Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

In Focus: Briogeo

I'll admit it, I rarely buy a new product that we sell without attempting to convince someone in the office to give it to me to try first (What? I'm frugal!), but I was so intrigued by everything I was hearing about new haircare line Briogeo that I snapped up a couple of their products as soon as they came back in stock on the site. So I was really excited to sit down with Briogeo founder Nancy Twine (who is SUPER SWEET and cool, btw), to find out more about this awesome little brand.

nancy in lab.jpgWhat is the inspiration behind the brand? 

Briogeo was inspired by my own family history of making homemade products in the kitchen of our home. It first started when my grandmother was swayed to create her own products out of necessity to provide for the large family she raised on her farm. From there, my mother learned the craft. She held onto my grandmother's ingredient journal, and when I was growing up she and I would make a wide assortment of homemade products ranging from soaps to hair care products using my grandmother's formulas as the base. My family history of making natural products at home and my passion for entrepreneurism are what motivated my desire to create Briogeo

Talk a little about your sustainable packaging and ingredient methodology. nancy in store.jpg

We've coined a concept called "6-Free" haircare, meaning, ALL of our products are free of sulfates, parabens, phthalates, silicones, synthetic fragrance, and artificial colors. Briogeo's mantra is: when it doubt, leave it out. We pride ourselves in creating pure, potent, and non-toxic products that are specifically formulated to give you the results you want and deserve. Every formula is fortified with potent blends of natural oils, vitamins, antioxidants, and fruit & plant extracts for super healthy and vibrant hair. 

We're sticklers for green packaging, too! All of our shampoo and conditioner bottles are manufactured right here in the USA. We use recycled, plastic milk jugs to make our bottles, which are also recyclable. So we've essentially created a two-way chain of recycling where we incorporate recycled materials into our packaging that can then be recycled again and again. 

briogeo hair.jpgDoes your line work on all hair types? 

We created Briogeo to carry out a mission of "Hair Care for All" - meaning, our product line caters to a diverse array of hair textures and types. Because I come from a diverse background, I wanted to create an all-inclusive line that people with different hair types could identify with. Our line is solutions oriented and focuses on three hair care segments: curly/texture, volume, and repair. We've done extensive research into the concerns of each of these hair categories and have focused all of our product formulations on addressing the specific needs of each one - using the finest concoctions of natural, performance based ingredients. So whether your hair is coarse & unruly, thin & brittle, or dry & damaged - the Briogeo assortment contains texture-specific products to match your specific hair needs.

What are your top product picks for:products.jpg

What advice do you have for beauty entrepreneurs interested in starting their own product line? 

I would encourage beauty entrepreneurs to take the time and do the research necessary to understand the market inside and out. That includes knowing your competitors, customers, and ways you plan to differentiate your brand amongst the current assortment. I see a lot of startups rush into production before taking these crucial steps and it often creates early setbacks that could have been avoided. I also encourage seeking out mentors within the industry as a way to gain meaningful advice and potential connections. There's a lot to be gained from the experience and lessons learned by others!

nancy kitchen.jpg

Re: In Focus: Briogeo

I love her story and the products. I have the leave in spray and love it. While at the rouge event I asked for samples for the deep conditioner as well. I plan on ordering a few things now too. I also like that I can use the same products for myself and my children. My hair is relaxed while my children have natural hair. I love being able to use the same stuff for all of us, makes life way easier lol.

I saw a brand rep at the BBB event this past Sunday. Unfortunately it was after I'd been in the store for an hour and a half and was on my way to the register. My son stopped and put some of the oil on his locs. I noticed immediately how much sheen his hair had but I didn't really pay any attention. The next day, his hair still had a fabulous healthy glow and was very soft. I regret not stopping to speak to the rep & bringing the product home with us :'-(

Interesting background on the company! Their leave-in conditioner spray just might have to come home with me 😉

So cool! I've heard some great things about Briogeo, particularly for curly hair. Maybe one day I'll try one of the masks 🙂

Great interview! I love that this brand doesn't use sulfates or MCI/MI in its hair products. So many brands, including Living Proof, Carol's Daughter, etc. use MCI or MI which is a major allergen for me and some other people.

I have the Briogeo Leave-In Conditioning Spray and the Deep Conditioning Mask. The Leave-In Conditioning Spray works well and doesn't weigh down my hair which I really appreciate.

I always love hearing the story behind the brand! Thanks for the great interview, Candace!

Wow, thank you for sharing. What a great interview. I loved learning the back story of the brand. I actually tried 1 product that I received in either an ipsy bag or a birchbox. The Don't Despair Repair conditioner. It was actually a generous size than came in a small jar so I was able to use it a few times. I really liked it, it was very hydrating but didn't leave my hair greasy or oily.  Can't wait to try other products!

wow the interview was such great insight into the brand, thanks so much for sharing this with BT! I have yet to try Briogeo but i'm really excited since I recently received a sample of the Rosarco Leave In Spray!! 

This was a great interview and I'm definitely going to try out some of their products now! I'm always wary of newer hair care brands because sometimes there are hair types they don't cater to, mainly my type of hair. Also, some brands not founded by POC sometimes don't have products that I or people like me would benefit from. Super happy this also doesn't have any of the harsh chemicals to further damage my hair! 

Glad you liked the interview! It's a really interesting brand and she has a great story. She only started the brand 3 years ago! 

This was a great interview. Really liked the backstory with how the products are consciously created. Can't wait to try more of this brand.

Wow, thank you!!  I like the story and concepts behind the brand--will have to try it out!! It is hard to find good products for my baby-fine, color treated hair. It is short so never gets dry or damaged. so many color-treated products target dryness and are too heavy.

Thank  you for the great information! 

12 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 12 Contributors
Photos5
  • nancy in lab.jpg
  • nancy in store.jpg
  • briogeo hair.jpg
  • products.jpg
  • nancy kitchen.jpg