ChicDabbler

Which Dior eyeshadow palette would you recommend?

[ Edited ]

Ok ok, so all the talk of Dior got me obsessed. I'm thinking of getting one (just one, mind you, I don't want to live on Ramen for the whole holiday season). I like matte, light and/or warm colors in general, but I would like a well-rounded collection, so I was wondering which of these would you recommend:
- Dior Golden Flower

Dior-Holiday-2013-Quints2.jpg

- Dior Rosy Tan

upload_9167084574783791361.jpg

- Dior Incognito (choice eliminated, ignore this one)

upload_3634135311636182948.jpg

The colors differ so greatly depending on lighting/swatches, but none of them are super dark.

Currently I have these eye palettes:

- Tarte True Blood (mostly use left and top side)
- UD Deluxe Shadow Box (got 2 of these, so no more bold colors for me, lol)
- UD Glinda (love the peach and the duo)

upload_281751517347129251.jpgupload_4612591895133185314.jpgupload_8009112672147933003.jpg

My favorite eyeshadow color is Covergirl Sunrise.

upload_1422007297406959244.jpg

And that's that. Which of the 3 Dior mentioned would you recommend to round out the collection?

Thanks!

PoesRevy

Re: Which Dior eyeshadow palette would you recommend?

Thanks beautytester for posting all the swatches. Much appreciated :smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Yay final verdict about Dior eyeshadows. Anyways, I posted swatches of Golden Flower, which looks gorgeous but the colors are a bit too "soft". I finally had a chance to go to a store and swatch Rosy Tan, Earth Reflection and Incognito today!

2013-11-07 10.39.51.jpg2013-11-07 10.39.30.jpg

Rosy Tan and Earth Reflection both have great color payoff! ER's light colors are a bit more shimmery than RT, which is probably a better overall choice since it have a medium shade.  It takes a bit more effort to get color out of Incognito, like Golden Flower. 

Final verdict is that Dior eyeshadows blends well, have that almost glow shimmer rather than shiny or glitter shimmer, and the construction is of wonderful quality. However, the color pay off is a hit or miss, so it's a good choice but do try to swatch before you buy. I returned Golden Flower, but I will be keeping an eye on future collections. QED

DTalksAll

If you're not loving it, I say return it. It's too much money to spend on an item you're not crazy about. Put that money towards something you'll actually want to use. 

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Got my Dior palette today! It's wrapped in a mile of butcher paper and there's a sheet of instruction in a dozen languages, and the palette comes in a velvet pouch:

2013-10-31 21.04.32.jpg

When I open the palette, I love all the colors in it! They look exactly like colors I want, but when I swatched them with fingers.....

2013-10-31 21.08.14.jpgThere's the 4 shades and the glitter center. They were sheerer than expected. When I use a brush, it's the same:

2013-10-31 21.13.28.jpgYou can definitely see the colors, altho the pink one is very close to my skintone so kind of hard to see on the lid (white under brow, pink on lid, light/dark brown on inner/outer corner)

2013-10-31 21.41.03.jpg

The colors come out a big more than in the picture, but still not close to the intensity in the palette (unless I use an eye primer and pack the shadow on with the sponge included probably). It's great for a shimmery (or glitter) neutral look and ppl who are heavy handed since you can't overdo it. Not sure how I feel about it, I guess we will see after I wear it a few days. 

viviene23

[ Edited ]

wow...they look more pigmented on the pan than the swatches :-(

how does the glittery shade rate? any heavy fallout?

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Hahaha, I attempted to rinse off the shadow as I was posting and stuff so I got Dior glitter all over my phone (holiday spirit?). I haven't properly worn it yet so I'm going to try out various looks with the shades (including glitter) this week and will report back (along with swatches of Rosy Tan for comparison) next week.

The good thing about it is that you can't overdo it and it is high quality, so if you have a heavy hand or is hard on your makeup, this is great. I'm a minimalist when it comes to makeup anyways, so I'm not wowed by it yet.

DTalksAll

I find some Dior palettes to really lack pigmentation. I returned incognito & got an UD naked palette instead... much better investment. 

I do love stylish move- which is purples, but they aren't as pigmented as you'd think they would be, but perfect for a purple smoke. 

And you will have fallout with the major shimmer shades

sugarluvv

I like earth reflection.  

ChicDabbler

Ok, just ordered Golden Flower (feels like most browns are red/grey undertone or have a silver sheen while I like ones with gold/orange sheen). It's free return (return shipping's free too) on Nordstrom so it should be ok. I might compare swatches of it with Rosy Tan next time I'm in Sephora.

ps. Am I the only one who's paranoid/suspicious of people placing order for me when they keep getting things wrong? I didn't see it on the website so had to order through live chat (or you can do it over the phone) and she spelled half of my name wrong and had typo several times..... >.>

roxystar4

beautytester- I freak out a little when i order via phone because I do fear the rep will mess it up (i guess I feel like, since it's not their order, it's not as important to them as it is to me). 

Im sure it will be fine though! Would love to hear what you think about golden flower when you receive it

jellybean917

I had that issue with Victoria's Secret when I ordered over the phone. I was nervous for days that I wouldn't get my stuff! There was a slight misspelling in my name, but I got the package. Good luck! Hold onto the tracking info

carolang

Golden flower! LE and looks warmer and I think I prefer the shimmery gold in the middle vs the powdery white in the middle of rosy tan (I personally never use those colors in palettes). I have an old LE Dior palette and love it...now I want one of the Lancôme quints!  The only thing I will say about rosy tan is that I think the darkest color looks prettier I like that is more burgundy than brown. Good luck choosing!

ashleynne

[ Edited ]

Rosey tan! The other light colors from the different palette are extremely sheer and barely show up.

I was extremely disappointed with the tarte trueblood palette. it's literally shoved under one of my dressers. So much fall out and the pigment wasn't where I wanted it to be. Anyone else felt the same way?

ChicDabbler

For Tarte TrueBlood, I mostly use the top/left 2 diagonal and enjoy them. The couple glitter shades in there definitely fall out like snow when I apply them. The dark colors are not opaque/intense and the eggplant/navy/black look pretty much the same on the lid.

I thought about returning it but couldn't, because I brought it the last week of December to qualify for VIB and didn't get it until the new year started, so if I returned it I would lose my VIB status, lol. I was totally in love with the eyeliner included and do enjoy using the top/left side and got it on sale, so it wasn't a bad deal.

melde

The first looks like it has more variety between the shades. If you could swatch in person, though, I would recommend that! It always helps me!

viviene23

Get golden flower because it is limited edition!!! You can save rosy tan for another day. It would be so sad if you get rosy tan and then you decide later you wanted golden flower too and then its sold out...so my vote goes to golden flower. Either way...they are both great eyeshadow palettes...I have rosy tan and I've seen golden flower :-)

ChicDabbler

Oh you've seen both? ok ok, I just need to know two things. 

1. Which one (or are both) of them warm toned? because it looks like rose tan have a cooler tone/sheen than golden flower

2. Which palette have the warm bronze/orange shade similar to the Covergirl sunrise eyeshadow?

viviene23

[ Edited ]

I was allowed a sneak peek of some golden winter collection items...lucky me :-)

Golden flower is warmer for sure. I'm looking at my rosy tan right now and I can say that the bronze is closer to cool brown than warm bronze/orange.

**edit**

I just wanna add...golden flower is quite a bit more shimmery than rosy tan. I dunno if that's dealbreaker for you but just FYI.

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Oh I just saw this. I'm ok with shimmer (most UD shades are shimmery me thinks) but I'm not a big fan of glitter mostly cuz of the fall outs. I think the center shade in Golden Rose might be a glitter, oh well, it's ordered so I'll know when I see it.

ps. @lyravega. The 20% should be early Nov and $20 should be early Dec.

roxystar4

my vote is golden flower too (based on your other palettes & colors you like & use). also that it's LE.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 35 replies
  • 74 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • lyravega
    • ChicDabbler
    • roxystar4
    • ashleynne
    • viviene23