Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

What are your favorite synthetic brushes?

I'm replacing my older natural hair brushes with synthetics (mostly for ethical reasons). I'm having an extremely hard time finding good quality synthetics, along with the right shapes of brushes that I prefer. I've recently bought two 242 brushes from MUFE, and although I like their shape, they're a little scratchy. I know real techniques are synthetics, but I find their selection of shapes, and variety very limiting (especially for eyes). I'm thinking about trying out Luxie brushes, and Sigma brushes. I've never purchased from either before. If you have any experiences with these companies I'd love to hear it! I'd also love to hear other suggestions if you have any. It's extremely hard shopping for these types of products as it seems everyone is paid for their good reviews. It's really hard to trust anyone.

Re: What are your favorite synthetic brushes?

@candyrivera The majority of my brushes are a mix of Urban Decay, Marc Jacobs, and MUFE. And, they are all synthetic (I should specify that at least the styles I picked are). I reach for my UD Pro brushes everyday. I also use the Sephora Pro Airbrush line. Which also has synthetic options.

I use this brush everyday. 

http://www.sephora.com/pro-airbrush-55-P313009

@candyrivera The new EcoTools brushes are amazing! Great quality! If you're looking for face brushes or a new sponge for foundation/cream, etc, you can't go wrong. For eyes, Sigma blending brushes are very nice. I also really like Bdellium tools, It Cosmetics, and the Morphe Elite collection. A surprise stunner: RiteAid has a store brand blending brush awesome. It's shaped similarly to the MAC 224 (NOT a dupe tho)

Like a bunch of other people mentioned I got one of the luxie brushes in an ipsy bag and ended up buying a few more from the rose gold collection--they are not overly expensive and feel really soft to the touch and hold up/wash very well. If you order directly from their website shipping took a while though. 

Hi @candyrivera,

my all time favorite brushes are from Sigma. I purchased them for the first time 7 years ago (approx.) and most of them are still intact even after a constant use.

I recommend you their Performance Eyes Kit, 8 brushes very small in size and really precise. Their quality and performance for me are uncomparable. I don't know if they are still sold together or you can buy them separately, according to your needs.

0f06574f100be927717c3a460476d064.jpg

I also recommend you the F80 Flat Kabuki for foundations. CopperF80_2.png

Their price is reasonable. 

Sephora has also some brushes that I adore, like the PRO Angled Blush #49 and Airbrush Concealer #57 and the Mineral Powder #45. 

Hope this helps.

Eleonora 

Sigma does have some shapes I'm interested in, that I haven't seen from any other synthetic line. I guess I'm a little nervous about shipping and customer service (read some negative stories).

@candyrivera I was still living in Italy when  I ordered online from their US store and had them shipped there. It took a while obviously but had no problem. Same positive experience through one of their european authorized retailers. I wouldn't worry.. 

I've received a few Luxie brushes via Ipsy, and I've been really happy with the eye brushes  (rose gold line) I've gotten. I don't do much face makeup aside from blush and highlight, so I haven't enjoyed the face brushes from them as much (nor can I judge how well they work compared to others), but they aren't horrible. I think they are worthy of checking out. If you decide to buy, I think you can use either code IPSY660 or IPSYBLUSH to get 30% off from the direct site (codes from the Ipsy subscription over the past few months). 

I also second the Sephora professional line. I have a smudger and a blender that are my go-tos. I'll also mention Crown brushes, which Ipsy also introduced me to. A HG brush of mine if their shadow/crease dual ended brush (C476). I love it. It is great. I have not made the transition to more expensive brushes, so I can't give comparisons to MUFE or Hourglass unfortunately. I will also add there's been a big hullabaloo about Morphe brushes actually being private label Crown brushes, so if there are some Morphe brushes that catch your eye, you may find exact ones with Crown for cheaper. 

Too Faced was the first brush set I bought as an adult (after stealing my mom's Mary Kay set as a teenager) and I still use them (and they've held up) 10-15 years later.

I've yet to take the plunge with Spectrum brushes, but I just want to mention them in case you've never heard of them. I think they are softer/more high end, but obviously have a huge IG hype.

Another brand to check out is Royal and Langnickel. I think they originally did only paint brushes and branched out to makeup ones. I have a couple of their shader brushes and like them to pick up heavier glitter/shimmer shadows.

Ooh thank you for the codes and info!

I just wanna pipe in that every Luxie brush I've tried has been super soft and non scratchy.  Some are not as dense as they could or should be (I'm talking to you blush brush!) but they are well made in the sense they don't shed or bleed all over the place.  

I am saddened that you don't like your mufe brushes because they have some of the best and most useful shaped synthetic brushes I've found.  

Oh I like them alright. They could just be a little softer for my taste. 😉

Thank you guys! I really appreciate the input and suggestions!!

Sorry I am late @candyrivera, but if you have the chance I'd check out the Hourglass brushes:

http://www.sephora.com/hourglass?node=1050102

They are a little pricey but definitely worth it. I've had some of these brushes for 5-6 years and they have not shed. 

You're definitely not late. I have a lot to look at, and I'm very appreciative to all the recommendations!

@candyrivera - I agree with @ChicDabbler and @lyravega.  All of my brushes are synthetic.  Most are Sephora Pro and MUFE.  I've not had a problem with either brand.  My foundation brush is Cover FX; it's exactly what I was looking for.

I also agree with avoiding sets and travel size brushes.

Sephora Pro Collection brushes for sure. I prefer the ones with the greyish bristles. Those are really nicely soft and they work great. I don't care for the ones with black bristles. Those tend to shed, and are not as soft and as nice overall.

I agree about sets and travel sizes being meh. I don't like those.

Sephora PRO collection brushes are great. There are some good classics but the sets are mostly meh, don't get the travel size ones.

Aside from Sephora Pro, Real Technique and MUFE........ Sigma, IT Cosmetic, Urban Decay and Tarte have some good ones depending on what brush you are looking for.

I actually really like the synthetic brushes Morphe carries! I know they have a lot of people on PR so it can definitely be misleading.

I definitely love Sigma. They're super high quality and they have a warranty (2 years) on all of their brushes, which is definitely a plus. I also religiously use their brush cleaning glove and can't even remember how I cleaned brushes before.

Hi @candyrivera,

The Sephora Collection has great brushes with synthetic bristles ( I swear I am not biased)  😉  A basic everyday brush that I love is the Classic Multitasker Brush #45. It does it all but I really like to use it for foundation. 

Tarte has a great brush as well called the Airbuki Bamboo Powder Foundation Brush. This brush is amazing at blending thicker foundations into the skin. Tarte is a vegan and cruelty free brand so I would check out their brushes as well. 

I hope this helps! 

Best Wishes,

Janean

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 20 Hearts Given
  • 13 Contributors
Photos2
  • 0f06574f100be927717c3a460476d064.jpg
  • CopperF80_2.png
testing