vanityprincess

Why would anyone wear black lipstick

I understand for the purpose of catwalks and Edgy fashion modeling, and halloween, but I can't find a good reason why any women would wear it out. Multiple studies show that men think red lipstick is okay but find it to be a turn off because it makes a woman look less "kissable." So imagine how a deep satin black is going to make them feel. I just don't understand, you shouldn't wear it. It's not flattering and if we are in highschool it sreams "trying to hard" I feel like bright red lipstick is only barley acceptable for highschool, because it will only look non-sultry if the rest of your makeup is toned down.

LindenAnn

Re: Why would anyone wear black lipstick

Gorgeous as always IttyBitty. :smileyhappy: You can rock any shade you want, everything looks good on those lips!

ilovebears

That black lipstick looks absolutely fabulous on you! :smileyhappy:

quotidianus

Here, here!!!  Oh, and I agree with jojobe... You seem to be able to pull off any color beautifully!

SydBristow

The black lipstick looks cool but OMG I love the yellow shadow - stunning!! :smileyhappy:

jojobe

Itty bitty, I don't think I have seen a color I DON'T like on you.  It is nice that you care of there is a preference for your man but sometimes you have to do what you want. It is all about personal expression. If you don't like it you can choose not to wear it but you should not condemn someone because of their makeup choices even if they are considered poor to your taste 

SydBristow

Is this question for reals or did I just travel through the TV remote to Pleasantville? :smileyhappy:

Makeup and fashion are artistic and a means of self expression. As an artist in another medium, I don't ask myself "what might everyone wish to see?" but instead I create based on my interests and inspiration. There are whole worlds of different types of art out there, and appreciation is 100% subjective. No matter what you do you will never create something that everybody likes, nor something that everybody dislikes. But hopefully you have created something that YOU like, regardless of what others think. 

P.S. I used to wear RED lipstick years ago and a shocking number of guys were extremely drawn to it. Now I like more of a dark plum lip color but I also like to vary my look from day to day.

Urbie

Bwahahha, Syd, that was my initial reaction also :smileyhappy:

Urbie

I'm gonna chime in here with a raised eyebrow and confused expression.  I don't put on make up to please ANYONE except myself, so if I feel like wearing black, I will wear it.  I used to wear black lipstick occasionally when I was younger because it was edgy, different, and fun.  While I don't often wear lipstick anymore in any shade (although I've been branching out a little thanks to free samples), I certainly never choose a shade to look more "kissable", I choose it because it matches my mood, or maybe my outfit, or just for fun.

Sidenote: I'm curious about what "studies" you are referencing.  If you are talking about man-on-the-street quizzes from some magazine, that is hardly science.  In general, I've found that most of the advice found in Cosmo, Elle, Seventeen or similar is pretty ridiculous when it comes to anything involving romance.

quotidianus

Well, there's also a study out there which says that men are most aroused by the smell of pumpkin, but I'm not dousing myself in it.  For women, I think it was Good n' Plenty candy (haha!)?  Let's try asking men (or women, your preference!) to carry some around in their pockets ...

Panda168

(0) Hearts

I hate the way good n plenty smells lol

Urbie

Oh man, now I know.  Instead of perfume, I'm just carrying around a can of pumpkin from now on!

jozkid

Just a little pumpkin pie filling behind the ears, Urbie... those boys will go wild! :smileyvery-happy:

quotidianus

I'm just stealing this guy's idea.

pumpkin_helmet.jpg

YouAreAlways

:heart: :heart:

ChristiH

This thread made me smile. My 7 year old daughter was with me in Sephora and she was so excited to see black lipstick. She did her own little swatch on her arm and told me she wants it! I'm now contemplating getting a black lippy for her to wear on the weekends. Makeup is all about joy right? 

Panda168

(0) Hearts

I love it! That's super adorable :smileyhappy:

emmaclaire

That is flippin' ADORABLE and I'm so excited that you're teaching your daughter to respect her own beauty and personal aesthetic from such a young age.  I say get her the black lipstick and tell her to wear it with pride!

sautoir

not flattering? oh boy, i darted up frantically yelling, "wrong! WRONG!!" in my head as soon as i read that bit. i adore black lipstick. it makes my teeth look so radiant and white and makes my baby face look much more mature and sophisticated.

i live in las vegas and get TONS of compliments whenever i wear it when i'm out--from everyone from the edgier folks to suburban soccer moms, the lovely people at the sephoras on the strip, and even the sales associates at places like saks and nordstrom! there's nothing wrong with looking edgy or gothy but even still it's completely possible to rock it without giving off that vibe anyway!

also, in the same vein the other folks here have mentioned, i don't care if a man (or woman or anyone else for that matter) thinks it's flattering or approves of it. it's always nice if someone does like your makeup but why should i care if they don't? i'm wearing it for me! it's an empowering medium that i use to make myself look exactly how i want, whenever i want, and i'm not about to undermine that anytime soon by letting other people decide what i should do with my appearance.

in any case, my boyfriend thinks i look most kissable when i'm happy! since black lipstick makes me feel happy and confident, well, you know! and, as he says, he could always kiss my cheek, nose, forehead, etc., if not my lips! hehehe

Meg82

I think it's pretty bs to be planning your makeup to please a man.  I used to wear a lot of black lipstick in middle school, it made me feel stronger and more badass.  Maybe I was trying too hard, but who cares because I felt great.

LCResz

Honestly, women dress up, buy handbags and shoes, and wear makeup more to impress other women than to impress men! I know when I get a new shade of lipstick or start using a new purse it will barely register on my husband's radar unless I hint that something is new, but my girlfriends will oooh and ahhh without fail!

Hair, on the other hand, gets noticed by everybody, weird huh?

Vacay32

I have never worn black lipstick and never will. Though I dont even wear red lipstick. Ive never been bold in my lip choices. :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 109 replies
  • 476 hearts
  • 63 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • vanityprincess
    • itscarin
    • kenny
    • sephoramusthave
    • killahbabe