cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Beauty Challenge: How do you Oil?

Oils_1.13.jpg

Fact: Beauty oils can be a little scary.

I mean, what are they? How do you use them? When? Will they work with your oily skin? I could give you endless stats and facts about how awesome beauty oils are, but this is BeautyTalk, so let's make this a team effort!

For this week's Beauty Challenge, it's time to talk oils. Do you use (and love) a beauty oil? How do you use it? How has it worked for you?

And if you haven't tried a beauty oil yet, I challenge you to go for it (and report back)!

Show & Tell!

Find which beauty oil is right for you> http://seph.me/1dqcXvZ

Anonymous Insider

Re: Beauty Challenge: How do you Oil?

Aw, couldn't identify the Fresh Seaberry. Drat.

I am finding more and more oils to love! I think JM and Nude were the first oils I tried and I found JM didn't work for my skin (though it's workable for my hair), and I got a little scared away, even though I really liked the NUDE oil. But just recently I've started using both Caudelie's Divine Oil and L'Occitane's almond shower oil and I love love love both! My skin is looking softer, clearer, and way less oily (face). Some of my eczema has even gotten better with the shower oil! Totally obsessed. Just a few years late haha. With this realization, I'm even trying some of the samples I've had for a while that I was too scared of. Namely the JM argan oil face wash. I'm not sure it's the best for me for this time of year in California (I see 100 degrees regularly still at work!), but maybe once it gets colder.

Oh... and back in the day...I used coconut oil.  Found out about that lil trick from my friends from "the islands".  I'm a black woman and I wear my hair natural (no relaxer since 2002) and coconut oil was an all over "hair to toe" product for me...hmmm may need to pick some up.  It's SUPER cheap and it works so well to moisturize your sexy!  LOL

I have very oily skin in my T-zone and oily rest of my face after a few hours.  LOL  I love my oily skin (I'm in my 40s and look about 27-28, not bragging just sayin').  My granny told me decades ago that the oilier the skin the younger you look for longer.  May be an old wives tale (she was from the deep south) but I have found I look younger than my non oily friends.  

I use JM argan oil and have recently started using her argan sunscreen.  I believe it's spf 47.  I love it and I cut the "oiliness" with my Becca stay matte primer even when I'm not wearing makeup.  A lot of the ladies I work with ask me about my skin.  I tell them it's simply great genes and sunscreen.

Anonymous Insider

No one said anything about the new oil from Algenist ! It's heaven and I use it day and night. I bought the oil collection that had four diff kinds and I will pass on the Josie Maran oil, it's just to heavy for my skin. I love her body butter and her cleansing oil but the other one I have to pass on. Thanks girls and guys like me 

I use and love Fresh Seaberry Face oil. I've gotten so many compliments on my skin since I started using it over a year ago. It has made my skin softer and gives me a nice healthy glow. In the summer, I mix a drop in with my moisturizer at night. In the winter or when I'm entering drier climates (like AZ or SoCal), I put a drop in my daytime moisturizer/BB cream and 1-2 drop at night, depending on how my skin feels. I've also used it occasionally as a cuticle oil. I should also mention, for those who are curious about using it, I have combination and highly sensitive skin with eczema and have had no problems with it. 

I am fond of sweet almond oil, it helps smooth fine lines, hydrates and makes nails stronger. I find that a tiny drop is enough.  It sells everywhere, I got mine at the grocery store!

Anonymous Insider

Hi, I hope I am not missing the answer to my question up there!  Let me see what I can find out.  I know that to use the face oils you take a couple drops on your fingertips and then dab dab dab the oil onto your face.  How do body oils work?  I have the Clarans (smells amazing) but wouldn't only dabbing not give me that great of coverage?  I have the overwhelming urge to rub.  

Also, do I use the face oil in place of moisturizer or in addition to?

Thanks, guys!

@ Askenjuri- I use Sponge Ladi Avakanto Oil as well. I agree with it being on the" heavier" side. I have Dry/Dehydrated skin, that clogs very easily. I pat it on my skin while it's damp. I haven't experienced any breakouts when using this.

Argan on the other hand makes my skin extremely angry. =(

So you all seem to be about the Argan oil, what about others?  I just started using the Sponge Beauty Avocado/olive oil,so far I'm liking it (fingers crossed). It does seem a little heavy, I am concerned about breakouts, but only using a drop or two at night has the extra benefit of making it last a loooong time!

I really like the Nude oil, but I'm putting that aside for now, with the Sponge oil.  I'm really curious about the Lea Journo Plum oil.  The reviewers all seem to adore it, but I got no responses when I posted a question about it.

Definitely interested in the Boscia Tsubaki,but I don't know, I really wasn't crazy about the sample I had.  I may just go back to my old faithful Aveda Beautifying oil.  This time of the year is great for soaking in a tub with the Aveda oil or good old Monoi oil added.  I also do overnight hair masks with the monoi oil, smells so good!  

Oh, does anybody have any experience with the Marula oil?  I kinda think that might be really good as a daily oil, whereas some of the others seem to be a little more specialized.  For instance, the Sponge as a heavier, wintertime oil, also the Boscia, while I've heard Sea Buckthorn is really good for hair.  

Any thoughts?

I love oils. I'm definitely a collector. I like to try them all. 

@seemee22 I love Pai as well. 

I have the Tarte oil, JM Argan and Argan light, Tsubaki oil (not Boscia), another brand of rose hip oil that is not Pai as well as Pai, my beloved coconut oil which is awesome for taking off makeup, and using as a hair treatment.

Anonymous Insider

I notice this is a new thing at Sephora, but oil on my face? I have enough of that on my forehead thankyou 🙂

I love oils and think they are wonderful butt... as much as I use  and love Josie's products the oil breaks me out numerous times and I'm thinking of using the tarte maracuja oil.  Many posts on here and QVC have said that maracujs oil have helped with acne prone skin. So I'm going to try this and see what results I have. Thank you. 

I use almost every single Josie Maran product because I absolutely LOVE Argan Oil!  I use the Argan Oil light as my every day under makeup moisturizer, I am going to Sephora to get the regular Argan Oil for at night!  I am so excited because I love how it makes my skin feel.  I do love the Maracuja oil, I have just found myself preferring Argan Oil.  

I also got a small size of the Argan Hair Serum in one of JM's holiday sets (the larger one) and it is my absolutely favourite product for my hair!  I live in a really dry climate as well as being try head to toe, not to mention my poor hair is colour treated and straightened and curled frequently, I use the Argan Hair Serum on my hair almost everyday.  I run it through my natural waves to soften and smooth, I use it when I curl my hair to gently loosen my curls and add shine, and I also use it when I flat iron my hair to help with fly aways for a really smooth and sleek look.  And my desperately in need of a trim split ends love it!  

So I am an Argan Oil convert, I will never be without it in multiple forms in my beauty bag!

I have very very oily skin that is prone to pretty bad hormonal breakouts around the chin area. I've been starting to do research on oils and I understand the science behind it, but it's just such a change than what I've been doing for years. However, at Christmas I got a Josie Maran Escape to Morocco kit which has her light argan oil. I figured, "screw it" and tried it. I started using it just at night and my skin felt so amazing when I woke up! I did more research and found that it can be used under moisturizer for added moisture. I came to New Mexico from South Carolina for work and my skin went CRAZY dry so I started using it under my moisturizer during the day as well and it has made tons of difference! I still have a few little breakouts here and there on my chin every once in a while, but not NEARLY as bad as it has been. Just one or two pop up now vs 10. 

I'm excited to experiment and try more so I ordered the Sephora Favorites Beauty Oils Essentials Kit. I'm also expanding my skincare routine beyond clean and clear (Hey, it's worked for me forever) so I also bought the Sephora Favorites Skin Bender Volume 1 and Skin Cleanse Volume 2. I'm excited to try out some new skincare products and experiment with oils!

I've started using some Argan oil sometimes but I'm not convinced it's better than the creams I like. Maybe in addition or under? More experimenting is needed. 

Love, Love, Love Argan oil. For most of my life, I suffered from breakouts. It seemed to go against conventional wisdom to use an oil but I was sold after one experience. Having black skin, every pimple left a mark, almost without exception. One day when I was traveling, before I landed I noticed that I had a huge white head on my face. There was no way I was walking through the airport with that horror story glaring at everyone. So I squeezed it, and rubbed the Josie Maran Argan Oil on it, since I didn't have anything else. I happened to have a sample size in my purse. Not only was there no mark, the pimple dried up by the time I got to my hotel! It was the first time in 35 yrs, that that ever happened! I have been using Argan Oil ever since. My hair and entire body!!

I use an oil from my friend's line (includes oils she distills herself), but if I need something a little richer I use Kate Somerville Dilo Oil. I use it on clean skin, day and night, a few drops, press into the skin. Sometimes I put it on over my PTR CC. Love love love. My skin is way more balanced and glowing with oil than it is w/ a cream or lotion moisturizer. I would never go back!

#oilhoardersunite 🙂

The oils are: Tarte maracuja, Nude ProGenius, Boscia Tsubaki, Fresh Seaberry and Jose Maran Argan.

Due to lighting/shadow, I am unable to distinguish if the last one is argan or argan light. However, considering the fact this line up does not include the newer ones (Origins plantscription, OH truth, Clarin Lotus etc), I am going to go with the older version, the normal argan oil.

Is it sad that I can tell which is which by bottle color and the dropper? altho it's mostly from putting together my oil comparison thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/All-Other-Concerns/Facial-oil-comparison-break-down-moisturizer-kind...

@Mia you cut foundation with an oil?! I need to try this!

28 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos2
  • Oils_1.13.jpg
  • 20140102_111046.jpg
testing