Why would anyone wear black lipstick

vanityprincess

Why would anyone wear black lipstick

I understand for the purpose of catwalks and Edgy fashion modeling, and halloween, but I can't find a good reason why any women would wear it out. Multiple studies show that men think red lipstick is okay but find it to be a turn off because it makes a woman look less "kissable." So imagine how a deep satin black is going to make them feel. I just don't understand, you shouldn't wear it. It's not flattering and if we are in highschool it sreams "trying to hard" I feel like bright red lipstick is only barley acceptable for highschool, because it will only look non-sultry if the rest of your makeup is toned down.

comfyrock

Re: Why would anyone wear black lipstick

Sorry, girls. :smileyvery-happy:

jozkid

Forgiven!

LindenAnn

Yeah...I have no problem eating during talk/visuals/etc of gross stuff anymore. >.>

mlmac

I love a nice red lip.  But I think black lips, if done well, are amazing.  I'm such a huge fan of them.  And I've never been one to decide on lip color/eyeshadow color or even clothing because a man may or may not think it's attractive.  I wear my makeup and clothes in a way where I can feel comfortable and express myself. 

mdelrosario91

I don't think it is anyone's business to decide what is "flattering" on someone. If people kept their closed-minded opinions to themselves, this world would be a much better place. 

comfyrock

Closed mind, open mouth; interesting coincidence :smileywink:

1SultrySCENTNut

(0) Hearts

.......AND just because you sometimes have black nails and black lipstick DOES NOT mean that you are GOTHIC.

( sorry about the caps, I appologize - I am not screaming at anyone - I have a tendacy to use caps to put emphasis on words, no hard feelings even to the people ( you know who you are ) that have come up with a very sad and lame excuse to make me feel that I am not wanted , what I write is always wrong, and I am not good or special enough to have the Sephora Promo codes shared with me all because I gave some info. to just ONE PERSON because I thought it was needed for some events or ect. )

Many people wear their favorite colors alot or change their polish to match their jewelry and/or accesories, sometimes not to match the jewelry but to match their pumps,outfit,or a pair of stockings that are a completly opposite color than their main outfit.

I dont know why, but this post has really gotten to me and I feel like the person who wrote it is being discriminatory or a social racist. If we all had to dress just one way and only wear one color that generally pleases everyone, it really sounds alot like a utopian / communist country. I remember when we were fighting communism 30 some years ago or longer.

calamityjane85

"( you know who you are ) that have come up with a very sad and lame excuse to make me feel that I am not wanted , what I write is always wrong, and I am not good or special enough to have the Sephora Promo codes shared with me all because I gave some info. to just ONE PERSON because I thought it was needed for some events or ect. )"

Please drop this whole bit, it is not because you are not "good or special" enough. We don't trust you because you share so much information willingly on various threads here. It is not because you gave your info to a team leader and you know it. 

Also bold and italics are great for putting emphasis on words, and express importance of the words without yelling :smileyhappy: 

killahbabe

[ Edited ]

*Throws meme wildly and vigorously into the air*

PantsonFire.jpg

calamityjane85

*bumps meme in air like a volleyball*

ShinyMagpie

[ Edited ]

^^^ ALL the hearts for you Calamity! :smileyhappy:

love2shop42

Absolutely agree! So tired of the pity party. 

shortstuff07

I think the short answer is:  Because we can!  If I'm off work, on my own time, I will wear whatever I darn well please!  I could give a flying hootenanny about what anyone else thinks!  My face, my rules.  

Spoiler
I don't own a straight up black lipstick, but I do wear OCC's Little Black Dress.  It's edgy and fun, and it's nice to be a little different in a sea of pastels.  Plus it's layerable with other shades, giving it nice dimension.  :smileyhappy:

Spoiler
Also, red lipstick does not equal sultry.  It can be fun, youthful, whatever you want.  Stop pigeonholing your beauty routine, you'll have way more fun!

Spoiler
I also checked with the conservative Southern s/o, he said he wouldn't like it for the same reason he doesn't like my other lip products; it gets all over his face and he dislikes that.

Do check the spoilers!

comfyrock

You made my morning with this post. :smileyhappy:  Need to work "flying hootenanny" into a conversation today.

IAmLadyLiterary

Okay I have a couple points to make, all of which the ladies already have.  I love black lipstick, I am trying to get my hands on Manic Panic Raven and I am ordering OCC Tarred.  Neither of these is something I would wear to work because I work reception.  But the colour is fantastic for going out!  When everyone else is wearing red, pink, orange and berry, I have no problem being bold and doing something like black.  I have a bright lipstick obsession, I love bright red lips, orange lips, neon pink lips, raspberry lips, purple lips (radiant orchidgasm anyone?), I just love bright lipstick.  So why not black?  

Secondly, I wear makeup for me, because it makes me feel fabulous and because I love playing with makeup, those days where I get some extra time to do my eyes and do really full coverage foundation are my favourite because I feel like I get to play and it is fun for me.  Not to mention I get a huge confidence boost while wearing bright lips.  Last time I went out shopping I wore Too Faced La Creme in Jelly Bean and I got so many compliments.  There is nothing wrong with bright lipstick, I especially love red lipstick.  

And what is wrong with sultry makeup  My motto with makeup is there is no right or wrong, let your freak flag fly and own your pretty, whatever that may me.

1SultrySCENTNut

I have a valid question to ask : Can you provide the link to this Survey,or tell us what magazine/newspaper/book that you read this survey in about the study that shows men prefer a certain color that makes them want you and want to kiss you.

After I first responded to this post, I had the opportunity to ask 9 men,between the age of 20 - 52,to read this post and give me their complete and honest answer.These are your normal,everyday men you would randomly see them anywhere in anytown. They all agreed that the color of lipstick does not matter to them.Make up in general does not matter to them.The only thing that matters to them is that you like to have fun and do not force them to do things they hate doing and if they find you pretty without make up and they can see the real you not a mask of make up then they think your "kissable" ( lol..the guys I asked did not use the word kissabe, I am just trying to keep my response clean...instead of kissable they said a few different things and they all had a laugh and went back to playing a game of pool in the room next to where I am and I could see them and talk to them.

so, there is the answer, if a man wants you, he wants to see the real you under the make up and they really do not like lipstick because they do not like getting it all over themselves.That was agreed on by all 9 men who are visiting and playing pool in the old "office room" the prior owners had.

annec322

[ Edited ]

First of all, I agree with the other posters here in that I do not make my makeup decisions based on what men like.  But even if this was a world in which I did care what men wanted me to wear, I have heard many men say red lipstick is their favorite.  I feel like color preferences vary highly amongst both women and men.  I like trying new things and I wear every color I think I can pull off.  If someone can pull off black lipstick, kudos to them and no judgement from me!

itscarin

1. Nobody gives a $#*@ what men think.  We don't get pretty for men.  We get pretty for ourselves and other women.  Men have very low standards.  If you show up and talk to them, they're already happy.

2. Black lipstick, just like any other unusual color/product, is fun to wear because it's a challenge.  Everyone wears a nude lipstick.  Not everyone has the confidence to pull off a black lipstick.

3. Variety is the spice of life.  It's fun to do something different and stand out.

1SultrySCENTNut

( Sorry my " L " key is sticking, I have been promised a new laptop by the guy who stepped on my Widescreen Toshiba Pro and stupid me, did not buy the insurance so I am actually borrowing his until he has saved up to replace mine with the one he told me to pick out, any one I want because he fees bad about what he did )

Anyway, I forgot to add this to what I was saying earier about people and their own personal,unique style. As far as wearing a color just because a man thinks that while I am wearing it that makes me kissable is a complete pile of "compost". If a man wants to kiss you, he is not going to care what you have on,infact a man would rather see a woman nude, all jokes aside. Spending money just to impress others is a waste because the " IT " item changes daily,especially when you are a teenager,so buy what you like and what makes you happy because your the one who just spent $35 on a high end lipstick that you are going to have to eventually use up,not just use it one or two times. This is not 1955, when a woman would wake up an hour or more just to put her face on, take out her curlers and style her hair,put on a gurdle with matching panties and thigh high stockings,and finally a dress that looks good with the make up she chose for the day with jewelry and heels that match the dress. Im thankful that women are not expected to do this anymore! Her husband would get up, get ready, eat th breakfast and fresh coffee the woman sat down on the table in front of where he sits ( this went for Blue collar workers, not just white collar ) and read the paper she brought inside.He would leave for work and she would do all she could to make the house spottless, all while trying not to ruin her look and she was still wearing heels.Then it was time to start the roast and potatoes,fresh bread, a dessert timed just right so when her husband returned home at 5pm, dinner would be served while he sat at the table waiting for his wife to fix his plate but before all of that she woud have to meet him with his slippers and a mixed drink to relax..

Now after reading this, doesnt it make you happy that if you feel like wearing black lipstick you can and you are free to be as unique as you like ? It highly proves we do not live in a world where we do not have to be the stepford wives !!

ShinyMagpie

While I think I understand what you're trying to say...

Woah! Way to go off on a tangent there Batman! :smileyhappy:

focusgrasshopper.jpg

love2shop42

Made my day! LOL!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 109 replies
  • 476 hearts
  • 63 in conversation
    • makeupmaven