The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

@LivKoven WOW that mask comes in an 11oz size?? I have been getting some hormonal acne so I'm really considering this one for my body now. Love the thought of it being minty too .. will have to go sniff it Smiley Very Happy 

@whitepolkydotsYes! I've been using it all over my chest and back then just on my face every now and then when I feel like my skin is congested. It's worked for my hormonal acne pretty well- hope it works for you Smiley Happy

I use them, and I like them a lot. Keep in mind a standout for one person might be "meh" for another (it all depends on skin type, and for me, what my skin benefits from varies with environmental and hormonal conditions).

If you have a Lush store near you, they are generous with samples. Stop in, talk with an SA about your skin, and take home samples of 1-2 to try.

Also keep in mind that unless it is a "self-preserving" formulation, you will need to keep them refrigerated.

I have tried: 

• The Sacred Truth:  This is my favorite. It leaves my skin feeling and looking nice in a "I don't know if it did anything, but my skin looks and feels as it should" kind of way. 
  • Don't Look at Me:  Another great one. Gentle exfoliation and brightening
  • BB Seaweed:  In allergy season, my skin gets really red in patches, dry, and seems cranky. This one calms it down and normalizes it.
  • Catastrophe Cosmetic:  Also great  on cranky skin during allergy season, and it is really soothing on skin that got a little too much sun. When I get mystery acne (or I feel that redness & irritation that precedes it), this one does the trick.
  • Mask of Magnaminty:  Another great one. I'm not always looking for exfoliation and deep cleaning, so I don't use this one as often. When I wear heavier face makeup, this one helps get my skin back on track.
  • Cosmetic Warrior:  I didn't love this one. It was on the more harsh/aggressive side of acne battling. My skin doesn't do well with tea tree oil, so it didn't help my occasional acne. Would be great for acne-prone skin that responds well to products with tea tree oil (just not for me).
  • Cup O' Coffee:  I did not love this as a face mask. It's mostly exfoliation, and the granules were too large for that. There are other facial exfoliating masks and products that I like better. It would be really nice as an exfoliating mask for body, however.

Nice review!   @SheWhoSkis

My favorite Lush masks are The Sacred Truth and Don't Look at Me - These both help brighten my skin and I love the exfoliation in Don't Look at Me.

The best part about Don't Look at Me is that it is a bright Smurfy blue - so much fun!

Also - When you turn in 5 clean Lush pots (the black ones) for recycling, you get a free face mask! 

But, as mentioned above, most of their masks must stay refrigerated, so I recommend making this your last stop at the mall! Smiley Wink

@whitepolkydots

Thanks, @Tamara76! I have 4 pots in storage, and I'm 2/3 of the way through another. Soon, the free mask will be mine! 

@SheWhoSkis thank you SO much for the detailed reviews!! <3 That was extremely helpful and I now feel like I now need/want so many of the items you recommended.. Smiley Very Happy especially at Sacred Truth, Catastrophe Cosmetic and Magnaminty.

I also didn't know that Lush offered samples, so I'm definitely going to ask for one he next time I drop in!

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@whitepolkydots, it might vary store to store, but mine is quite good. I usually have to ask, and typically wait until my basket is well-loaded first. I typically get 1-2 samples when I go. 

Things I've received take-home samples: 

• Shampoos
  • Body washes 
  • Masks
  • Slices of soap (hand/body and face) 
  • Toothy tabs (they put 2-3 in a sample jar)
  • Face washes

Another Fun fact:  they do single-stream #5 plastic recycling at the stores. While the large black pots go back for trade-in, I also bring back the little black sample pots (too small for my residents sorting facility) and the black lids (my sorting facility handles the bottles, but no lids). Earth hero! 

ETA: Even if you're not buying anything that day, still talk with them and ask for 1-2 samples. Or pick one to buy that you know you'll love, and get samples of a couple you need to try first. 

I've used a few of them, but mostly go with Cosmetic Warrior (I have acne-prone skin with large pores). I really like them, they feel fresh, and that you keep them in the fridge makes it an over-all spa experience (cold face feels refreshing). I can't say if they are overall better than the brands at Sephora, but they are worth a try! My skin always feels great after using Cosmetic Warrior.

@NotCrocker I'm so excited to hear that many people love & use Lush masks. I have a different skintype than yours, but the positive experience is what I'm looking for / happy about Smiley Very Happy Thank you!

I'm trying help a friend's sister find a cool pinkish red lipstick for prom. Something like makeup geek's "Fearless" but available in  drug stores. Preferably under $10. Anyone have a good recommendation?

[ Edited ]

How about Revlon's Cherries in the Snow? Or is that too pink?

As far as drugstore lippies go, Revlon has lots of great lipsticks in their regular lineup... same with Maybelline, but I can't think of any cool pinky reds off the top of my head.

That looks great! Thank you!

"Weirdest question ever warning"

I have a spot on my cheek that won't grab pigmentation. If I don't wear makeup you can't tell as it isn't lighter, darker or of a different texture than the rest of my face. However foundation won't color it, blush or bronzer won't color it Smiley Frustrated

It's the weirdest thing ever!!!! Especially now that I've been using more heavily blush from the Crissy palette, the uncolored spot is more visible than ever, like a thumbprint that won't hold color.

Has it happened to you? how did you fix it? Am I crazy? LOL

@YoiFran I had a similar experience when I used to wear face powder everyday, but only in certain areas (e.g. under eye). I was so weirded out by the fact that there was an empty spot on my cheek every time I applied blush.. LOL. For me, I think it's because the area had too much powder(?), while the rest of the cheek did not? I don't exactly know why. 

I don't have that issue anymore, and I think it's because I either (1) don't wear powder at all, or (2) apply powder all over the cheeks.

I'm trying to find a new foundation that wont feel oily after an hour or two...if I go in to Sephora will they be able to give me samples of a few different foundations/shades?  I feel like some places get annoyed by this...

Absolutely! They can also color match you as well.

Cool!  I've done the color match before but the colors suggested always feel waaaay too yellow.  I've been wanting to give a pink-er shade a try

Can someone recommend a hypoallergenic eyeliner or is designed for sensitive eyes? Not Clinique please.

Hi @makeitup305, the Lancôme GRANDIÔSE Bendable Liquid Eyeliner and MAKE UP FOR EVER
Kohl Pencil are both supposed to be safe for sensitive eyes. I don't have sensitive eyes but I do have the lancome one and quite like it. You really do need to shake it before using like suggested. Sometimes I find that I have to shake it when I need to go back for more pigment, but for the payoff it gives me, I can't really complain. 

The tarte Tarteist™ Double Take Eyeliner is ophthalmologist tested and safe for contact lens wearers. It doesn't list exactly safe for sensitive eyes, but the testing would lead me to hope that it may work for you! 

XOXO,
Marieke

What do you all find to be the best eyelash curler? I have a Chanel one but, perhaps due to user error, I can not get a great curl out of this thing. Is the Shu version really everything people say it is?

@starsandbucks i bought the shu one, and i was never that impressed. my lashes are normally quite short and straight (i've been using latisse so they're longer and thicker now), and i agree with @txcatx that the shiseido one is great!