The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

@StephaniLynn Have you contacted the other kids' parents directly? Kids can be quite awful. I had girls cover my braid in glue in 4th grade.

@makeitup305 I have and they shrug it off as 'kids will be kids':/

(0) Hearts

@StephaniLynn That's awful. Some parents are clueless. I work with special needs kids and half the time the parents are the problem (or a part of it). Like other people have said, maybe a lawyer would be able to tell you if you could sue for assault and harrassement? Send her in with a GoPro in her pocket Smiley Wink

[ Edited ]

@StephaniLynn That's awesome that you're taking big steps to make sure the bullying stops. 

As for if you should transfer, I think you should pro/con it and make the best decision for her. If she's able to remain logical/objective about the situation, brainstorm with her/discuss the pros/cons of each option and ask for her input/how she would like to handle it. Id recommend using her input to weigh into the decision that YOU ultimately think is best for her. 

I will speak from experience:

When I was in elementary school I was bullied a lot. People stole my stuff all the time (kids see pretty things and they take it). I was also physically bothered--this one really mean girl would always shove me into walls. It never escalated to the extent that I would come home with bad injuries/we'd get into fights, but obviously aggressive behavior like that isn't okay. Personally, I'm glad I didn't change schools. It taught me how to defend myself and understand that in life, bad stuff happens. In other situations, some things we cannot change. Although I could have switched schools, I learned to not tolerate that behavior and speak up for myself instead of running away and hoping the new situation will be better. I'm in no way saying that you shouldn't transfer her (or that I'd consider it running away) or that such bullying is acceptable. I only wanted to chime in with my experience Smiley Happy 

i hope that helped Smiley Happy 

(0) Hearts

@StephaniLynn Willa gave amazing advice above but I want to echo what @pinyo said too. Not my personal situation, but my little sister that I mentor through Big brothers big sisters had a large bullying issue going on when we were matched 2 years ago. It was to the point you are at as far as physical issues, considering removing her from school etc. She was depressed, borderline suicidal, and straight up down on herself with little self confidence at 12 years old. 

She was not removed from the situation, and with a lot of work from everyone she has been taught the life skills to deal with those types of people and love herself regardless of the opinions of others. Her grades and attendance improved significantly and she is involved in activities and is student council president this year. 

I believe that facing the situation and growing as a person has taught her very important life skills as far as communication, self love, and self respect and also helped the point that not everyone has to like you or be your friend but they do have to respect you, just as you should for them. Although this is a very negative experience, it's a good learning point to talk about conflict as well and how to approach conflict and mitigate it early instead of tolerance or avoidance. 

@pinyo Thank you for your input, I do want to have a sit down with her and to see what she would like to do because it does matter. We have about 5 weeks of school left so I'm not sure if I should let her finish the rest of the school year and maybe start her at a new school in the fall?  I just feel helpless in the whole situation because I can't seem to get someone to take me seriously, especially since it seems to be escalating. She comes home in tears some days when the kids are really mean to her. One day a little boy told her she was going to die! And another little girl told her that she better leave 'her school' or else. She gets shoved into the walls in PE, tripped in the classroom, and pushed off play equipment at recess. I worry about her mental state as well as her physical safety. 

It also might be worth it to consider a counselor that she can talk to and find coping strategies with. It might help her feel like she has another person in her corner?

Can you escalate to a school board or discuss your options with a lawyer? That is so irresponsible of the school. I admire you for being the primary caregiver of your niece, an awesome caring one at that. Hugs!

I've gone to the school board and they said if I don't have hard evidence of the bullying then I don't have a case. I didn't even think to seek legal advice about this. I'll make a few calls to the law firms around here. Thank you @TriesToBoClassy

(0) Hearts

Is NARS planning on discontinuing the blush shades: Gaiety and Sex Appeal?! I noticed that those two shades are both "out of stock" on my loves page, and I can't even find them on the Sephora website. They were there a few days ago..

(0) Hearts

Can't confirm if they are being discontinued as they are still showing up on Nars Official and other retailers. But it looks like about 8 blushes in the Nars site are not showing on the Sephora one? 

(0) Hearts

@themusefactory  I wonder if Sephora is going to carry less of NARS since ulta will be. I've noticed brands sephora drops, ulta takes. And if ulta secured a Brand, often Sephora will drop it. 

(0) Hearts

Makes sense in a way. Suddenly sephora is sharing the market with another very large player, so sales of those items drop. And while it may not be true for everyone, I know if I have a choice, I'm buying it from ulta. Better rewards and deals overall. 

(0) Hearts

Did Benefit's Majorette get discontinued? I loved it but mine just expired and I need to repurchase it. I can't find it online here or at Ulta. If it is discontinued, does anyone know of any possible dupes for it? 

Did Nars Gilda blush get discontinued? I can only find it on the Nars UK website?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Yeah, sadly, it's gone. Pity, too, as it's a great one. @makeitup305

(0) Hearts

Man that's a bummer! @TKLJ Do you know of any good dupes? From Temptalia's site it looks like maybe MAC's Modern Mandarin?

(0) Hearts

I just looked on Temptalia, and that does seem pretty similar. I'm not familiar with the MAC blush, but I can try and swatch Gilda next to some other orange blushes I have. @makeitup305

does Sephora delete negative reviews? i read somewhere that they do. that would make finding good products difficultSmiley Sad

(0) Hearts

@xxsour I don't know about deleting negative reviews, but I definitely think there is a bias in regard to what reviews are accepted. My positive reviews are always posted, but sometimes it takes up to 3 tries to have my more negative ones show up. It's pretty ridiculous.  

I know we here at BeautyTalk hate resellers, but what would you do if you got a set with some products you don't like or intend to use. Case in point: Berries and Cream set for Philosophy. I don't like Fresh Cream and its included. 

Second case: Didn't like my Play Box this month.