cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

In Focus: Essences

InFocus_Essences_10.16.jpg

Korean Beauty has become one of the hottest beauty trends, and for good reason. A careful regimen imparts moisturized, naturally glowing skin and addresses all kinds of skin concerns without harsh peels or treatments. Since these skincare routines tend to involve many steps, it can seem a bit overwhelming for those just getting started. We’ve decided to focus on one of the most buzz-about and essential steps in any K-Beauty regimen. We’re talking about essences! Read on to learn just what essences do, how they work, and why applying essence is one of the most essential steps in your K-Beauty skincare ritual. While trends inevitably change, we don’t see this individualized skincare regimen going out of style anytime soon! -Kris G.

What is Korean Beauty and how do essences fit in?

Korean Beauty regimens focus on preventative care, addressing potential skin issues and damage before they become problems. In order to do this, regimens incorporate specific steps, each building upon the last, for powerful overall results. One of the overarching keys to any regimen is constant deep hydration to help the skin stay healthy and efficiently absorb active ingredients. That’s where essences come in!

Before applying essences, many traditional routines start with double-cleansing to remove surface dirt, makeup, and sunscreen. If needed, a pore pack opens pores to release deep-down dirt and pull it away before soothing and tightening pores and toner can also be applied. Once massaged into the skin, the essence penetrates skin with lasting moisture and facilitates delivery of actives from sheet masks or serums. Finally, a daily sunscreen or nightly sleep treatment helps keep skin balanced day and night. The whole process is effective but gentle, without relying on harsh peels or scrubs.

Why use an essence?

If all that seems a bit daunting, we recommend starting with essence. Essence caters to all skincare routines and concerns and is one of the most basic products you can add to your current routine to help your skin achieve a healthy dewy look. This week in our BeautyTalk Live Chat with Alicia Yoon, founder of Peach & Lily and K-Beauty expert, she raved about essences. She pointed out how vital essences are for absorbing moisture and subsequent products in a skincare routine. “Your skin is like a sponge,” she noted, “When it's not well hydrated, it's brittle like a sponge and cracks more easily if and when moved around... A weak skin barrier lets moisture escape the skin more easily, causing skin to become even more dehydrated and a welcome mat for bacteria. When well-hydrated, other liquids absorb more easily and the skin becomes more resilient.” An essence is best used after cleansing and toning, but before treatment, masks, or moisturizers.

What are some great essences?

Two of our favorite essences here at Sephora are May Coop Raw Sauce and Shiseido Eudermine Revitalizing Essence.

Raw Sauce is formulated from raw maple sap base, consisting of tiny particles so small they enable the formula to absorb easily deep into the skin. It’s also, as Alicia pointed out, “chock-full of antioxidants” and offers “intensive but gentle hydration and nourishment in a pretty bottle!” It also boasts a great natural scent.

Eudermine Revitalizing Essence was introduced in Japan in 1897 and has been prized as a skin care product ever since. This softening essence responds to changes in climate to keep the skin's moisture level constant, regardless of location or time of year, plus it smells amazing and comes in a chic red bottle. Shiseido is one of the oldest and most trusted Asian skincare brands.

So that’s essences in a nutshell. They’re the perfect intro to a K-Beauty routine and an easy way to give your skin a dewy lift without harsh chemicals or scrubs.

Are essences an essential in your beauty routine? Share your thoughts on this K-Beauty staple! 

Re: In Focus: Essences

I'm alternating the Missha Time Revolution one and Kiehls Iris Extract Essence. I love them both.

I love the Raw Sauce. I use it as part of my morning routine and have really enjoyed the extra step of moisture. It's also got a great scent. 

Very interesting! Definitely some products I'm interested in trying! 🙂

I use 2 different "essences" its more of a serum as a supplement to the essence

Laneige Water Bank and Clique sport correct serum. Sometimes i just use of instead of both. Depends on the day 

I use Secret Key, Nots and Monique labs...love them all....

Anonymous Insider

I've only used the SK-II essence, but I love it! Helps my skin look radiant and clear. Can't wait to try more essences. 

I love the Missha The First Treatment Essence Mist. It is amazing.

I'd love to see a sephora favorites kit launched soon with various essences you carry- something like the oils set! 

Thanks for this breakdown on essences! I can't wait to try a few out to see which one I like best. Currently working through the samples from the VIBGLOW promo 🙂 That May Coop Raw Sauce sounds interesting - may have to try that one next!

I'm all about that Missha Time Revolution First Treatment Essence. Currently comparing with the SK-II that came in the Sephora Superstars set. The May Coop Raw Sauce sounds interesting.

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 11 Contributors
Photos1
  • InFocus_Essences_10.16.jpg
testing