elisetrinh

fake products being sold at Sephora

[ Edited ]

A warning to others out there!

I purchased two naked2 palettes last week at the Pacific Centre location in Vancouver, BC that I was surprised to discover were fakes. As soon as I opened the package at home I noticed something was off. The mirror was wonky, the half baked was a completely different tone than the one I have in my naked 1. After comparing it with a friend's, it was 100% confirmed. The lettering on the front of mine is black vs the grey of the authentic one, and the pots are thinner. The palette feels much lighter and cheaper overall and a bunch of the colours and textures are slightly off. The brush also sucks! The package itself looked fine on the shelf and still came with the lip gloss.

I've always heard of fakes being sold online through 3rd party websites such as amazon and ebay but have never heard of a case of them being sold at an actual Sephora store. I just googled it and the general consensus seems to be that you're safe if you purchase directly from Sephora. This didn't turn out to be true in my case and as much as I love Sephora, I'm going to be weary from now on when I purchase products there and I'd advise others to inspect their products as well before buying.

I'll be making the trip to the store this weekend to show them and hopefully they will be able to make it right.  :/

edit2:

Just got the 2nd palette I bought for my mom. Hers is definitely real and mine is definitely wrong.. I can't believe I didn't notice this at the store! But I just grabbed the two top palettes and went straight to the check-out.

The weight difference is from the mirror. The fake one is just a thin plastic reflector that is wonky but the other is a real mirror.

All the swatches are a little off but most noticeably Half Baked and Busted(which I was super excited about as it was my fav when I tried my friends. When I tried the fake one I was soo disappointed)

A rep from the Sephora location just called me and asked me to bring the palettes in and they will take care of it. It's not local to me so I can't just drive there but hopefully I can bring it in soon. Will keep everyone updated. Cheers.

naked1.jpgnaked2.jpgnaked3.jpgnaked4.jpgnaked5.jpg

LuckyWinter

Re: fake products being sold at Sephora

Woahh this is awful ! I brought my Naked 2 palette 1-2 months ago, I will sure check that out! I can't believe something like this would happen.... the clarisonic story is scary! Plus Ive already had meh / bad store experience at sephora before :smileysad:

infinitise

I was actually talking to my cousin who is in Korea about the Naked palettes and she asked if she could get them in Korea too. So I did a search on naver.com (my goto search engine for Korean stuff) and I was shocked at how many obvious fakes there were on both Naked 1 and 2 palettes. 

They were like a few dollars cheaper but looked almost the same (you would know if you have seen the naked palette in person, but if it was my cousin whose never seen them searching them up, she would've bought it thinking its real) 

its super annoying actually 

gongju87

Oh wow! This is scary! One of the reasons I buy from Sephora is because I want genuine items. Reading about this, and the clarisonic experience below, makes me nervous...esp the clarisonic...for something that $$ you want to ensure you are getting the real thing

melanito

The weird thing Janine was that it was an online order! Not sure if stuff got shipped back from stores to the warehouse without being inspected. :smileyhappy:

I do want to send a word of praise to the Pacific centre staff. Whenever I go there they are so friendly and helpful. I read horror stories from some people's experience. Whoever hires for that store has great judgement. Even during busy promotions everyone is well just super!!

melanito

wow that is shocking. that's the sephora i shop at and I love all the staff there (they are top notch). you can see possible changes in packaging/weight but not in shades. you're so lucky you're familiar with what product is supposed to look like and aren't used shadows comprised of who knows what. 

I check out Sephora's FB page occasionally and found all the reports of people receiving new UD palettes that had obvious finger smudges and other damage odd as well. Really odd as in some cases they were really recent releases. 

Regardless I'm guessing Sephora staff members are going to have to scrutinize these more expensive items for returns and become informed about fakes..though I'm not sure why a return would go back out on the floor.

I did on one occasion myself receive Kevyn Aucoin products that were on sale that were pretty gross (cream blushes with product all outside container and finger smushes inside) but Sephora took care of that.

Can a Beauty Advisor advise on what happens with returns in store?

janinebt

Hi ladies,

We have reached out to Urban Decay, they have actually changed their palettes around just slightly so naturally the weight and overall container itself might vary. If you have any concerns about their changes we'd recommend reaching out to Urban Decay directly.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
janinebt

Hi juicie4jen,

I'll send you a PM right now. Moving forward keep in mind that you can always reach out to me or any of the other mods. Thanks.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
ghkim

did they also change the formulations of half baked and busted? from the swatches above, the shades look so different.

janinebt

@ghkim, it's possible that one of our cast members mistakenly put a tester into a sale section. Glad to hear you were able to get that resolved :smileyhappy:

Whimsically yours,
Janine
syritt

That's awful! I know people used to do this sort of stuff when I worked in retail, they'd take boxes, open them and replace the stuff inside with different products. It's amazing someone went through all the trouble to make a product that looks nearly identical though. Seems like a ton of work for some eyeshadows unless they really did that in bulk, like replaced a whole shipment or something.

Carmen1986

I just bought all 3 palettes yesterday lol. I'm scared about mine being possibly fake !. 

midnightangel

Yikes...these are all helpful stories. Definitely something to be aware of. Thank you for bringing this to everyone's attention.

juicie4jen

yup; bought a fake clarisonic at the pasadena store...they didn't do sh*t about it not even an apology etc...it's a long and shocking story

MermaidBarbie

Oh, my goodness..... How sad. :smileyindifferent:

juicie4jen

what was more sad/disturbing is how the manager AMBER at the pasadena store handled everything...from lying to me telling me to come back in 2 days and she will have my receipt for me (they friggin forgot to give me my receipt when i bought the fake clarisonic and other products spent $200 that day), and when i told the store that it was fake, they took the brush from me and told me to leave it w them??? anyways, so 2 days later i email her, no response then i call the store, a staff tells me the manager is on her break, and to leave my number n she will have her call me back...then i get a call from store an hour later, and staff tells me manager isn't in today?? um ok...but i need my own product back or something so before i head out i call one more time n another staff answers and i casually ask if the mgr is in today and she tells me yes!!!! to be contd...~

misscg

I would call corporate to report her and the store. Their practices and behavior is unacceptable. After the first trip there I would have called in the store and explained how I was being treated and how they refused to give me my money.

juicie4jen

i did call the beauty rouge cs line but they said nothing they can do, and to call the store n speak to them...um ok! and then i emailed sephora customer service, and they said they will direct the issue to ..? i forgot what they said but didn't really seem like they cared or they didn't think it was a big deal...prolly cuz they do this often and it's not out of the norm??? anyways, i never got treated like this and am still lil angry

bratknits

You have more patience than I do, after the second call my third would have been to the police to report counterfeit merchandise and let them figure it out.  It's an unbelievably huge problem that takes place at all different places in supply chains and not just flea market and street type vendors.  We've had several huge busts in and around Boston in the last few years, millions of dollars in fake products.  A lot of the time they bring in federal law enforcement.

juicie4jen

[ Edited ]

ya i was thinking about that but idk....i would have been fine if the bossy manager didn't play games w me and lie to me!!!! and telling the staff to say she not there when she was etc...proves that she/they knew/know the clarisonic brush was a fake and they didn't want to do anything to fix that issue; i even showed her the email clarisonic corporate sent to me proving that its fake she read it in my phone in front of me! and she didn't seem surprised or cared..i got screwed in every possible way! starting from wasting $200, to being treated like sh*t by sephora management staff etc...i don't think ima buy from sephora anymore; do u know if i can give my beauty rouge card and points etc to someone else?

wingatprsct

@elisetrinh - I'm so sorry you had this experience but thanks for sharing and adding the photos.  I'm still appalled that some company would actually manufacture a fake UD Naked 2!  I agree with emmaclaire that more than likely someone switched their fake in the store.  I never look in the boxes to see if the correct item is in the box; maybe now I should. 

I'm glad Sephora has come through for you.  I have never had anything but excellent service from Sephora and I have dealt with damaged product in shipping.  I guess "all's well that ends well!"

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 63 replies
  • 87 hearts
  • 32 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • prettyinpa
    • melanito
    • emmaclaire
    • sephoralovex
    • misscg