The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I would return it, there's no way I'm using a product that's has a finger print on it, yuck! How disappointing, I'm sorry! 

Definitely exchange!

RETURN! @starsandbucks Fingerprint is so, not. Okay. I hope the next one you get is flawless Smiley Happy 

Ew, the fingerprint would definitely make me exchange.  I'm so sorry it arrived damaged, what a bummer!  Smiley Sad

Exchange for sure. Even if the print wasn't there (gross), that slice could turn into a larger crack and snap the lipstick in half. @starsandbucks

Oh yes, good point! I hadn't thought of that. Thank you! I'm going to return tomorrow. I'm going to have to put blinders on to stop myself from buying more when I'm actually in the store. 

What Tarte Shape Tape concealer shade is closest to Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Honey?

[ Edited ]

Check out @accordingtoame on instagram! She has swatches of all the nars concealers next to the shape tape ones

Edit: forgot to tag you @TKLJ Smiley Happy

@whitepolkydots Thank you! Her swatches were very helpful (though I'm still going to order three from Ulta and play around with them, because I'm a crazy person). Smiley Happy

I'm terrible with SPF, I'm thinking about getting either the Coola or Supergoop SPF setting spray because it's an easy way to get some SPF in my routine. Does anyone have any experience with these? Like them/hate them? Do they mess with the makeup underneath? Am I actually getting any SPF benefits from these? 

(0) Hearts

I like the supergoop spray.  I've not noticed any change in my makeup after applying.  I keep getting minis/ds of it so I've never had to buy it, but if/when I run out, I will purchase.  

The other product I like to keep 'on the fly' is the Murad Invisiblur.  

Good luck - I wish I'd been more diligent with SPF all along.

(0) Hearts

Quick question: Has anyone used Grape water by Caudalie? I'm unsure of how it would be for a combo/oily skin. Have any of you used it? How do you like it? 

I use it, mostly just for one last little bit of hydration before bed (I keep it on my nightstand). It feels nice and mist is fine, steady and fast so it's pleasant. I don't think it's a must-have but it's a nice-to-have. It makes me feel fancy getting ready for bed. 

(0) Hearts

Ooo. good to know.. i was about to purchase it and saw the replies on here Smiley Happy Thank you! I needed it for use prior to serums/moisturizers.. I think i might look into rose water mists.. 

@kromance I have used it and have combo skin (more normal in winter). It is good for a temporary hydration boost. The mist is very fine and cooling (extra nice in the summer). It doesn't make me more or less oily and the water on my face will absorb/evaporate in 5-10 mins.

(0) Hearts

@bonafide11

Thank you for the reply Smiley Happy.. I think if anything i will probably purchase the smallest size to see how it fares with the my skin.   Do you recommend any other facial mists - specifically to use after acids treatments to help combat the dryness?

XO

(0) Hearts

@kromance I really like Josh Rosebrook's Hydrating Accelerator. It's great for anytime. Recently picked up the Dr Dennis Gross C + collagen mist and enjoying that so far.

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

This is a random question, but I need help from DIY people! I know if I want a lighter color, you should mix white. 

If im making a custom lipstick, how do I make the color brighter? Not lighter.

For example, less say it's a muted pink color, what colors/pigments should I add to make it a bright (not lighter) pink? I hope this makes sense. Thank you! 

@pinyo hopefully someone else can chime in with a better suggestion, but think yellow is what you're looking for!  Estee edit bas a lipstick brightener called "turn up" if you wanna google before/after photos. It's baaasically a yellow lipstick. The thing is.. it seems to still lighten the color a bit Smiley Sad Not sure how to fix that 

(0) Hearts

Ohhh maybe it is yellow! I'll have to buy some yellow pigment and give that a try. Thank you @whitepolkydots

@pinyo If you're wanting to make pink brighter, add a brighter pink. You're totally right that white will make it lighter. Yellow will make it a orange. Pink is red and white mixed, so if you think of adding yellow to red, you get orange. Pink and yellow will make a form or orange depending on what pigments you use, a quite muddy orange to a coral. So in your case, you're going to want to amp up the pink with a brighter pink.