The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I know we here at BeautyTalk hate resellers, but what would you do if you got a set with some products you don't like or intend to use. Case in point: Berries and Cream set for Philosophy. I don't like Fresh Cream and its included. 

Second case: Didn't like my Play Box this month. 

I am always a bit confused by the idea of hating resellers. Like any job in the world, it has a purpose, and they make products available to some folks that wouldn't necessarily have access any other way. To me, the statement "I hate resellers" is about as useful and meaningful as "I hate taxes". Both are facts of life, but I suppose both are great scapegoats for any negative emotions.

(FWIW, I used to be a drug-store couponer, and resold my deeply-discounted scores to low-income folks that couldn't afford full price. I made a small profit, and they got nicer stuff at a better price than they could get at the Dollar Tree. It was a win-win, but still...folks hate those darn resellers...buncha evil SOB's...lol)

In any case, I say sell it, or trade it, or donate it, or whatever you want to do with it...it's yours, after all, and you are free to do as you please. If selling makes you uncomfortable, you certainly don't have to, but there are still plenty of options to get it out of your way Smiley Happy

I *think* the hate is only directed at professional resellers.. the ones that scoop up ALL the limited edition or limited stock items and then relist them on ebay for 10x the price

(sweet peach palette, anyone??)

NOT the people who bought one or two items and now need/want to sell it for various reasons.

(0) Hearts

In general, reseller-hate is pretty widespread from what I have seen. I caught a lot of flak back in the days I was doing that. It seems to be a knee-jerk reaction...when I first started couponing, I have to admit I had a very real struggle with the feeling myself. It's natural to feel animosity towards someone that you feel might be taking something from you, whether that feeling is real or just perceived. But...if someone has an outlet, and can make money doing it, I now say "more power to them". Not everyone can get in on a limited release or special edition, and that reseller is making it available to someone that missed out. If that someone is willing to pay double, that's their prerogative. 

(0) Hearts

@RGbrown I get what you are saying, though it creates cycle..

1. A LE product is released
  2. A reseller buys all the LE and it sells out, now the reseller has a monopoly on the supply
  3. The buyers can't get one, so buy from a reseller at an inflated price
  4. go back to step 1

This is no different than ticket scalping, where you end up paying 4x the face-value of something because the scalpers created a monopoly on the supply. 

So I went into my local Sephora today to browse, and I got a sample of the DDG extra strength peel. Just came home and was looking at the sample and I see it has an expiry date of 02/2017. How serious is that expiry date? Should I throw it out?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

could it be a date of manufacture? I know there were people discussing the SK-II reward sample and it is marked with a date that looks expired but turned out it was just the date of manufacture. I had a similar confusion happen to me with some random vitamins - I thought they were expired but then found out it was the manufacture date instead. I only wish these dates were clearly marked as either "expires" or "manufactured" before the date imprint. and I'm not sure if yours has the word "expires" before the date or not. hope you get a better answer than what I just wrote! 

Hello! 

Can someone explain to me the purpose of bronzer? I know most fairer girls use it to get a sun glow look. I have a few bronzers (never used one before), but if I'm already naturally tan (medium, golden skintone), do I even need it? 

I'm hesitant to try them because if I don't "need" it, I would love to give them away Smiley Happy

I know this is gross but I don't know anywhere else I can ask this question. Unfortunately, the chemo I'm currently taking is making me sweat my make up off , even in cooler weather conditions.  Obviously, I can't stop the meds so anyone know of anything I can do to keep the make up on?

I tried using a foundation for oily skin but that didn't work. When I'm not active my skin is actually really dry, way to dry. I've also tried multiple different setting sprays and I'm currently trying Evian  mineral water spray and it works a little. It makes my make up look Dewey and my makeup doesn't last more than a couple hours but it seems to be okay for a quick dinner out.

I'm worried about the summer months, we might end up going to the beach and I don't want my make up to melt off, after a hour. Is there any hope?!?

Nope, not gross at @imbeautiful! I would say the first step is making sure your face doesn't become dehydrated (tight feeling). Sometimes putting a mattifying primer everywhere can cause this, and that'll make it worse. I used to have notoriously oily skin & loved the Evian spray for when I felt dehydrated.

To set your foundation, press powder into your face with a makeup wedge. This keeps everything set much longer than dusting it on. When you blot, you'll remove sweat & leave the makeup behind. If you use a mattifying finishing spray like Urban Decay All Nighter, do the same thing. Spray a sponge and press it over your makeup. And try going for light/medium coverage as opposed to full. Full coverage foundations break down in a more noticeable way. If you sweat on your eyelids too, the MAC prep & prime eyeshadow primer is bulletproof. 

Hi @imbeautiful! First, I hope things are looking brighter for you! 

Have you tried urban decays all nighter setting sprays? I feel like that really helps keep my makeup from sliding off during concerts (and I'm dancing like crazy). I moisturizer, then spray my entire face with it. My face will be completely damp. I'll let it completely dry for maybe 10 minutes? I'll do my makeup as normal. Although I think it's recommended, I don't spray after I've finished my makeup. I feel like that ruins the makeup/longevity. 

I hope that helps! 

@imbeautiful First off, I hope chemo is going well and fight on! Smiley Happy 

You definitely need to look up Wayne Goss's powder foundation trick. BT won't let me include a link to his youtube demonstrating it, but the quick and dirty is essentially:

Moisturizer, then primer, then light dusting of loose powder, THEN foundation over this light layer of powder, and then set how you normally would (more powder/spray/etc).

I only do this for special events but it seems to last FOREVER, nothing moves off my face (it's almost a little freaky). For me, the key is moisturizing before all the layers so that I don't feel compelled to be constantly touching my face.

You might also want to try a couple of different long wear foundations; my HG is Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place and I've heard great things about UD All Nighter. 

I wanted to get a facial oil during the sale, and the one I really wanted doesn't seem to be on the website anymore (the Laura Mercier Rose oil- used up a deluxe sample and really liked it). So I decided to go for the Nude progenius omega treatment oil that has been in the sale section for who knows how long. I've always been curious about Nude products so I thought, why not? But now I am worried about it being very old- and I can't check the batch code because I can't find the brand on any of those websites where you can check manufacturing date. I am acne prone and don't want to put a very old product on my skin (shoulda considered this before I guess!)

Question is: has anyone ordered any of the Nude products from the sale section lately? If so, have they seemed off or caused any skin issues? Should it be okay since it is sealed?

Has anyone tried Tatcha's The Water Cream? thoughts?

Random and not at all makeup/skincare related: If a person (or I) has small/flat chest, small waist, proportionally larger butt (but not wider hips), is it that the person has a pear-shaped body?

It depends. Pear shapes often have curvy bottoms and broad hips, but it's hard to tell without actually seeing, @HoneydewK. I'm actually a stylist, but even I have a hard time categorizing everyone into exact shapes because not everyone neatly fits into a specific category.

I'm not an expert either, but I think a pear shape means you have hips that are significantly wider than your waist. I'm not sure how the bum relates to the shape types. @HoneydewK

My VIB sale order was delivered today and one of my lipsticks is slightly damaged. I was probably most excited to try a Kevyn Aucoin lipstick (my first) but there's a small fingerprint on the actual product and it has a slice in it. I want to return it for one that's "perfect" even though the first time I use it will no longer be a perfect tube of lipstick so it seems kind of wasteful. The fingerprint kind of grosses me out though. Just wanted to get some feedback if you all would return or just get over it and save yourself a trip. It's a $35 lipstick. I feel like it should be pretty darn perfect!

IMG_3233.JPG

I would return it, there's no way I'm using a product that's has a finger print on it, yuck! How disappointing, I'm sorry! 

Definitely exchange!