The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

[ Edited ]

Is it common to see product prices marked up in store?  I have noticed it at my location on some luxury brand products.

First I saw something marked up $2 from the online price.  Which I thought was weird, but I am in NYC and I feel like I'm so used to that.  I just kind of ignored it.  I didn't buy the product but that's the kind of small price I would end up paying just based on convenience for me getting it right away and not explaining away more packages at my door! haha

Today I was in store and saw my Dior foundation cost $65 in store.  I feel tricked because I first bought it there in store without looking online and when I went online after to check about a different shade I saw it is $53 online!  That's a $12 difference!  Way too much.

I have only noticed this on those couple luxury items and I don't often by luxury so I can't speak to how many items are marked up.  But is this common?  Am I just naive because cosmetics seems like something that wouldn't be marked up from website to store...

(0) Hearts

I've only noticed it once at Sephora, a markup of about $7 on a Marc Jacobs brush. This was in a suburban mall, not some tourist hotspot where they can make a quick buck off visitors, so it was especially odd. I ended up buying it online. If anything, I'd expect a store price to be temporarily cheaper to try and shift overstock.

@starrysilver

That's interesting, @starrysilver. I know this happens often with larger retail companies like Target etc., but I have never seen it in a Sephora or department store. I feel like part of what you are paying for with luxury brands is the experience of purchasing at a counter and the consistency in pricing (i.e. it stays at MSRP and cannot be inflated at the whim of the retailer). I'm surprised to hear the Dior foundation had a $12 surcharge! What store was this in?

Does anyone have a phone number for So Choix customer service?

Attempting to go to their website indicates they no longer exist, and an email to their support address got bounced back as "undeliverable"

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 12.46.02 PM.png

Thanks @Madeline7 and @whitepolkydots. I suspected that would be the case. I'm glad I tried all reasonable methods of contact before contacting my CC company, since the first question upon calling to dispute was "have you tried to contact them"?

Getting a little stalker-esque, I went onto LinkedIn, and got some names of folks who are So Choix Advisors, on their board, etc. I'm not able to easily contact them (they aren't in my network and I don't have a premium LinkedIn membership), and it seems a little (or a lot) over the top to contact them to inquire if Ellie was sincere in email when she stated "What I don't want is for you to ... think you're being scammed."

@SheWhoSkis there is no way to contact them.  They've cancelled their phone lines, website, email, social media.  The owner has even deleted all her contact info on sites like crunchbase and medium, taken down all her blogs.  She's fled.

File a dispute with your bank if you can Smiley Sad

@SheWhoSkis i would imagine that they're not staffing their CS line? Seeing as everything linked to them has been taken down. Some people in the Beauty Sub thread, as well as MSA, recommended going directly through your bank to unsubscribe. Annoying I know Smiley Sad

This isn't a beauty question, but I thought this would be a good place to ask. I have a Coach bag that's white cloth with metallic silver C's and silver leather handle and bottom. The cloth is looking a little dull. What is the best way to clean it?

[ Edited ]

@shyvicki  My local Coach stores will now clean your bags!   Not sure if there is a fee or if they do it in store or mail it out, but it may be worth checking. I have dropped a bag off in store for repairs and they sent it directly to my home once it was fixed.  Smiley Happy

(0) Hearts

I will definitely ask my local store. Thank you!

Does anyone know of a translucent mattifying finishing powder that is super duper simple to depot and put in a z-palette? I am apparently really bad at depotting things and have made a huge mess. 

Also, does anyone know how to get weird mysterious glue that is somehow still... wet and sticky... off your skin?

(0) Hearts

Look for refills rather than compacts - i've got one of Estee Lauder's Lucidity which seems mattifying but I can't speak for wear time as I have other preferred setting powders. Sure other brands have them too Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]

So I know this is gonna be a "you should consult a dermatologist" type of question, but maybe y'all would know anyway! 

Im curious about how to get rid of milia on the face/eyes, (those excess skin bumps) 

i have some on my cheek bones and one on my eyelid. These bad boys don't wanna leave on their own, esp not the one squatting on my eyelid, rent free. They've been there for months, if not, years.

im most confused on how to get rid of the one on my eyelid since I can't exfoliate that and it's q very delicate  area

Am I able to get rid of these milia on my own? If so, how? 

Thank you! 

For ones on and around the eye area, I think your only option would be to cut out products one by one to see if they improve. I'd say though, chances of this succeeding is very low. Best for a pro to look at it.

For ones on cheekbones and nose (where I have most of my milia), I've had success using a home microdermabrasion device extracting SOME of them. I use the device only once every two weeks, and I focus on the affected areas a little bit more. I've managed to extract 2 or 3 milia since starting to use the device, which was back in November.

There's still a fair amount of waiting though. Most weeks I don't make any progress and some weeks I'll be able to gently squeeze the very top out just out of the surface. I stop there. Over the next day, the clog will end up showing itself and then at night after cleansing I can usually gently squeeze it out.

I have tried the pin method like michelleshops before I knew any better and ended up destroying the skin AROUND the area. Highly UNrecommended.

IN general, I really just try to ignore them. I've thought about extractions but I know they'll probably come back at some point. Rather than risk going to a bad esthetician I've just decided to accept that I'll always have them.

The eyelid/under eye milia I actually got when I wasn't using any products. So basically...I guess my body likes producing milia? Smiley Very Happy Now I use Clinique eye cream for under and it luckily hasn't changed anything. 

Thanks for the dont sdvice lol. I've been getting annoyed with the one on my eyelid that I've been tempted to scratch/poke it until it comes out...but I know that's asking for trouble Smiley Sad 

@k617

(0) Hearts

Ah...then yes, you're just prone to them. Perhaps increased chemical exfoliation or retinol could help, but I have both of those products in my routine and neither have really helped to get rid of them.

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the advice @k617. I guess ill keep exfoliating and hopefully it'll help with the facial ones. 

Fingers crossed the eyelid one one decides to disappear. It drives me bonkers...it's right on my crease. 

Disclaimer: I've done this but I DO NOT recommend!  It was dangerous and in hindsight pretty stupid.

I've removed milia by poking it with a pin and squeezing out the offending lump.  While it worked and I was pleased, it was such a bad idea for several reasons!  It was under my eye so I had to close it (poking your face with a pin with one eye closed is not a good plan).  Once I'd successfully not blinded myself, I had to squeeze my poor defenseless undereye area.  It hurt and I knew I was causing damage but I was already committed.  

Like you said, I suggest you go to a dermatologist.  They can remove it  for you without any of the DIY fears.  Learn from my poor choices!! 

thank you @michelleshops

I'm glad you're okay! Your experience sounds so scary...esp with one eye! Depth perception shattered lol. 

recently bought Boscia Purifying cleanser and it leaves my face with that squeaky clean feeling. my face feels a bit dry afterwards like i need to rush and do my other steps so i can put moisturizer on.

do i need a more hydrating cleanser? any recommendations?

i have been using Philosophy Purity for several months, and it doesn't dry out my skin, but i also don't feel like my skin isn't getting a super deep clean.

@samls324 the consonant beauty foaming face wash has totally changed the game for me when it comes to face washes. it's my new HG and I live off of it now. it's organic and totally free of all harsh chemicals (I know.. I was never about that life until I found this). It's crazy because it feels very gentle but my face feels totally clean after but not dry/tight. I have very oily skin so getting that squeaky clean feeling used to be important to me but not anymore. I highly, highly recommend!