Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Daily Obsessions: Major Mascaras

Fun fact: If you search “What’s the best mascara?” on BeautyTalk, you get more than 10,000 results. That’s 10,000 conversations. About mascara.

To save you some time, I scoured our Daily Obsessions archives to bring you Sephora staffers’ preferred mascaras. Of course if you’d like to read through 10,000 mascara threads, be my guest! (Seriously, please do. I think that’d be awesome.)

4.23 mascaras.jpg

1. Tarte Lights, Camera, Splashes! Waterproof Mascara
“My favorite waterproof mascara. It lengthens and gives lashes the volume I desperately need. And it stays put all day long." Connie Y., Senior Director, Marketing

2. Benefit They’re Real Mascara
"This mascara truly does it all, leaving lashes full, pretty, and not clumpy! The jet black formula looks great on everyone, the brush is truly innovative, and the tip pulls lashes in just the right way." Amy E., Manager, Client Service

3. Kat Von D Sin-Full Lash Mascara
"I love this mascara and wear it everyday. It defines, lengthens, thickens, goes on so easily, and stays put without clumping or flaking. I also love the thick brush, as it gets all of my lashes." Marie S., Senior Counsel

4. MAKE UP FOR EVER Smoky Lash
"I continually try new mascaras, but this is now my one and only. It lengthens and volumizes without ever being clumpy, and deposits the darkest of dark color." Tiffany L., Senior Marketing Director

5. Yves Saint Laurent MASCARA VOLUME EFFET FAUX CILS - Luxurious Mascara in Fascinating Violet
"As crazy as it sounds, the Fascinating Violet shade looks more natural on my blonde-tipped lashes than black. And as a bonus, the purple color makes my eyes look greener." Amy G., Editorial Director

6. Hourglass Film Noir Full Spectrum Mascara
"My favorite mascara is a bit lesser known, but it goes on evenly, thickens lashes, and comes off easily with makeup remover." Bridget D., VP, Interactive

7. Lancome CILS BOOSTER XL Super-Enhancing Mascara Base
"I got this as a sample and now I am hooked. My mascara looks perfect from morning application to evening." Emily T., Store Marketing Assistant Manager

8. Dior Diorshow New Look Mascara
"I love coating my blonde lashes from base to tip in black. With this mascara, it's all about the brush. The small rubber wand allows you to really work it into the lashes and build lots of length." Helen P., Sephora PRO Artist

So what’s your ALL TIME FAVORITE (yes, that deserves all caps, this is a big deal!) mascara?

Show & Tell in the comments!

See all mascaras> http://seph.me/15Guewk

Re: Daily Obsessions: Major Mascaras

My two all-time favorites are Benefit's They're Real Mascara and Eyeko Skinny Mascara.  I find that with both of these there is no smudging, they don't irritate my eyes and they are waterproof.  I like the brush on the Benefit They're Real--It Cosmetics also now makes a mascara that is pretty good with the same type of brush with the ball tip, also by It Cosmetics is a tightliner mascara--it has a super skinny brush that you use at the root of your lashes and it gives the tightline effect and lasts all day--it also works really well as a bottom lash mascara..  The Eyeko will stay on my lashes for days until I decide to take it off and it doesn't make your lashes hard and brittle like other waterproof mascaras.

Out of all my faves, i always go back to Benefits Bad Gal Waterproof! It separates, lengthens, and the waterproof version is perfect for summer! Its like the cloud nine of mascaras!

I absolutely love Laura Mercier's Faux Lash.  It's not without its application issues (got to love eyelash combs) but it stays on so well and does beautiful things to my lashes.  I really think it deserves some praise!  🙂

I am a Buxom devotee for everyday use! Some mascaras burn my eyes after a couple of hours and I have grown to hate many of the newer applicators but Buxom's is never fail.

I bought a collection of mascaras from Sephora during the holidays in '11 and also fell for Badgal and Tarte.

I've been using Lancome Hypnose Drama for the past month or so and it's definitely the best mascara I've used in a while. Plenty of volume and drama and very little smudging/flaking!

My fav mascara isn't sold at Sephora, but it is without a doubt Rimmel Scandal Eyes Show Off Mascara. It is my total HG mascara, hands down. Clinique Lash Doubling Mascara is good, too.

@Candace those Shiseido cotton squares are AMAZING! I laughed at first and now I can't live without them! 🙂

I think my favorite mascara has to be either the Dior OverCurl or the Hourglass Film Noir full lash mascara- the Dior lifts my lashes and the Hourglass thickens them up.

I'm like Janine and Mia though, I LOVE my Dior maximizer! It's truly amazing and makes my mascara go on and look flawless!

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana

@katie1724 - Hi! Have you tried the Koh Gen Do Cleansing Water? It's amazing and super gentle. I use it with the Shiseido cotton pads and I can get my whole face off with one pad.

kohgendo.jpgshiseido.jpgkoh gen do: http://seph.me/15RssZk

shiseido: http://seph.me/YVFQEC

@piratefoxy - I still buy the lash stash, those little tubes are great for travel!

@midniterae - So I like both, but Korres is more everyday and not dramatic enough for me. 🙂 The Josie mascara has actually made the Obsessions list a few times from different employees, everyone loves it!

@starletta - I'm ALL about enabling, lol. Speaking of which..

@crazyzeeRN - don't forget your open mascaras expire after 3-4 months. I know we all keep them longer, but they can get icky. If it starts to smell wonky, toss it (and buy more!) 🙂

@makeupobsessed - Bad Gall stays in my rotation. It's my fave for the dramatic lashes I love everyday.

@kaotichappiness - if you like They're Real, try Givenchy 

Phenomen'Eyes, it's got a ball wand (similar to the top of They're Real) and gets EVERY lash.

givenchy mascara.jpghttp://seph.me/11nG8We

Anonymous Insider

@candacebt

Those are two brands I have not tried yet. Do you like one better than the other?

I really like the Blinc mascara for those natural look days. I wear glasses (can't do contacts) and sometimes mascaras that add length or volume can be a little TOO much, if you know what I mean, particularly since my eyelashes are naturally pretty reasonable. The Blinc just defines them and adds some color and doesn't irritate my eyes even when my allergies act up and make them water, so it gets a win all around from me as my go-to when I'm not doing anything particularly special or dramatic.

(I do love the Lash Stash, though. Never know when you'll find something new you love, plus the smaller sample tubes of the more dramatic mascaras are perfect for me since I hardly ever do a look that needs that full on could-be-false-lashes effect. 🙂 )

YSL Faux Cils, because nothing makes my lashes fuller or longer looking -- they really do look false. It's such a pain to remove, but it's worth the trouble for how amazing it is. 🙂

Hands down benefit they're real!

My all time fav is Benefit Bad Gal Lash.  I try to find one to take its place, but I've yet to find a better mascara.

Tough question, I love too many! Top favorites are Laura Mercier Long Lash, Fairy Drops Scandal Queen, Hourglass Film Noir, and Buxom Amplified Lash. I have a ridiculous number of mascara samples to get through, it will be a LONG time before I get to repurchase some of these favorites!

@candacebt- I smell enabling!  (Of course, not that I need much of it).  Today I was able to help a co-worker in need out with my mini stash of unused samples that I keep for just that reason. That's what happens to a lot of the ones I know I don't like in advance/random GWPs.

Plus mini anything is cuter!

That said, I'm really into the Clinique Bottom Lash mascara for- you guessed it- bottom lashes. Perfect little wand!

Anonymous Insider

I love Lancome Cils Booster and also Hypnose Drama.  They're my current favs but I alternate between DiorShow Blackout...

Anonymous Insider

@candacebt- No doubt! It seems we all have that in common:)

@beautylovingirl - hahahahahahaha. We really should just make that the name of the community. 🙂

Anonymous Insider

@candacebt- knock,knock....who's there???  ENABLERS R US!!!!!

43 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos4
  • 4.23 mascaras.jpg
  • givenchy mascara.jpg
  • kohgendo.jpg
  • shiseido.jpg
testing