elisetrinh

fake products being sold at Sephora

[ Edited ]

A warning to others out there!

I purchased two naked2 palettes last week at the Pacific Centre location in Vancouver, BC that I was surprised to discover were fakes. As soon as I opened the package at home I noticed something was off. The mirror was wonky, the half baked was a completely different tone than the one I have in my naked 1. After comparing it with a friend's, it was 100% confirmed. The lettering on the front of mine is black vs the grey of the authentic one, and the pots are thinner. The palette feels much lighter and cheaper overall and a bunch of the colours and textures are slightly off. The brush also sucks! The package itself looked fine on the shelf and still came with the lip gloss.

I've always heard of fakes being sold online through 3rd party websites such as amazon and ebay but have never heard of a case of them being sold at an actual Sephora store. I just googled it and the general consensus seems to be that you're safe if you purchase directly from Sephora. This didn't turn out to be true in my case and as much as I love Sephora, I'm going to be weary from now on when I purchase products there and I'd advise others to inspect their products as well before buying.

I'll be making the trip to the store this weekend to show them and hopefully they will be able to make it right.  :/

edit2:

Just got the 2nd palette I bought for my mom. Hers is definitely real and mine is definitely wrong.. I can't believe I didn't notice this at the store! But I just grabbed the two top palettes and went straight to the check-out.

The weight difference is from the mirror. The fake one is just a thin plastic reflector that is wonky but the other is a real mirror.

All the swatches are a little off but most noticeably Half Baked and Busted(which I was super excited about as it was my fav when I tried my friends. When I tried the fake one I was soo disappointed)

A rep from the Sephora location just called me and asked me to bring the palettes in and they will take care of it. It's not local to me so I can't just drive there but hopefully I can bring it in soon. Will keep everyone updated. Cheers.

naked1.jpgnaked2.jpgnaked3.jpgnaked4.jpgnaked5.jpg

elisetrinh

Re: fake products being sold at Sephora

thanks to the lovely mods, this situation is being resolved now.. and I don't have to make the long trek back to the store! 

conclusion.. sephora, I still love you. :smileyhappy: cheers

roxystar4

yay! I am glad :smileyhappy:

emmaclaire

There's a really good comparison at http://amytabby.blogspot.com/2013/05/fake-urban-decay-naked-2-palette.html if you're worried about yours!  Also, keep in mind the redesign of the Naked 2 palette that the mod here mentioned - if yours seems slightly different, don't immediately panic and assume it's a fake!

And people do some really sketchy things.  I wouldn't even be surprised if someone managed to bring a fake into the store and switch it out for a genuine one - that would explain how a fake could be sold at Sephora and could be inside the genuine packaging.  That kind of theft and deception really shouldn't be leveraged against store associates - if you explain the problem to Sephora and they don't fix it, THAT'S when you can get righteously angry!

Good luck, and don't hesitate to contact sephora directly about this.  I'm sure they want to know if counterfeit products are being sold at their store (which is a big legal problem let alone a seriously unethical situation!)

juicie4jen

i thought when people return/exchange stuff at sephora, they don't put it back on the shelves and re sell them; don't they either throw it out or use as samples?? to put something back in stock after someone brought it back for exchange/return is kinda shady

keelybt

@Emmaclaire We have notified the merchants and they are currently investigating.

emmaclaire

I knew you would - I hope my post didn't come across as judgmental towards Sephora.  You guys are by far my favorite company to deal with because your customer service is top-notch.  The lack of ethics in the example I proposed would be coming from the sneaky person trying to scam Sephora by replacing a genuine product with a fake.  I wanted to point out that the blame in this situation should lie squarely with the person who put the fake in the store.  Because the company is doing everything possible to resolve this individual matter AND prevent it from happening again, I think that shows that Sephora is absolutely NOT to blame!  

In conclusion, I love Sephora LOL

elisetrinh

it might have been a return.. but I thought sephora doesn't restock returns? Especially unsealed products like this.. that's kind of gross. I don't know how they wouldn't have noticed it was fake when they inspected it before restocking too.

on another note, I actually like that coppery half baked, lol. But who knows what kind of ingredients are in a boot legged product. I sure wouldn't feel safe putting it on my face again.

roxystar: that is a good suggestion. Actually I don't even live a long drive away.. I live a long drive away + a 40 min ferry ride that isn't cheap. I only go to sephora on my way to the airport in the city when I'm flying somewhere.

roxystar4

I recommend you talk (private message a moderator) or call Sephora and tell them you would be happy to send them pictures. Mention to them that it is hard for you to return to the store you bought it at.

I would be upset if this happened to me. But I know that Sephora has good customer service and will make things right for you. 

elisetrinh

[ Edited ]

I just emailed the customer service rep that had been in touch with me and asked them if we can resolve through shipping. Thanks for the suggestion! It would be great to save me the trek to the city..d

keelybt

Not at all!  I just didn't want you ladies to think we weren't checking it out :smileyhappy:

keelybt

@Elisetrinh I just sent you a message.

Spyski

Is it just me, or am I the only one that likes the colors of the fake one better lol

I hope you get it taken care of either way! Fill us in on any updated :smileyhappy:

elisetrinh

ha.. ya I like the half baked. But the textures aren't as good and neither is the lasting power. I was wondering why my makeup a few days ago didn't last the day. :smileytongue:

keelybt

Hi ladies We are actually checking with Urban Decay to see if there has been a packaging change.

@Elisetrinh We have forwarded the pictures you posted and will update you once we hear back.

roxystar4

I think Sephora should pay for shipping for you to send the palette back and they should send you one in the mail to replace it.  I wouldnt want to make a long drive for something that wasn't my fault.

I dont think Sephora sells fake stuff but I think it probably was a "return" situation. 

elisetrinh

just edited the post with new pictures of the palette next to a real one. yea.. mine is definitely fake lol. 

aviscardi

I would be curious to see if that was one like others said that someone switched out and returned or just a factory defect. are you going back to exchange it, i wonder if thats the only one from that location i haven't seen the new packaged ones?

PoisonLipgloss

[ Edited ]

They probly sold you a fake return

emmaclaire

Woah!  That's a lot of hostility, I can't imagine how this comment was warranted.

latinadiva

Oddly enough, I was just watching a get ready with me tutorial on YouTube last night and she was using the Naked 2 palette. I watched as she put on the colors, and I'll admit I have not used the palette in a long time, so I really didn't think anything of the colors she was using. When she got to Chopper, I immediately was like...that's not Chopper. Again, I had not used the palette in a while but I was familiar with Chopper off the top of my head. She used Chopper to darken her outer V, and as we all know Chopper is more of a gold with shimmer, not a deep brown for the outer V. I then got up to inspect my own palette thinking she just confused the names as she mentioned which she used, but she showed photos of the palette and indicated which color, and it was definitely Chopper in terms of location in the palette. It appeared to be more like Snakebite. She also used Suspect, and in looking at it on her vs. my own swatch, her Suspect seemed to be more like Bootycall. 

All of that being said, if they claim they just tweaked the packaging, I'm not positive I would say it's fake just yet. I recently purchased a Stila palette from Ulta and came home to find that the palette actually had two of the same color (and luckily the one that was replaced with the duplicate was one of the main reasons I got the palette otherwise my stupid self probably wouldn't have noticed). I went to exchange it and they did indeed seem shocked but replaced it without a problem. Perhaps they accidentally put another color where Half Baked should be. I would say honestly don't let this deter your views of Sephora. I think sometimes stuff like this could probably happen that they just unfortunately get a bad one. I would say as long as they exchange it for you, which they should, no harm no foul. I try to make it a point to check everything I buy before taking it home, just because nothing is more horrible than being excited to use something and you get home and something is wrong with it. And it is always the times I don't look that something is wrong.

Hope you can get a new Naked 2!

elisetrinh

just an update. My mom just sent me pictures of her palette which was the 2nd one I bought and gave to her last weekend for her wedding.

Hers seems to be real! It has the grey lettering, the colours look better, there is a batch number on the back and it weighs more than mine. So looks like only mine seems to be fake. I'm going to ask her to get it to me anyways before I go to Sephora this weekend just to make sure. 

I saw on another forum that a shopper had bought fake stuff from 3rd party before, then she went and bought the real product from sephora and returned them with the fake product inside. Terrible! But maybe that is what happened and they never double checked before re-stocking it onto their shelves. Hopefully this was just an isolated incident.

I'll keep everyone updated on what happens at the store. cheers.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 63 replies
  • 87 hearts
  • 32 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • prettyinpa
    • melanito
    • emmaclaire
    • sephoralovex
    • misscg