vanityprincess

Why would anyone wear black lipstick

I understand for the purpose of catwalks and Edgy fashion modeling, and halloween, but I can't find a good reason why any women would wear it out. Multiple studies show that men think red lipstick is okay but find it to be a turn off because it makes a woman look less "kissable." So imagine how a deep satin black is going to make them feel. I just don't understand, you shouldn't wear it. It's not flattering and if we are in highschool it sreams "trying to hard" I feel like bright red lipstick is only barley acceptable for highschool, because it will only look non-sultry if the rest of your makeup is toned down.

LCResz

Re: Why would anyone wear black lipstick

Last fall I picked up the Gunmetal Luminizer from Estée Lauder. By itself it is a sparkly black lipstick (well, more like silver/black) but over other lipsticks it adds a very cool dimension to my look. I suppose if you wear black eyeliner along with black lipstick it could be a lot of look, but why should eyes have all the fun in the edgy department? image.jpg

nebel

I don't think many of us give two flips what men think about our makeup.

It sort of sounds like you're trying to understand why someone else in your school is dressing a certain way.  It is probably just because he or she likes it.  To each her own.  It isn't up for any of us to judge what anyone else likes to wear if they don't ask for our input.

I went through a goth "phase"  (is it a phase if it lasts over a decade?)  and I wore plenty of black lipstick, purple lipstick, glitter lipstick... you name it I probably put it on my face.  I had great fun! I still have lipsticks of all colors in my kit, and I'm 30.

In the end, that's what makeup is about-- Having fun and doing what feels good. 

momo

You made me smile when you said "is it a phase if it lasts over a decade," ha! I think I went through the same thing... sometimes I can't tell if I got out of it completely... : )

nebel

For sure, it will always be a part of who I am :smileyhappy: I like to think as I matured I got a little more fashonable (Part of what drew me to the goth scene was the fashion and how it emulated designers like McQueen that I couldn't hope to afford... still can't, but I can get closer!)  I also like playing with color a lot more now! 

Audacity

[ Edited ]

Black is edgy, it's different. I wear true red as well. I love it personally. I wear one or the other on a daily basis. I'm comfortable with it and am certainly not wearing for anyone but myself. I'll be a senior in highschool. Woman should be able to wear whatever colour they please. I say if it makes you happy, go for it, lovely.

janinebt

I feel like black lipstick is just a step away from the ever-so-popular dark plum lip trend. I would probably reserve such a bold color for the evening time or perhaps to a concert/special event. It's certainly a statement color; but then again so are yellow, orange, mint, and purple lipsticks...all of which are pretty popular for spring right now. 

I think a bold lip is a refreshing change from vibrant eye shadow. 

Whimsically yours,
Janine
Cat588

I personally wouldn't wear black lipstick because I don't think I'd be able to pull it off. But if someone wore simple makeup on the rest of the face and a glossy black lip, I think it'd look pretty modern and edgy!

Props to you ladies who can rock the black lips and be proud! :smileyhappy:

emmaclaire

Because not everyone puts on makeup to look mainstream?  And certainly not everyone puts on makeup to try to appeal to men!  Personally, I don't give a darn what "most men" think when it comes to my makeup.

xxanastasiax

(0) Hearts

I worked at Sephora seasonally, and the way the store you went to handled this situation was terrible in terms of customer service. Sephora has a return policy which allows you to return items without a receipt. Sephora also values good customer service highly. There is no reason you should have been shamed and constantly questioned as to why you were returning items. It's normal for the SA to ask why you are returning and if you have used the product, but it's not normal for them to make you feel ashamed (at least not at the Sephora where I worked).

Also, you're a Rouge. This means you spend a large amount of money at Sephora, and you should definitely be allowed to use the return policy without being shamed for it. 

Don't be embarrassed to go back to that Sephora. If the SAs act weird just ignore it and shop. Honestly they probably won't remember the interaction unless you look super distinctive, and even then only a few SAs were involved in the transaction. 

As other people said, ways to avoid this type of situation are to sample products you can sample (and read reviews online), take in only a few returns at a time (this will help the SAs out because the return won't take a large hit on their sales that day so they're not as likely to be upset/suspicious), and hold on to receipts. 

Overall I'm sorry you had a bad experience at Sephora and that you've gotten such negative responses. Sephora is an amazing company and I hope that this hasn't effected your feelings towards the company permanently. 

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

wtf are you talking about

notcreative

(0) Hearts

Lol.  I am following the thread she meant to post the above comment too.  btw, That Estee Lauder shade above looks stunning.  I would love to swatch it.

NurseCupcake

This looks like it was supposed to be a response to another thread was posted earlier today. 

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

Oh duh lol sorry, I skimmed the response and had no idea what was going on.  This is a really old thread so I'm not sure how it got confused with the most recent one.  Other than xxanastasiax going through my activity for the past year and getting confused, which is a little out there.

daniim

If I wear teal Apocalips by Illamasqua on a day-to-day basis, what's wrong with wearing black? Just because you personally can't find a good reason, doesn't mean the ladies who wear it can't find a good reason themselves. I've worn Apocalips to high school, as well as red to school on many occasions. Granted, I was doing Rockabilly looks but I do Rockabilly looks often and I'm careful with my red. Black is fun and can be fun. You can do a lot with black and it can be a nice change from dark berries that are borderline black or any other usual color. Purple is the same way: sometimes, I wonder why women wear purple lipstick (I don't mean berry, I mean purple) but it makes them happy and I wish I could do purple but it would possibly wash me out. If it bothers you, then don't use or wear it. You may not approve but other people find it attractive! Oh, and I don't wear red for men, I wear it for me. Me, myself and I. I could care less what a man thinks of my lipstick.

AndreaKHaid

I don't wear lipstick for men. That notion is very offensive to me, that a woman would only dress to be attractive to a man. To rebel against that disgusting stereotype and to express myself, to feel wild and unique, to rail against society's expectations is why I wear black lipstick. It's not the only colour I wear, I also have shades of pink, coral, purple, orange and red.

victorirazz

Black lipstick can be very theatrical, and you have to have the rest of your look, and skin color complement it. It just doesn't work on me because I have yellow-ish undertones and brown hair (ick). Black sucks up all color, so you have to be careful with it. It's best sported by people in music and movies, but if you can rock it like a rockstar, the more power to you!

A great dark and romantic alternative are plum colors which can look great in the winter, and more subtle when something a bit more sheer. Fresh's Plum Tinted Lip is really nice and subtle. I personally have been dying to try Clinque's Black Honey, which also looks like a nice plum shade for a lipgloss.

My favorite use of black lipstick:  Anna Tsuchiya's character in "Kamikaze Girls". It's all about the attitude!

momo

(0) Hearts

Kamikaze Girls! <3

makeupmaven

Yep, personally I only think that black/ super dark lipstick works on very pale and dark complexions. Totally washes out yellow complexions...probably the closest I would personally do is a deep burgundy (at least for full coverage lipstick).

However if you can pull this off whether at the club or for a photoshoot or if you're bold enough to walk around the city like this (you really should be dressing the part which is more suitable in cities), big up!

peppep

I can only speak for myself. I love black lipstick, the color adds an extra fineness to my complexion. I only wear black lipstick. I am not Gothic I like what I like. I feel that dark lips are sexy, and not the dark lips from smoking those nasty smelling cigarettes.

kimmi1115

The only time I've worn black lipstick was for Halloween.  I was dressed one year as a dead prom queen and the next year a midnight corpse bride.  For living costumes, I'd avoid black unless I'm going as a KISS groupie lol.

sephoramusthave

I completely agree and I personally would never ever wear that color on my lips. But I also think that everyone has a right to wear whatever they want and if that is what they like, then others disapproval shouldnt stop them.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 109 replies
  • 476 hearts
  • 63 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • vanityprincess
    • itscarin
    • kenny
    • sephoramusthave
    • killahbabe