The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

(0) Hearts

@starsandbucks My favourite is the surratt curler. It is fantastic for very wide, big eyes.

but I definitely agree it totally depends on your eye shape

I have the Shu uemura one. I find it mediocre on my almond eyes. Also, my eyelashes are pretty straight and never want to be curled. So that might be why. 

[ Edited ]

I think that the best eyelash curlers depend on the shape of your eyes. Mine are a flatter (rather than rounder) shape, so the flatter Shiseido curler works best for me.

[ Edited ]

I have used the MAC one my entire life.  It is awesome!  Go slow and curl right at the base.  I 'pump' lightly a few times to avoid pinching. 

But, it all depends on your eyelashes.  When I have my natural skimpy barely there eyelashes I don't get a huge impact.  Mascara gives me more oomph!

When I have my 'Latisse lashes'.....Bam!!!! Eyelashes popping!  Looks like I am wearing falsies.

@wheeeee  i have been using latisse or about 2 months and i'm finally seeing effects! i can't wait to see what it does longer term!

(0) Hearts

Latisse is an amazing product.  My derm gave me some DSs of it and it worked like a dream...however once I stopped usingit, my lashes didnt quite have the same ooomph.  No worse off than before I sued it, but just no lasting effects.

(0) Hearts

I saw somewhere that Nars direct offer any coupons on first purchases?

(0) Hearts

I have two questions right now:

1. I think I know the answer to this one, but I figured I should ask anyway. If I have a receipt, bought in stores, and am in the US; can I return a product if it's been more than 3 months? I'm still debating if I should since I've been using it, but I've just fallen out of love with it and for $45, I'm not sure if I want to force myself to use it.

2. Has anyone tried the Mix Nature products? I saw an ad for it, looked at the website, and am curious about it. But since I've heard nothing about this product at all, I was wondering if anyone else has had an experience with it.

Thanks! Smiley Happy

(0) Hearts

@KellW I can only answer the first question, but yes you definitely can return a product if you don't love it! As long as you have your receipt or it was purchased with your Beauty Insider card it's no problem!

Hello!  Has anyone shopped with this website before?Was searching for this specific lippie and this site came up... But I've never seen it/heard of it before.  Thanks!!! 

image.png

[ Edited ]

@hadtotryit never heard of this site either but I haven't ventured much outside of the mainstream online beauty retailers.  But was curious and looked them up on the BBB site - 

Spoiler
0.JPGbut with only 4 reviews, they literally have a 50/50 rating...

000.JPG00.JPG

Thank you... I forget about the BBB site for things beyond hiring a contractor. lol I think I will avoid this site. 

[ Edited ]

Thoughts on controlling hormonal breakouts on the forehead & hairline? I'm losing my mind over this. I've been blessed with pretty good, balanced skin for most of my life, but I discontinued hormonal birth control recently and my forehead is suffering. I have tried several different products and routines, but no matter what I do, it seems that as soon as one or two pimples are extracted and begin to heal, another one or two pop up in the same general area. Any and all tips and recommendations are greatly appreciated! Smiley Happy

(0) Hearts

Hey there! Sorry to hear you go through this D: I used to take evening primrose oil supplements as a teenager to control all types of hormonal stuff. It's known for a ton of hormonal regulation benefits. I sometimes get hormonal breakouts on my jawline from stress so I totally feel you. Look into it, maybe it'll help!

(0) Hearts

@Gwenhwyfar

Sorry to hear that Gwen.  Are these superficial whiteheads or more painful under the skin blemishes?  I think your body is just recovering its hormonal balance and acting out.  I am sure it will settle down in time, but until then:

My hormonal monthly spots have been a rare thing.  I find myself using some products more often than not when I want to tackle it.   

• Dr. Dennis Gross peel pads (or other similar options)
  • Aurelia Cell Repair Night oil and/or UMA Clarifying oil.  These oils have been so good to me.
  • Renee Rouleu Anti cyst treatment.  If I feel something coming, I slap this on.  It is a clear gel.  It helps a great deal in either stopping a spot, or making it much less of a pain.

[ Edited ]

Deeper and more painful, but quickly surfacing thankfully. I am sure you are right as that is my assumption as well, but it is so frustrating!

Thanks for the suggestions, @greenchilli! I actually did use up the rest of my DDG Peel Pads when this began (hadn't needed them in a while) and they seemed to help somewhat. I may pick up another small pack to tide me over until my skin balances again. I will also look into those other suggestions. Can you tell me anything about the two oils and how you use them / what they do for you? Smiley Happy

@Gwenhwyfar

Consistent use of Aurelia improved my overall skin health.  Just balanced my face.  My monthly spot or so became an occasional occurrence.

Since I got the Uma oils, I have used the Clarifying one around the time I am hormonal, and my skin stays calm and quiet all month long.  UMA has clove oil and tea tree.  It is good in dealing with infection and regulating sebum.  

The Aurelia oil is skin food. Helps cell regeneration.  It is awesome.  It is a good "all the time" oil.

[ Edited ]

@greenchilli I appreciate the additional info! I think I can make something akin to the UMA oil (I already purchased and just began using pure grape seed oil), but I may check out the Aurelia. Anthropologie carries it so I will buy it during one of their % off sales (didn't do it this weekend; it's too $ to justify without checking out in person first).

@Gwenhwyfar I will co-sign the UMA Clarifying. I also use this when I have deeper painful bumps surfacing.  I will point out it is very VERY potently scented of cloves, so if that isn't something you enjoy, you may not love it. 

That said, in my experience when I went off BC it took time for my body to readjust to the change in hormones.  

I'd definitely arm yourself with a few good products to ease the transition, but I think it's unlikely that anything is going to completely prevent them.

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Thanks for your valuable input, @Mochapj. Smiley Happy Clove just happens to be one of my favorite scents (I'm wearing clove and patchouli oil right now), so that sounds perfect!

That is my full expectation; I'm committed to the long haul here but want to lessen the symptoms if possible. Herbivore Blue Tansy mask used exclusively on my forehead has been helping, along with my rosehip oil and Burt's Blemish Stick. I hope to find a way to prevent them rather than just treat them as they occur, but I am not holding my breath.