elisetrinh

fake products being sold at Sephora

[ Edited ]

A warning to others out there!

I purchased two naked2 palettes last week at the Pacific Centre location in Vancouver, BC that I was surprised to discover were fakes. As soon as I opened the package at home I noticed something was off. The mirror was wonky, the half baked was a completely different tone than the one I have in my naked 1. After comparing it with a friend's, it was 100% confirmed. The lettering on the front of mine is black vs the grey of the authentic one, and the pots are thinner. The palette feels much lighter and cheaper overall and a bunch of the colours and textures are slightly off. The brush also sucks! The package itself looked fine on the shelf and still came with the lip gloss.

I've always heard of fakes being sold online through 3rd party websites such as amazon and ebay but have never heard of a case of them being sold at an actual Sephora store. I just googled it and the general consensus seems to be that you're safe if you purchase directly from Sephora. This didn't turn out to be true in my case and as much as I love Sephora, I'm going to be weary from now on when I purchase products there and I'd advise others to inspect their products as well before buying.

I'll be making the trip to the store this weekend to show them and hopefully they will be able to make it right.  :/

edit2:

Just got the 2nd palette I bought for my mom. Hers is definitely real and mine is definitely wrong.. I can't believe I didn't notice this at the store! But I just grabbed the two top palettes and went straight to the check-out.

The weight difference is from the mirror. The fake one is just a thin plastic reflector that is wonky but the other is a real mirror.

All the swatches are a little off but most noticeably Half Baked and Busted(which I was super excited about as it was my fav when I tried my friends. When I tried the fake one I was soo disappointed)

A rep from the Sephora location just called me and asked me to bring the palettes in and they will take care of it. It's not local to me so I can't just drive there but hopefully I can bring it in soon. Will keep everyone updated. Cheers.

naked1.jpgnaked2.jpgnaked3.jpgnaked4.jpgnaked5.jpg

latinadiva

Re: fake products being sold at Sephora

That is EXACTLY what I was going to say happened, but I wasn't sure if Sephora restocks any unused products. If they do, I would say that is probably exactly the case..someone ordered it off of a third party site, got a fake, and brought it to Sephora to get a new one.

Spyski

And now everyone goes to check their Naked 2 palette.

prettyinpa

I'm glad I got mine from UD right when it first came out and it's still going strong. 

Eek, what will they think of next?

viviene23

[ Edited ]

I got duped before too but with a chanel lipstick...I ran out of one of my fave color which is monte carlo and they were out of stock at my local store so I decided to buy it from amazon together with other things that I needed from there...when I got it, something was off...I really think it was a fake. The color looked similar but more orange  and it was more like a drying sticky lip balm. The metal part of the tube was thinner like an aluminum and it was lighter too. If they faked that, i'm not surprised that they fake naked palettes too since it is more popular and pricier than chanel lipsticks. Sephora wouldn't sell a fake product, I think it's either a manufacturing error or a returned item they exchange with a fake.

aviscardi

Faked Dupes on amazon are more likely than buying from a company or authorized seller direct

viviene23

[ Edited ]

I agree that's why I never bought makeup there again! Lesson learned but it cost me $35 + shipping cost!!

aviscardi

definitely. thats crazy you couldn't return it? or email them about it being fake?

ellevee09

wow! this is crazy! "/ hope you get it all sorted out hun

mkupgk

This is ridiculous, sephora NEVER would sell fakes. 

beautylovingirl

Instead of it being fake could you not have maybe gotten a really old one or something all the things you've described are sounding like it was really old and not fake.

annonymous1

Maybe you could have gotten a messed up batch? one time i bought daisy from sephora and ive been buying it for sometime now and the new one just didnt smell as good, so i went back and they told me the batch expired and they refunded me right away i was so thankful

candacebt

Hi elisetrinh - FYI, The Naked2 palette just went through a repackaging, which made the palette lighter. It seems as if you got one of the new repackaged ones, but definitely take it back to the store and compare them. We've also reached out to the brand.

Thanks for posting!

elisetrinh

The store isn't local to me but I'll be passing through on Friday again and will try getting it sorted out then. I have had nothing but positive experiences shopping at Sephora in the past but this experience has left me very disappointed. I'll be double checking products from now on before purchase and just wanted to share the story in case others others may wish to do so too.

sephoralovex

I would bring it back to Sephora and show them and ask them about it.

janinebt

Hmm it looks nearly exactly the same as the Urban Decay 2 palette that we carry. But just respond to the message I've sent you to chat about this.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
elisetrinh

just edited my original post to add some pictures.

elisetrinh

sure I'll post some pictures in just a second. I don't have a real one right now to do side by side comparisons so it may be hard to spot but I'll show what I can. 

janinebt

Hi elisetrinh,

I'll send you a message to chat with you about this. Respond when you can.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
ezinabee

Good to know.. I just ordered one online.

crayzeeRN

I wouldn't be worried. Sephora is a highly reputable company. I'm guessing this is an isolated incident, probably from an employee that came into contact with this merchandise at the specific location elisetrinh mentioned. There are dishonorable people out there, Sephora is not such a company, and considering you are buying directly from the warehouse I don't think you should have any issues.

aviscardi

yup. or factory defect

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 63 replies
  • 87 hearts
  • 32 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • prettyinpa
    • melanito