The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

I'm making this thread because I simply don't want to create a new thread for every little question that pops into my head, nor do I think that most questions need a separate topic. 

I had previously just dropped whatever random question that came to mind into the Random Thread (thanks jemly!), but I had been thinking about starting this for a while and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it could be of any use. 

I'm well aware that the people who could best utilize this thread will likely remain completely oblivious to it, but if it can consolidate even a small fraction of questions -- and maybe even generate some interesting conversations both beauty and non-beauty related -- that seems worthwhile. 

Official thread mascots: The Curious Puppies.upload_5938777889175560105.gif

Official thread anti-mascot: Lucille Bluth.

upload_3177501285647811883.gif

It probably would've been wise of me to have a relatively inane question to use as an example and kick this thread off... 

Well, since I apparently don't have any pressing questions, I'll start with this two-parter:

What's your favorite drug store nail polish shade AND which official mascot puppy is your favorite? Bonus/Extra Credit: What's it's name?

Re: The Question Thread: Because not all questions need their own thread.

Nooo but you've piqued my interest.

Mine, too. I am disappointed in some of the recent changes, but still cannot imagine what they could be sued over. Any way you can screen shot or copy and paste the text, @weeeeweeeeeee?

I hope the text is legible. I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet, but here it is. @notcreative 

Spoiler
Screenshot_2016-05-04-20-20-11.png

(0) Hearts

Got it. I always see posts on subscription boxes (mostly Julep) from people upset that the plans auto renewed. I guess I can see why it may be confusing, because most magazines and newspapers do not auto renew. That said, I've never seen a beauty subscription box that did not. This probably benefits Birchbox, because it brings customers back who probably vowed never to shop there again. 

[ Edited ]

I have a makeup application question; more specifically, a desperate cry for help regarding eyebrows, eye shadow and eyeliner. After researching on YouTube and other internet sources, I still haven't managed to find anyone with an eye shape similar to mine. 

I did a little experiment, where I drew little vertical lines down my lid while looking straight ahead to check just how much of my lid disappears when my eyes are open. See the pics? I was surprised how much is just not showing. No wonder my crease shade never shows!! And that inner corner highlight bit that I see sometimes is a tough one too. When I put it where the people in the tutorials do, I feel like I’m putting sparkly shadow on the sides of my nose.

So, is there anyone out there with a similar eye shape? What do you do? Or does anyone have any pointers in general?

What is good thin eyeliner so that I don’t eat up what little lid space I have with a fat line?

Should I be putting my inner corner highlight on that flap of skin?

Just how much of my eyebrows should I remove to clean it up? I enjoy the genral shape of them, they're just a bit wild looking...

20160504_180507.jpg

20160504_180509.jpg

If anyone wants to take any of my pics and draw a diagram on it, that’ll be pretty sweet.

Thanks!

My eyes are actually pretty similar to yours — I just have more space between my lids and brows. What makes shadow difficult is not so much your eye shape as your hooded lids. The key with the crease shade is to bring it up slightly ABOVE the crease so it shows.

For liner, I personally love gel liner. I use Bobbi Brown's with an angled brush and it works better than any other liner I've tried. (Pencils go on too thick, and liquid looks too harsh.)

Your brows have a really nice shape naturally! All I'd recommend is a little bit of tidying up under your arch. 

Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 3.59.28 PM.png

(0) Hearts

@TopazBeth

Which angled brush is your favorite to use with your gel eyeliner? Or would any angled brush do the trick?

This one works great for me!

Thanks again! I will give it a shot. 

This is great!

Yup. Basically, you use color to fake where things are. 

Also, I very rarely bother with a liner on my upper lid, and if I do it's generally a colorful one acting more as a shadow/lid shade. 

I think I've pulled these pics out in the past when someone had a similar question...

image.jpegBut, you can see how she kind of cheats here by pulling color and inner corner color up higher and darkening at the top and slightly above her crease.

[ Edited ]

Hooded lids. I was never sure until now if that term applied to me. Yaaay! Now I have another term for google.

Thank you for your help!!!

[ Edited ]

I didn't used to have hooded lids, but now I do (time marches on...)  I've had to really change my eye makeup as a result.  I find that using two colors, one medium/darkish on my lids and halfway up the socket area, with a highlighter under the brow, with the addition of eyeliner, works best for me now.  I used to use a light color on my lids and a dark shadow in my crease, but I don't have room for that anymore.

The good news is it takes less time to do my makeup!

[ Edited ]

Searching for help with hooded lids will open up a WORLD of resources. Wayne Goss has a good video about hooded lids, which obviously I can't find right now. 

Even if their eye shape isn't exactly the same, check out tutorials and looks of people like Taylor Swift, Jennifer Lawrence, Blake Lively, Emma Stone... all have hooded eyes. 

I feel like poor Jennifer Lawrence only gets makeup artists who know how to flatter her face about half the time. She either looks fabulous or like a "what NOT to do" demonstration.

Oh man, I didn't realize my eyeball photos were going to turn out quite so large....

I am one of very few people who do more than 90% of their shopping online and still have no PayPal account. Can someone tell me if I link my Credit Card with PayPal, the transactions will be processed as purchases or Cash advance? 

Thankyou ladies!

They will be purchases. That said, I have a CC on file with them only for backup and I keep money on PayPal and just use cash for my purchases through them. So, you have options. They also have PayPal Credit as well which is, I believe, 0% interest on purchases over $100 for 6months.

I'm not 100% sure, but maybe you'd have to link one bank account first. 

I have my credit linked and they are processed as purchases. @fatimamummy