mafan

Would you buy Limited Edition makup packaging?

I see Lancome has some new limited packaging out for mascara and eyeshadow.  This is the picture from email that I got, which only shows mascara:

mascara.jpg

but you can see here that there is eyeshadow, too: http://www.sephora.com/lancome

Personally I can't see worrying about limited edition mascara.  You shouldn't keep it for a very long time, and it's not like it's a limited edition formula.  It's also not something that I would end up displaying somewhere.  Maybe the shadows would be different, since for me a shadow palette would last longer and the colors/combo might be limited as well.

I know this sounds funny from someone who has all 3 big Disney palettes, but I can see there that even if you used up the shadows you would still have the packaging.  (I will say that I like the Disney style much more than this Lancome style, too.)

For me, a special edition perfume bottle would be different -- I have enough that bottles stay around a while and even empty ones would be pretty to display.  I just can't get my head around a limited edition mascara unless I liked the brand and/or needed a new mascara anyway.

So, would you buy mascara because it was in limited edition packaging?

lolo01

Re: Would you buy Limited Edition makup packaging?

(0) Hearts

I got a few items from Barbie line back in 2006-07 ? and I also did give in to 3 items from Marilyn Collection,,, hard to resist :smileyhappy:

brittieeee

For me the only brand that tempts me with their Limited Editions is MAC, which comes out with several every year.  There lipsticks, for example, in the LE will only be available for a very short time before they sell out.  Their Rhianna collection lipstick went online a little while back and sold-out in an hour. MAC's LE's are also usually around the same retail price of their permanent makeup. 

This past winter, I picked up a couple lipsticks from their Marilyn Monroe Collection which features LE colors as well as packaging that attracted Marilyn Monroe memorabilia collectors who just wanted the makeup for her image on the packaging.  Sadly, this is long sold-out except for buying on the internet like ebay.  I love just looking at it!mm mac.jpg

bananachoox3

(0) Hearts

I would if I happened to need it at the moment, but sometimes I'm a sucker for cute packaging. If it is something that is a must have in my makeup collection and its the same price, why not? But other than that probably not.

CzaCee

Yep, I actually do. Packaging is one of the factors that gets me sold on a product. I'm always in the hunt whenever Mac has this special packaging going on. Can't wait for December to get Riri Woo in its uber posh special packaging!

starletta8

OK, I looked at the mascaras individually on the site.

Guys, they're really cute.  I could be talked into having a super cute mascara if I wasn't on a no-buy.  Especially the stars!

garnett

[ Edited ]

I was in Macy's with my friend on Saturday and she was paying her charge at the Lancome counter.  While she was paying, the sales rep asked if we wanted to purchase one of these Limited  Edition mascaras.  She went on and on about it being a collector's item.  She was kinda acting like only an ignorant slob of a person would pass up such an opportunity. I asked her if it cost more than the regular product and she actually said, "Yes, and it's a privilege to be able to PROCURE such an exquisite item"   My friend and I just looked at each other and laughed.  To be truthful, we were laughing at her-not the product.  I mean come on, we are talking about mascara, not the Hope diamond. I am so happy I never encounter this kind of ridiculous talk at Sephora. 

I would not pay extra for a designer tube of mascara BUT if it makes you happy then treat yourself to something that will make you smile.

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Does anybody know if Sephora gives their employees commission when they sell items? I always wondered why some makeup counters are more "pushy" then others.

keelybt

@Spyski No, Sephora employees aren't on commission.  From my experience working at a makeup counter, there was commission but it was pretty low. If you are seeing some people be pushy at a makeup counter, it's likely more due to making a sales goal than increasing their commission.

Spyski

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the input :smileyhappy:

mafan

It's funny, I had a card in my bag from my GWP from Lancome at Macy's a while ago and saw something about an event Saturday.  I didn't have time (or that much interest) to stop when I was at the mall.  When I got email later and saw what it was about, I was glad I skipped it -- I expected this type of sell.  I love the "privilege to be able to PROCURE such an exquisite item"!  I agree, if you like the style it's cute, but it's not the Hope diamond.  The sales people at some of those counters just drive me crazy. 

(I love a good gift with purchase, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather shop at Sephora any day!  At least you can get your Limited Edition mascara without the hard sell. :smileyhappy: )

arielaaaaaaaa

Oh my. The lengths Sales people will go to just to get you to buy something!

starletta8

LOL, that's priceless!

ChicDabbler

Two word: Sephora Disney collection

...ok, that's 3 word.

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Yes, but there's a few durable products that are limited edition (perfume bottles, mirrors, etc) that are a little different, IMO.

This is the same as all of the pretty pink bottles that come out in October...

drrragon

(0) Hearts

what little pink bottles?  

starletta8

drrragon- I'm referring to how almost every product turns pink in October (down to hairspray!) for BCA Month.  Many do have charitable donations, many just try to be trendy.

drrragon

ohhh, yeah i see.  i was dying to get the Clinique thing last year (the adorable pink bag and pink chubby lip gloss) but they sold out almost immediately

consolvo

(0) Hearts

If I was in the market for one of the Lancome mascaras, I might very well pop for the extra $2 just because I think they are super cute!

mafan

Actually, depending on the place the little pink bottles often have money going to charity for the same basic price. I'd see this as more interesting if it was being done for some charity instead of being more expensive packaging. 

arielaaaaaaaa

I agree with perfume and mirrors being a good buy when limited edition!! I bought my sister a Viva La Juicy Perfume at Macy's cause it was a Fancy limited edition bottle! 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 31 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • drrragon
    • consolvo
    • ChicDabbler
    • mafan