The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

Thanks for the detailed response, @Randell. I have done the research about the different types and I know what works for me as far as ingredients go... I just don't want to do a ton of purchasing, trying and returning, so I wanted to know what ones other people like (tried and true, you know?). Then I can look at them and determine if they will work for me. Smiley Happy

I like the look of the Coola one especially, and perhaps the Supergoop spray. A question on the spray sunscreens though... If you use them and you know: Do they affect clothing if they get on it when applying or during wear? Thanks! Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]

It is a dilemma! I am super sensitive and have lots of allergies. I try my best to avoid the "bad stuff" but, sometimes the natural, organic healthy ones make me have the worst allergic reactions, or I end up getting sunburn. Smiley Sad

I usually spray before I put my clothes on. But, I do reapply when I am out for the day. I also keep a small can of Supergoop in my car for when I forget.

On the days that I have to reapply/slather extra on my neck area...I have never noticed it harming my clothes. I wear Free People halter galloon bras and I know I get it all over those, and it has never damaged the color or fabric.

Also, with both the "chemical" and "physical" types I put my normal lotion on first. I have never had it interfere with the effectiveness of any of my sunscreens. I like to think it provides a little barrier from absorbing all the bad stuff. Probably not the case, but I can hope, right? Smiley Happy

If you have any success with Bare Republic, please report back!

EDIT to add: when I am out in public I don't like to rudely spray, so, I spray into my hands and rub it on. That helps from spraying it directly on your clothes, too.

@Randell , I know exactly what you mean! My Diorsnow Sunscreen was perfection and finding a substitute was a major headache. But I'm delighted with the new Shiseido Sensitive Skin (the same one you linked) have you tried it yet? It's works great under makeup.

BTW, I thought I should mention, the chemical sunscreen has to be absorbed by the skin to work properly. I imagine you use a light lotion, so it doesn't interfere much, but if one would try to create a protective barrier, it could affect the protection factor of the sunscreen.

@DaintyDiva I was I in love with Clarins when they only used the physical blockers, then they reformulated and added the chemicals. Ugh. If it is not broken...don't fix/change it!!

Yes, I do use super light, fluid type lotions. I'm sure I'm absorbing more than I'd like to know. But, without sunscreen, I'd turn into ashes like a Vampire without a daylight ring! Smiley Wink

Sometimes I even layer/mix different sunscreens. The zinc based ones literally make me glow! If I soley use those everywhere, I look translucent white!

Yes, Shiseido is the only line I use on my face. I love it!

@Gwenhwyfar Have you ever purchased the Sun Safety Sets Sephora releases each year? I forget when...usually right before Summer..May? They have like 15-20 mini deluxe sizes to trial. I get it every year!

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@Randell Yes, I have bought the Sun Safety kits in the past.... I find that I can't use the majority of the products in them (at least not on my face, and preferably not on my body either) due to ingredient sensitivities. Tanning products are of no use to me. Most of the sunscreens are being used for the tops of my feet these days. XD I skipped buying the set last year.

[ Edited ]

If you wait for the sunscreen to dry before dressing, there is no effect on clothing, but if you accidentally spray something on your clothing it will depend on the specific brand, though you should be able to remove any possible stain during wash.

BTW, just my opinion, but if you are trying to avoid chemical sunscreen, Coola uses most of the blacklisted ingredients (Avobenzone 2%, Octinoxate 7.5%, Octisalate 4%, Octocrylene 7%). And considering you would cover your whole body with it, that's a lot absorbed by the organism. 

Edit: Bare Republic is the "mineral only" version distributed by Coola. Not sure why it's not available at Sephora.

Good to know! Thanks for that tip!

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the notes! Smiley Happy The only chemical sunscreen that I actively avoid is Oxybenzone. I don't seem to have any reaction issues to the rest of them.... Waiting for more research to be done and published on the effects of chemical sunscreens. I will look into the Bare Republic version as well; thanks!

Edit: Well, I didn't find that one but I did find a baby version that looks excellent. I will probably be collecting all the Coola sunscreens. Smiley Very Happy

Edit again: Just kidding. I found the Bare Republic (didn't realize it was a different brand / not on the Coola website). Looks like my local Target carries it so I can go investigate in person! Thanks!

Honestly I use the Aveeno stuff for babies (comes in a squeeze tube).  I am prone to odd reactions to things so I thought I may have better luck with something for little ones' sensitive skin.  I think it's SPF 55?  I'm pale so I need it!

I used the Aveeno for a long time too, but I am trying to move away from body products containing dimethicone (as my face skin is sensitive and it would get in my hair and clothes) and I don't use products with parabens anymore. Otherwise I would still be using this one! Smiley Tongue

I use whatever really. Some help that was LOL. Or I steal my tot's sunscreen Smiley Very Happy I think Banana Boat! I used to use Loreal's Ombrelle =)

(0) Hearts

Hi all! I'm looking for suggestions for the best all-over shadow brush. My go-to is the All Over Shadow Brush from the Too Faced Teddy Bear Hair Brush Set: (image from Temptalia)

tf

It is perfect for laying down a base color. The brush head is medium sized. It's not too dense where it's stiff but not too fluffy where it's flimsy either. 

Please feel free to recommend me any similar brushes. I'd also love to hear your what your favorite all over shadow brush is. I appreciate it! Smiley Very Happy

I usually use my ELF eyeshadow 'C' brush or whatever it's called. I also use the Sigma E55. These brushes are not similar to what you use but that's what I have been using! I also use EcoTools (random brushes that I don't know the names of).

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm always open to new options as it took me an eternity just to find one as great as this Too Faced brush lol. I use the Sigma E57 and enjoy it so the 55 sounds great! 

I used to think I could only use small brushes since I have monolids but now my eyes have been opened (pun intended) to the beauty of bigger brushes. 

Lol glad I could help =)

[ Edited ]

I use the EcoTools flat concealer brush as an eyeshadow brush. It's soft, synthetic fiber (necessary for me), but also picks up a lot of color and lays it down well. Lately I just use my fingers though because I have more control over where the color goes. Smiley Wink

^^Thanks so much for your recommendation! And thank you for mentioning synthetic fibers. I am comitted to using cruelty-free beauty products so synthetic is a must for me too. Off I go to google the EcoTools! Smiley Very Happy

Does anyone have experience with EradiKate? I've been getting deep pimples on my face the last few months, just one at a time, but my regular salicylic acid treatment isn't doing a whole lot for them.

(0) Hearts

@JennBeth I love EradiKate!  I was looking at getting the origins spot treatment when the Sephora rep pointed out that EradiKate has better reviewed and is better value.  At first I was putting it on daily and had some issues with dryness but I have found that this product ACTUALLY does what it says.

Love this stuff, it can be quite drying though if you have sensitive/ very dry skin I'd try something gentler. Smells highly of sulphur. Those are the only downsides I can see. Great to pop on at night and shrinks them by morning.