit easier to work with when you have a good brush.

12 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 12 Contributors
Photos1
  • eyeliner_edit.jpg
testing