The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

@SheWhoSkis I haven't tried konjac sponges but I hear they're great! Maybe if I have this problem in the future I'll try them out Smiley Happy

Has anyone used products with apple cider vinegar, and it caused breakouts? I recently got SW Basics Toner and the main ingredient is apple cider vinegar. I used it last night for the 2nd time. I noticed today that I have a couple under skin bumps on my cheek now. 

[ Edited ]

@samls324  To this day, I don't know if putting apple cider vinegar (or regular vinegar) on your face is a good idea.

Are you breaking out in areas you usually break out?

For two weeks, I used a homemade ACV "toner" by diluting 1 part unfiltered raw ACV with 10 parts of water.

I broke out days after and was wondering what could be causing it. Took me awhile to realized it's probably the ACV. I tried diluting it more and it didn't improve.

Without knowing the pH, it might be too harsh for your skin. Or your skin simply doesn't like it. Have you ever use acids on your face? How does your face react to acid?

The beauty and health worlds seem polarized on ACV. Some people swear by it, and it has made others broken out (I'm in the latter group). Those who ingest it have either claimed amazing health effects, while others have claimed it caused some crazy problems with their health and skin.

Once I discontinued use, my skin returned to normal.

If you Google "apple cider vinegar cause breakout" you'll find lots of threads discussing this as well.

@k617 I haven't been getting deep underskin pimples lately. I think my skin doesn't like it. I've been using Sunday Riley Good Genes lately and that seems to work fine with my skin.

[ Edited ]

I have a Clarisonic Body device (I cant remember its actual name, but it came out before the new Smart Profile...it is light pink and has a handle to extend for the rest of your body as well as fits a body brush replacement head.) and I am interested in the new Uplift Firming Massage Head brush.  Has anyone tried this yet?  It is more expensive because it does more, firming to be exact, lol. and I also wonder if it will fit my version of the Clarisonic?

TIA!

Image result for clarisonic body brush extension handle

Does anyone know if Viseart still makes brushes, and if/where I can buy them in the US? 

My favorite blush brush is Viseart. I got it in some narrow multi-story department store in NYC (5th or Madison, near Central Park or to the South, but nowhere near as South as Union Square). It was in the early-to-mid 2000's, so I realize the store might no longer exist, or maybe carries different things (not to mention I have no recollection of which one it was, or where it might have been). 

Fast forward 10-15 years, I still love the brush, but would love to get a replacement. I'm also curious to see what else they offer. 

A web search turns up lots of makeup palettes, but so far, no brushes. 

Has anyobe seen thes online or in store? 

Can't help on the brush (sorry); I just have to randomly comment that it sounds like Henri Bendel.

I just looked at the street view on Google maps, and I think that's it! Thank you, @kathmb! While they might not still carry it, I also recall it was a really nice store. I will have to check it out next time I'm in NYC!

I'm new to this forum so I hope I am asking my question in the right place lol

I am wondering if anyone has used the Juice Beauty Stem Cellular serum? I received a deluxe sized sample a while ago and decided to try it out. I used it yesterday morning and again before bed and when I woke up this morning my face looked flawless! Like I'm talking completely even and zero redness (I usually have redness in the middle of my face, especially around my nose and a bit on my chin). I seriously woke up and didn't even want to put on makeup but had to because of work. This serum is for anti-wrinkle not skin tone evening/anti-redness so I'm just wondering if anyone has used it over a period of time and has some feedback? It's ridiculously expensive but if it's worth it, it's something I'd consider

Thanks!

xx Liv

i may have to try this. my face has a pink flush to it that i'd like to even out.

@LivKoven I've tried this one before and had similar results! My skin was very calm/smooth/soft in the morning. I definitely liked it, but brushed it aside because I wasn't familiar with the brand and because it was almost $80 for an ounce. At that price range, I thought it was best for me to just stick to serums I was familiar with Smiley Happy **Clinique Smart Serum is one of my HGs and comes in at $60/oz

@whitepolkydots That's the thing for me too, I know nothing about Juice Beauty aside from it being all natural, vegan and made from acidic fruit juices. I don't know anyone that loves it or even uses it. The price point is insane but my skin is absolutely loving it!

Clinique Smart Serum is your HG? I actually have it and have been using it some for the past few weeks but haven't been enjoying it. That being said, I've been only doing it in the morning- maybe I'll try it at night and give that a shot Smiley Happy

Does anyone use Lush's "fresh" masks? I'm wondering if there are any standouts / how they compare to "shelf" brands at Sephora

(0) Hearts

@whitepolkydots, I would love to hear an update. Did you get to try any out, and if so, what did you think? Find any you love? 

(0) Hearts

@SheWhoSkis really appreciate you checking back in! I chose Catastrophe Cosmetic and really really liked the results. It made my skin tingle and I saw a reduction in the size of my breakouts. My skin looked flat/matte, but smooth and healthy afterwards.. not sure if that makes sense Smiley Tongue however.. I wish it weren't so thick. I felt like I wasted a lot of product when attempting to spread it. A few more uses and I'll know if it's worth the $$ to me.. but so far so good Smiley Happy

I am planning on trying Magnaminty next because it smelled soo good. I had very little time at the mall on my last trip and wanted to research reviews on the self preserving vs regular formulas before buying. I didn't have time to ask a SA on that trip, but I've since decided to go for the SP with the extra honey. 

I also have Sacred Truth on my radar. I remember not liking the scent that much but I plan to ask for a sample of it when I grab Magnaminty

@whitepolkydots The Lush masks are pretty great if you remember you refrigerate the ones that aren't self-preserving. Your best bet like @SheWhoSkissaid is to venture in and spend some time with an SA talking about your specific skincare needs. I've used Mask of Magnaminty and it definitely feels fresh but it wasn't one I think would be necessary all of the time, maybe just once in a while when you feel like your skin is congested. This does however make for a great body product! I had a purchased a big jar of it, put it in the fridge and forgot about it after using it a couple of times and noticed it a few weeks before it was going to expire to I just used what was left all over my body and I felt so clean. It also helped with a bit of hormonal acne I had on my chest.

I also liked Cup O'Coffee too though it's quite exfoliating I wouldn't use it more than once a week (feels so fresh and with the coffee smell you definitely feel awake and alert)

The last one I used with Oatafix (might not have spelled that correctly) and I didn't really notice a difference with that one. Supposed to be good for calming sensitive skin (oatmeal is great for that) but while it felt kind of nice I wouldn't say it was one that I needed to go buy, which is the great thing about Lush's samples! I didn't waste any money.

[ Edited ]

I'm battling hormonal acne on my chest now (for a week). Thanks for the Mask of magnaminty tip; I have some on hand, and will give it a try. 

@LivKoven

Good luck!

@LivKoven WOW that mask comes in an 11oz size?? I have been getting some hormonal acne so I'm really considering this one for my body now. Love the thought of it being minty too .. will have to go sniff it Smiley Very Happy 

@whitepolkydotsYes! I've been using it all over my chest and back then just on my face every now and then when I feel like my skin is congested. It's worked for my hormonal acne pretty well- hope it works for you Smiley Happy

I use them, and I like them a lot. Keep in mind a standout for one person might be "meh" for another (it all depends on skin type, and for me, what my skin benefits from varies with environmental and hormonal conditions).

If you have a Lush store near you, they are generous with samples. Stop in, talk with an SA about your skin, and take home samples of 1-2 to try.

Also keep in mind that unless it is a "self-preserving" formulation, you will need to keep them refrigerated.

I have tried: 

• The Sacred Truth:  This is my favorite. It leaves my skin feeling and looking nice in a "I don't know if it did anything, but my skin looks and feels as it should" kind of way. 
  • Don't Look at Me:  Another great one. Gentle exfoliation and brightening
  • BB Seaweed:  In allergy season, my skin gets really red in patches, dry, and seems cranky. This one calms it down and normalizes it.
  • Catastrophe Cosmetic:  Also great  on cranky skin during allergy season, and it is really soothing on skin that got a little too much sun. When I get mystery acne (or I feel that redness & irritation that precedes it), this one does the trick.
  • Mask of Magnaminty:  Another great one. I'm not always looking for exfoliation and deep cleaning, so I don't use this one as often. When I wear heavier face makeup, this one helps get my skin back on track.
  • Cosmetic Warrior:  I didn't love this one. It was on the more harsh/aggressive side of acne battling. My skin doesn't do well with tea tree oil, so it didn't help my occasional acne. Would be great for acne-prone skin that responds well to products with tea tree oil (just not for me).
  • Cup O' Coffee:  I did not love this as a face mask. It's mostly exfoliation, and the granules were too large for that. There are other facial exfoliating masks and products that I like better. It would be really nice as an exfoliating mask for body, however.