laurynm

What to do with the empties?

I just found the Sephora brand glittery "colorful" eyeshadows. If you buy 4 you get a palette for free (very nice!) the palette has a key to help you pull the pan out of the pot... However, now I have all these pots laying around. Since the eyeshadows were anywhere from 11 to 13$ a piece, it seems a waste to just throw the empty pots away..

What is everyone doing with them?

kalex

Re: What to do with the empties?

Do you have an Origins counter near you?  They accept any brand of empty cosmetics containers for recycling.  They used to give out a free sample when you brought empties in but I'm not sure if they still do or not.  Regardless, you're keeping the bottles out of a landfill!

mkupgk

(0) Hearts

Just throw them away if you have no use for them. 

arielaaaaaaaa

I don't think it's such a waste to throw away empty eyeshawdow pots. When i use up something in a glass jar or something i find it extremely wasteful though. Like OH Walnut scrub, i use it up fast and it's in a cute glass jar. I try and find something else i can use them for.

lylysa

Same here, they become travel jars for me for body lotions or creams when I don't want giant tubes. It's a plus if the glass jars are better quality and thicker as opposed to thin glass which I fear would break unless packaged up well.

arielaaaaaaaa

Yeah the OH ones work good for traveling. They are super think. I love reusing jars! There are a million things you can do with them.

ChicDabbler

I like to keep a couple container of all shapes and sizes for <3.4oz for traveling. I save up the chunky/heavy ones for Origins Earth Day promo after participating last yr, which I shouldn't have cuz 1) they didn't do it this yr and 2) my mom never threw anything away and noticed that "I like collecting jars" so I acquired 10 empty L'occitane Immortelle moisturizer jars when I last went home. =]

lylysa

(0) Hearts

I just finished my Truth cream up too! They make great storage for hand creams or lotions in the car, plastic tubes or bottles can warp or even have the lids/spouts pop in the heat, but the glass jars don't have their shape affected.

lylysa

If you're up for a fun little project you can always create and press your own shadows, using the pots as your containers! Though the pans themselves won't be used, you can find empty pans sold online of the same size and use them if you absolutely need the pan. If not, just mix up the shadow in the well of the pot itself and ta-da! I gave instructions for taking broken or loose pigments and how to create your own pressed powder using just rubbing alcohol! It's a fun and easy way to tote around what shadows that are loose without making a mess in your make up bag.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Eyes/Mineral-shadows-and-pigments/m-p/472115/highlight/true#M2374

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

That's really great! I wish I had some use for my empty pots. I know about the back to mac thing but it would take me *ages* to use up 6 makeup items. Maybe its easier if you have mac skincare or are doing a build your own palette but I don't have either, just lipsticks, single shadows and blushes and I have yet to hit pan on any of my mac stuff let alone use it up completely (its all pretty new, I just got into mac not too long ago). :smileyvery-happy:

laurynm

I'm curious because brands like MAC and Inglot etc that sell shadows for palettes sell them without being in a pot. MAC takes back "empties". 6 for a free specific item in their recycling "back to mac" program. MAC's palette refills are 12$ and pots are 15$.

The pots are pretty hefty, and what I meant by a waste is, its a lot of plastic to throw away.

And to answer your question SephoraMustHave... I never purchased Sephora brand before.. I'm a professional makeup artist and my kits are all predominantly airbrush, MAC, Mehron, Ben Nye etc.  My empty MAC pans I save and use to mix colors in, press pigments etc.. So they are not thrown out. I bought the Sephora brand for myself, because I read a lot of great reviews.

ChicDabbler

Oh that is cute! I keep Sephora sample jars for my sample packets or making sample for friends or experimenting with things or traveling. You can use the pot for crafts, otherwise throw away (if not into the trash, I know Origins boutiques always have a recycle thing for cosmetic so you can throw it in there if it's recyclable).

prettyinpa

If the pots are all plastic, check the bottom of the container for the recycling symbol (a triangle with a number inside it). Most cities and towns have a plastic recycling program- even my small town recycles # 1 and #2 plastics. If you don't know, you can call or check the website of your waste removal service and ask them. If the pots are the right kind of plastic, you can include them in your recycling.

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

I don't think its at all wasteful to throw away an *empty* pot. Its expensive because of the shadow, not because of the packaging, and since you are just moving the shadow from the single pot to the palette and are still planning on using the shadow, then you aren't wasting anything. When you completely use up a makeup item, do you keep the empty packaging or throw it away? When its empty, it trash, or at least it is to me.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 22 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • kalex
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • laurynm
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • lylysa